Best Suspension w/Near Stock Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:45 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Best Suspension w/Near Stock Ride?

So I'm looking for the optimal solution that achieves a tight controlled ride, but loses as little of the smooth stock ride as possible. Anybody have any recommendations?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive over 3K per month a needed a real smooth ride as well.

What I have so far is: Tein SS coilovers. Set them at 4 clicks from softest in front and 2 clicks from softest in back. That plus the Comptec RSB. I dropped it about 2'' in front and 1.75'' in back. It is a very smooth ride, however, when going into driveways the front lip is rubbing a little too often for me...going to raise it a 1/4 or so. Also, I am getting a camber kit installed...tried having it aligned today and it is too far off to get everything lined up for best tire wear.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:26 AM
RAR

Very nice looking ride there! May I ask what tint that is? % and type? So you like the ss coilovers huh? I was told they ride pretty harsh vs a straight shock+spring combo? I guess that depends on how tight you set them though..
Old 09-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leedogg
Very nice looking ride there! May I ask what tint that is? % and type? So you like the ss coilovers huh? I was told they ride pretty harsh vs a straight shock+spring combo? I guess that depends on how tight you set them though..
50% all the way around. I'll have to track down the receipt to find out the type. The tint shop was recommended by a number of people...so I just had them do it...Some like it a lot darker, however, I need real good visibility night, rain, etc...plus, what fun is it having a nice ride and not being seen!!

Yeah, I really do like the TEIN SS. I looked into everything, talked to a lot of people, and read a lot of these threads before making the decision. I have them on very, very soft settings...I can see the being extremely stiff if set for that. It would be nice to have the EDFC unit, but it adds a lot of cost: EDFC unit, plus new anti-sway bar, plus wiring EDFC unit... I fugue it can add another $700 plus to the set-up.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
50% all the way around. I'll have to track down the receipt to find out the type. The tint shop was recommended by a number of people...so I just had them do it...Some like it a lot darker, however, I need real good visibility night, rain, etc...plus, what fun is it having a nice ride and not being seen!!

Yeah, I really do like the TEIN SS. I looked into everything, talked to a lot of people, and read a lot of these threads before making the decision. I have them on very, very soft settings...I can see the being extremely stiff if set for that. It would be nice to have the EDFC unit, but it adds a lot of cost: EDFC unit, plus new anti-sway bar, plus wiring EDFC unit... I fugue it can add another $700 plus to the set-up.
By the way, you have a pretty sweet lookin' ride as well!!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:33 AM
WDP GURRRRL

I agree I have the Tein SS, closest ride to stock I have seen...I've had coilover's, springs, etc on many cars and this is the closest I have been to stock..with 19's
Old 09-15-2006, 07:39 AM
VS#03

Tein SS all the way with the EDFC.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:09 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Why hasn't anyone said, the Aspec suspension? Just curious?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Why hasn't anyone said, the Aspec suspension? Just curious?
, but you're right...the ASPEC suspension rides like stock, but eliminates the sloppiness of the stock suspension.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:28 AM
RAR

I was advised that an optimal setup would be tien basics on a soft setting if I want to drop it more than 1". If 1" then aspec.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:08 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by leedogg
I was advised that an optimal setup would be tien basics on a soft setting if I want to drop it more than 1". If 1" then aspec.
From what I've been able to put together the Aspec will give it about a 1" drop. I'll be able to tell you next weekend. Will get it installed Friday night.

I've also read that it you get the Aspec Suspension for the 6spd instead of the automatic it would drop a little more. But that's just what I've read on the board.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
From what I've been able to put together the Aspec will give it about a 1" drop. I'll be able to tell you next weekend. Will get it installed Friday night.

I've also read that it you get the Aspec Suspension for the 6spd instead of the automatic it would drop a little more. But that's just what I've read on the board.
ASPEC is a little more than half an inch, although a couple of people have said they got 3/4"...I know of no one who got an inch. If you have an AT, the MT suspension will lower your front a little more than the AT suspension does...supposed to make the gap the same front and back.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:40 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

If you don't mind me asking, did you order the whole kit with wheels, or just the suspension, and if it was just the suspension, where did you get it?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:02 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by blokhead
If you don't mind me asking, did you order the whole kit with wheels, or just the suspension, and if it was just the suspension, where did you get it?

Just the suspension, Acura of Las Vegas. It took a week to get from the day I ordered.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Hopefully, this fits into this discussion - I love the ride comfort and look of my set-up...TEIN SS, Comptech RSB, RonJon Wheels 19X8.5 w/ 42mm offset, and Kuhmo 245/35/19's all set at about a half finger gap (see pic above)....HOWEVER, I went to the shop to have the set-up aligned and they pointed out that the fender is cutting into the rear tires, the camber is out of spec., and adding a camber kit and putting everything into spec. will cause more rubbing!!! I did a lot of research before purchasing and installing this stuff...and I must have missed something. I thought I heard/read/was told that, with RonJons, it would not rub...what did I miss? I am going to look into rolling the fenders...any other suggestions? Maybe raise it a little? Any insight will be very much appreciated...
Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 AM
RAR

Hopefully, this fits into this discussion - I love the ride comfort and look of my set-up...TEIN SS, Comptech RSB, RonJon Wheels 19X8.5 w/ 42mm offset, and Kuhmo 245/35/19's all set at about a half finger gap (see pic above)....HOWEVER, I went to the shop to have the set-up aligned and they pointed out that the fender is cutting into the rear tires, the camber is out of spec., and adding a camber kit and putting everything into spec. will cause more rubbing!!! I did a lot of research before purchasing and installing this stuff...and I must have missed something. I thought I heard/read/was told that, with RonJons, it would not rub...what did I miss? I am going to look into rolling the fenders...any other suggestions? Maybe raise it a little? Any insight will be very much appreciated...

