The best place to put two new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best place to put two new tires?

I never got around to rotating my tires so now the fronts are wearing pretty thin. After what I've read online I thought it was common knowledge that new tires should always go on the rear, but when I called a local Acura dealer to see about getting the B service done and a couple tires mounted, the service woman said new tires should always go on the front. So I called another Acura dealer and they said the same thing.

Then I called a couple tire dealers, and one said new tires should always go on the rear, while the other said that if the car is front wheel drive and I'm doing a lot of city driving then it's best to put new tires on the front. That's three sources I've called that said putting new tires in the front can be best, while the vast majority of online advice I've found says putting new tires on the rear is always best and a few sources have even said it's mandatory by law in some states.

Why all the conflicting advice?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
yea its a FWD car so you'll want grip in the front
Old 07-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Antonio K
Why all the conflicting advice?
It's a question of where to best avoid losing traction.

Tire Rack says new tires go to the rear, regardless: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52 .

Understeer is easier to correct than oversteer. To avoid losing traction and going into oversteer, better tires go on the rear, regardless of whether the vehicle is FWD or RWD (or AWD).
Old 07-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
FWD Car= Front
Old 07-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd say wherever the drive wheels are. If RWD you'll have the grip / traction when applying power and you'll also prevent oversteer a little better- yes understeer is more manageable for the average driver, and if FWD you'll have the fresh rubber where the demands of a FWD car are highest- up front. Even if the rear came around on your FWD, you have brand new tires up front. Aim the wheel, hit the gas. AWD I'd lean toward new ones in the rear. But hey, it's just an opinion.

Last edited by 3FIFTY'07TL; 07-21-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
FWD = front
RWD = rear

The drive wheels should get the most grip. This is assuming that you don't NEED 4 tires, you're just putting 2 new tires on because of wear.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
I guess no one does any research any more??

The tires with the best tread should always go on the rear regardless of drive axle/s....
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I guess no one does any research any more??

The tires with the best tread should always go on the rear regardless of drive axle/s....
I've done the research, and know why they say to do this. Do you?

Here, let me help.

Hydroplaning. Specifically oversteer caused by hydroplaning.

Installing the new tires on the rear keeps the car in an understeering condition during hydroplaning, which is safer than an oversteering condition.

However, I'm just fine with hydroplane oversteer, which is a near impossibility.

You do it your way, I'll do it mine. In this case, it's personal preference that would dictate where I install tires, not research.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
For safety new in the rear, for best wear new in the front... that's why you're getting conflicting advice. Ideally all 4 tires are purchased at the same time so you rotate to keep them somewhat equal. In your case, I would start in the front to give them an opportunity to wear down to match the rears (since summer and no snow/bad driving conditions yet), then rotate. Otherwise, you'll always be replacing 2 at a time. My two cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by ds03:
NBP04TL4ME (07-23-2015), VisualEchos (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by ds03
For safety new in the rear, for best wear new in the front... that's why you're getting conflicting advice. Ideally all 4 tires are purchased at the same time so you rotate to keep them somewhat equal. In your case, I would start in the front to give them an opportunity to wear down to match the rears (since summer and no snow/bad driving conditions yet), then rotate. Otherwise, you'll always be replacing 2 at a time. My two cents.
Perfectly said.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Advanced

I already bought the new tires, but just how bad are these treads?<br/>
Old 07-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Antonio K

