Best Coilover that gives stock feel??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017 | 12:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sockr1
yea i agree the preload probably won't help much and that it is just an underdamped shock from tein. if i didn't run (and love) the TEIN EDFC Active setup, i would have probably gone BCs for coilovers when i replaced my Tein SS, i hear great things about them. just weird that this issue happens more with the Flex than it does the SA...you would think they would be to the same specs (they may be, i don't know)

when i am in my car alone i run 2/4 (from stiff, F/R) and when my wife is in the car i run 4/6 or 5/7
Tein's quality is DEFINITELY better than BC. I wasn't that impressed with the BC's that I've experienced, in terms of ride either. Tein's ride dynamic has improved a lot. I've owned the original Flex like 14 years ago. I've also owned the SS and RE's.

The flex was bouncy AF. But...I was also clueless at the time.

The SS? Meh. Maybe they were worn out. Not hugely bad. Not great.

RE's...irrelevant. They're not for the street.

All the SA's I've owned and installed seemed "right on" for moderately lowered street cars. But still under damped like a MF.

The SA and Street Flex have the same spring rates. I would assume the Flex has a more agressive damper.

The flex, by design, will likely have a shorter stroke.
The SA responds well to preload. Give the damper room to work...and keep it away from bumpstops as much as you can. Also run the damper fairly stiff. Live with the small amount of float caused by very gradual dips. Without a bunch of front preload, the car rides like shit. Total shit (my experience).

I would assume further that the street flex would benefit from added preload as well.

Again...the correct approach is to remove the shocks.

Measure the travel.

Determine if an issue exists.

Hypothesize a solution.

Set initial preload with the shocks UNINSTALLED. You will find this just about impossible without UNINSTALLING them from the car.

Check your hypothesis.

Like some kind of GD scientist.

Once you have your initial preload number written down (with some sort of mark/correlation to thread position), you can modify it while the shock is installed.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017 | 12:30 PM
Safety Car

My summer goals:

-Rent a condo/house with a garage.

-Finish my 800,000,000 lingering fabrication/installation projects.

-Find a TL to take apart and measure.

Anyway, my apologies for over complicating this topic.

To answer OP's question (even though he's gone), Marcus' suggestions are probably good. He seems to know the product well.

The SA/SAZ is fine if you want to MODERATELY lower the car and have it ride well. In my experiences, the SA rides better than the awful TL stock suspension. I've used my TSX set for about 60K+. They're worn...but I am waiting til spring to either replace them or the car. 60K is about 2X Tein's generally suggested rebuild intervals of 30K miles. Who the f#&k rebuilds $600 coilovers? Wear out. Replace. Enjoy.

The SF/SFZ is about as plush as your ride is gonna get if you want something that lowers agressively.

Last edited by BROlando; 01-18-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2017 | 12:32 PM
Safety Car

^^ good info! but can you explain more about only preloading before installing? because you can and are meant to change preload after it's already installed on the car. you just have to make sure the spring isn't loaded when setting preload and get the actual compressed length of the spring. you just measure the length of the spring where it seats on the spring seats (this was given to me directly from TEIN)

my initial preload was done before installation and was set to exact tein specifcations. after installation i added 3-5mm on front and rear to get where i'm currently at. i don't float as much as jeff (sickestTL) but i believe i can dial it in a little more.

are you talking about buddy club or BC Racing? I'm talking about BC Racing which i've only heard great things about. another member on here has the flex and he rode in his friends car with the BC Racing coilovers and said it was night and day difference

Last edited by sockr1; 01-18-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2017 | 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sockr1
^^ good info! but can you explain more about only preloading before installing? because you can and are meant to change preload after it's already installed on the car. you just have to make sure the spring isn't loaded when setting preload and get the actual compressed length of the spring. you just measure the length of the spring where it seats on the spring seats (this was given to me directly from TEIN)

my initial preload was done before installation and was set to exact tein specifcations. after installation i added 3-5mm on front and rear to get where i'm currently at. i don't float as much as jeff (sickestTL) but i believe i can dial it in a little more.

are you talking about buddy club or BC Racing? I'm talking about BC Racing which i've only heard great things about. another member on here has the flex and he rode in his friends car with the BC Racing coilovers and said it was night and day difference
My statement about preload was:
The *initial* preload has to be set prior to installing on the vehicle. The vehicle's bushing bind and suspension load will make it ridiculously difficult to set your initial after install.

So...initial setting prior to install. Side note: That's why I built that rig you see above. It holds the shock in place so one can set preload without struggling.

After that, the preload can be adjusted whilst on the car.

Which is the same as what Tein is saying.

By BC, I was referring to BC. Borchuan (sp). Not Buddy Club. Tein's quality is better for sure. Desirable ride traits are subjective. I didn't really love the BC's. I think Teins are better overall.
Old 02-01-2017 | 09:13 PM
Alien from Mars

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
#1 Suggestion as an alternative to the A-Spec: Koni Orange + Eiback Pro-Kit Springs or H&R Sport Springs
Yes...these are OE shock and spring replacements and YES they are coil-over dampers. They are not really adjustable for height in the same way that tuner "coilovers" are though. But since you said "since aspec is discontinued" I feel this is the overall best alternative to the A-Spec.

#2 Suggest as a coilover that will RIDE SIMILARLY TO STOCK, as in comfortable and not too jarring, but has an OEM-like level of refinement, you will probably want to first look at Tein Street Advance Z (notice I said Street Advance Z versus Street Advance...). On the softer settings this kit will allow you to get a stock-like feel, and the best part is you can also fine tune it if you feel as though you do want a more sporting A-Spec feel. You will definitely need to have some concession there because no aftermarket suspension is going to ride just like stock.