I was told that dropping it any more than 1" would require a camber kit. Perhaps if/once you get yours installed, have the height readjusted so everything fits nicely. Let me know what the drop comes out to with your 19's if you do this!
Old 09-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm taking my car to the body shop a week from monday for some minor mods. I think I will have him roll the rear fenders to play it safe. Once that is done I will get the Camber kit installed....I'll let you know how it all turns out...it will take two weeks to schedule everything in.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Tein Basic or SS are both excellent for lowered stance, street-sport ride which is only a little stiffer than stock, and vastly improved handling!

Plus, they are relatively well priced.

Marcus
Old 09-26-2006, 11:46 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Tires! Tires! Tires! you should be riding on 235/35/19 if you're dropping it. DONT roll your fenders. if the paint chips, you'll be pisssssssed
Old 09-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Tires! Tires! Tires! you should be riding on 235/35/19 if you're dropping it. DONT roll your fenders. if the paint chips, you'll be pisssssssed

Yeah, I now know...RonJon is being real helpful in finding a solution. Already have tires, etc...I'm doing research and will make a decision soon. Body shop wasn't willing to do rolling or shaving...afraid of doing damage. I really, really like the low look and wider tires...hope I can salvage the set-up.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have some RJ Devotions... and they are 40mm offset... I'm pretty sure I could slam mine and have no rub... and I also have 245/35/19 so maybe it's the offset? I dunno, my
Old 09-27-2006, 08:45 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
yea well, if the offset is slightly lower, your tires can be slightly wider.... i think the inspyres are +42?? correct me if im wrong. I have ASA's that are 19" +42 and i was starting to regret not getting 245's (more protection) but i plan on dropping mine and it looks like its gonna clear PERFECTLY with the 235/35...

and hell, if you need tires... i gotta give THREE thumbs up to Dunlop SP Sport Maxx ($300+ a tire) but damn it they were worth the money . did about 140 the other night.. couldnt even tell. ive had crappy tires on other cars, they dont even come close to these
Old 09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gatdammit
I have some RJ Devotions... and they are 40mm offset... I'm pretty sure I could slam mine and have no rub... and I also have 245/35/19 so maybe it's the offset? I dunno, my

dunno either, I bought what was recommended by RJ. The only options they have in a 19' is 19X7.5 w/ +50 offset or 19X8.5 w/+42 offset. Love the rims and they are doing there best to guide me through this...quick response times on questions. We'll get it figured out. It's rubbing a lot now AND the camber is way out. So, if I get the camber in line it will kill my tires. Anyway, gotta find someone to roll my fenders and do it right.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:01 PM
VS#03

You can't go wrong with shaving the fender arches......my wheel guy F1 Motoring in Sayerville NJ recommended shaving the arches instead of rolling the arches, when you roll you risk flexing the paint ending result the paint might crack or might have a indentation on your outer fender. Since I altered the arches no damage to my tire and no abnormal tire wear.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K-Shawn
You can't go wrong with shaving the fender arches......my wheel guy F1 Motoring in Sayerville NJ recommended shaving the arches instead of rolling the arches, when you roll you risk flexing the paint ending result the paint might crack or might have a indentation on your outer fender. Since I altered the arches no damage to my tire and no abnormal tire wear.

did you shave them yourself or have your wheel guy do it? Is this a DIY thing? What kind of tools, etc... are needed? Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 07:53 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am probably gonna put the a-spec springs on my stock struts. How is the ride quality? Not really too concered with handling, I just want to make sure it's gonna ride the same and still be a quiet ride.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I Only Park In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go for comptech springs not too low, about 1" drop but will be verry close to stock. i've got a set put in my 05 TSX and it ride just like a stock... BTW. i no longer have my TSX, just pickup my 06 NBP TL 5AT none NAV thinking about drop that baby with the comptech...
Old 10-12-2006, 05:53 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by maxAmillion
I am probably gonna put the a-spec springs on my stock struts. How is the ride quality? Not really too concered with handling, I just want to make sure it's gonna ride the same and still be a quiet ride.
It's going to be a bitch to get just the springs. You might as well go with the Comptech springs. Don't know how much of a drop you'll get but it's hard enough to ge the Aspec suspension alone. Well not so much at LV Acura.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:56 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by bjtexer
go for comptech springs not too low, about 1" drop but will be verry close to stock. i've got a set put in my 05 TSX and it ride just like a stock... BTW. i no longer have my TSX, just pickup my 06 NBP TL 5AT none NAV thinking about drop that baby with the comptech...

Off subject, NEED a BIGGER PICTURE of your avatar! Go back to the other one, just bigger.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I Only Park In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool sorry man

Off subject, NEED a BIGGER PICTURE of your avatar! Go back to the other one, just bigger.
sorry man could not zoom it out ... i'd try
Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With the a-spec suspension and CT RSB I would say the ride is no longer as soft and cushy as it once was...it's not bad..but definitely a lot stiffer (and the car is more nimble) than stock.

Do you have the CT RSB installed yet Lee?