I already bought the new tires, but just how bad are these treads?<br/>
Depends where you live & driving conditions. Here in Ohio I'd be looking to replace those in the Fall for sure.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Western PA, so not far from Ohio.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Always to the front in a FWD car. First, most of the braking force is applied to the front wheels. Second, when you corner while it's wet, you want all your grip in front, if your front tires are slick and the back are brand new, you'll lose traction in the front a instead of turning you'll go straight. If your front tires are new and the back are slick, the back might or might not lose traction, but they usually just follow. Third, your engine is in front and so is 75% of the cars weight. It would be only logical physics that you want to apply the most traction where the most force is applied.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
We recommend putting new tires on the rear for safety. Why do companies focus on safety rather than other factors like wear? Liability. Companies would much rather deal with customers who maybe weren't pleased with their tire's longevity than a lawsuit associated with injury or death resulting from incorrectly advising a customer on axle recommendation. I have this question and argument every single day, some choose to listen, some don't. Ultimately it is the individual's decision but I prefer my customers have the safest recommendation as I do not personally want an injury or death on my conscience due to incorrect advice. Not questioning anyone else's reasoning for installing them on the front, there are many understandable points.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonny@tirerack:
350 (07-30-2015), Oh Sickest TL (07-29-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by sonny@tirerack
We recommend putting new tires on the rear for safety. Why do companies focus on safety rather than other factors like wear? Liability. Companies would much rather deal with customers who maybe weren't pleased with their tire's longevity than a lawsuit associated with injury or death resulting from incorrectly advising a customer on axle recommendation. I have this question and argument every single day, some choose to listen, some don't. Ultimately it is the individual's decision but I prefer my customers have the safest recommendation as I do not personally want an injury or death on my conscience due to incorrect advice. Not questioning anyone else's reasoning for installing them on the front, there are many understandable points.
This.

The thing is, if 1 person in 1000 has an issue, the company is going to err on the side of caution because they remember the cost of the lawsuit. People need to take that into consideration. In this case, no on this board has probably ever had a problem, and likely has never even HEARD of a person that did, but the recommendation stands.

I really can't say, personally, I only buy sets of 4.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I'll agree with rear, better to lose traction in the front than to have the rear swing out when it's wet/snow etc. Personally for a daily driver I always go with 4 new tires, I'd recommend rotating more often.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
if what you want to know what is the safest place to place 2 new tires, its always going to be the rear... just like everyone else has said, understeer is easier to control than oversteer for the majority of the average driver on the road

i guess if you were going to a drag strip than placing the new tires on the front would make complete sense
Old 08-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
In the past I've quoted Tire Rack's statement that new should go on the rear, however, personally, I put them on the front.
Ever go into a curve in inclement weather driving a heavy FWD vehicle with worn/bald tires on the front? If it doesn't turn, one doesn't need to worry about the back coming around.

Many years ago I was into the little Ford Fiesta (circa 1980) and I don't care what tires were on the rear, it would come around. Even with new, wider 50 series tires on all corners, with a weight of 1600 lbs and only 500 lbs on the rear it didn't take much for the rear to come around at the most unexpected time.

Just my take.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
In the past I've quoted Tire Rack's statement that new should go on the rear, however, personally, I put them on the front.
Ever go into a curve in inclement weather driving a heavy FWD vehicle with worn/bald tires on the front? If it doesn't turn, one doesn't need to worry about the back coming around.

Many years ago I was into the little Ford Fiesta (circa 1980) and I don't care what tires were on the rear, it would come around. Even with new, wider 50 series tires on all corners, with a weight of 1600 lbs and only 500 lbs on the rear it didn't take much for the rear to come around at the most unexpected time.

Just my take.
Then again, you and I both know you shouldn't drive in inclement weather with very worn/bald tires.
I don't disagree with your statement regarding making sure you have traction in the front, but definitely have a problem with anyone who puts themselves and mostly others at risks by being reckless and driving with bald tires.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
Then again, you and I both know you shouldn't drive in inclement weather with very worn/bald tires.
I don't disagree with your statement regarding making sure you have traction in the front, but definitely have a problem with anyone who puts themselves and mostly others at risks by being reckless and driving with bald tires.
As you're taking it to the extreme, so let's say the fronts are 5/32" and the rears are new, do you still believe that the front will track as it should in inclement weather, no way. The fact is that with some tire makes, the front will hydroplane when worn, not bald, and that makes fór a scary ride, no turn in when needed.
In fact, I've had new tires that would hydroplane, poor tread design, lift the front tires right up off the surface at @ 40/50 mph.

Last edited by Turbonut; 08-06-2015 at 10:00 PM.