#3 beyond this you are going up-market to H&R Coilovers which feature Bilstein dampers, or KW Var 1s....these are both in another price and performance category and may not give you what you are looking for.

PS: Roland_Bluntzs Yes it is a bit odd that Tein's dampers work this way. Do note that the EDFC does allow for a 32-point adjustment within the specified range...it gives a higher resolution than the knurled knob does.
PPS: Roland, I could chime in on the Street Flex as well as I do have experience with them. For the TSX/Accord/TL applications, Tein lengthened the stroke of the Street Flex versus the FLEX in the rear. This allows for more flexible preload setting (my TSX loved 1/2" of preload at Sonoma), but with zero preload it road and swayed like a caddy. I just keep it at 1/2" preload all the time as it is a casual use car. The rear of the Street Flex is very well tuned for this platform for street sport use and is only mildly under-dampened for HPDE (not a "track car") use.
Hi

I am interested in ordering suspension set maybe now or near future, is there any promo you're running for AZ members ?
Old 04-23-2022 | 08:11 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Labbats
Just took the plunge and bought the Koni Orange + Eiback Pro-Kit Springs you suggested for my 2008 TL-S from your site. Costco is running a $70 off four Michelin promo so got my Super Sports ordered as well. Been a long time coming and am looking forward to the results! I appreciate the advice and the original post as I was looking for the same thing.
Hey you never came back with an update on how this setup was for you, how did you like it?
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:18 AM
10th Gear

Three years later, and I'm also wondering how the setup was. I'm thinking about getting the Koni Orange and Eibach or Tein springs myself. Anyone have this setup?
Old 04-11-2023 | 09:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLDontFailMe;[url=tel:16880721
16880721[/url]]Three years later, and I'm also wondering how the setup was. I'm thinking about getting the Koni Orange and Eibach or Tein springs myself. Anyone have this setup?
I have done Truhart shocks with Tein S.Techs on my old 07 accord. Slightly stiffer then stock but very close. This would be similar to the Koni STRTs you mentioned. On my TL I have Tein Basis Coilovers. The original suspension had 160k on it so I’m not sure what it felt like new but these are way better. I find the ride very comfortable and I’m lowered over 2in all around. I’ve had stiff coilovers before (rev9) and this ain’t even close. Reminds me of being lowered on the S.Techs
TLDontFailMe (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023 | 06:18 AM
E39
Racer

Same here wondering how the Koni orange plus tein h tech combo would ride on poor roads.
Old 04-12-2023 | 06:22 AM
E39
Racer

Originally Posted by Ltfa182
I have done Truhart shocks with Tein S.Techs on my old 07 accord. Slightly stiffer than stock but very close. This would be similar to the Koni STRTs you mentioned. On my TL I have Tein Basis Coilovers. The original suspension had 160k on it so I’m not sure what it felt like new but these are way better. I find the ride very comfortable and I’m lowered over 2in all around. I’ve had stiff coilovers before (rev9) and this ain’t even close. Reminds me of being lowered on the S.Techs
How are the roads around you? Truharts are shortened shocks right? Atleast for the TL they are. Koni orange I believe are stock length.
Old 04-12-2023 | 06:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by E39
Same here wondering how the Koni orange plus tein h tech combo would ride on poor roads.
I’ve had Koni oranges on a Civic Si with Tein S.Techs. It felt like stock. They are meant to be OEM replacements. The Tein H.Tech and S.Techs are softer springs. So they won’t jar you when you hit bumps. Bad roads are bad roads, but it’s going to feel similar to stock especially with H.Techs having such a mild drop.

Originally Posted by E39
How are the roads around you? Truharts are shortened shocks right? Atleast for the TL they are. Koni orange I believe are stock length.
I live in VA Beach and the roads are crap. Correct, Truharts are shortened shocks and they are supposedly designed for shorter springs. They say you can’t use OEM springs with them. Konis can be paired with whatever springs you want, but they are meant to be OEM replacements. When I had them on my civic, they last like 100k before they needed to be replaced again. I brought up my accord because it’s the same platform as the 3G TL. It was an 07 AV6 Sedan 6MT. My current coilovers were actually originally on an accord. All I had to do what change top hats and they bolted right up. So I think the spring rates for the aftermarket parts are pretty much all the same between the two cars.
TLDontFailMe (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023 | 03:28 PM
E39
Racer

Originally Posted by Ltfa182
I’ve had Koni oranges on a Civic Si with Tein S.Techs. It felt like stock. They are meant to be OEM replacements. The Tein H.Tech and S.Techs are softer springs. So they won’t jar you when you hit bumps. Bad roads are bad roads, but it’s going to feel similar to stock especially with H.Techs having such a mild drop
Thing is the civic si and TL are pretty drastically different cars so I wonder if the results would translate.
Old 06-04-2023 | 08:49 AM
10th Gear

I just renewed a bunch of suspension parts on my TL Type-S. As far as shocks and springs - I went with Koni orange shocks paired with Eibach springs. I was not looking for an aggressive setup, and I feel like this pairing hit the nail on the head. Not overly stiff, and handles well.

Old 06-04-2023 | 01:59 PM
E39
Racer

Originally Posted by TLDontFailMe
I just renewed a bunch of suspension parts on my TL Type-S. As far as shocks and springs - I went with Koni orange shocks paired with Eibach springs. I was not looking for an aggressive setup, and I feel like this pairing hit the nail on the head. Not overly stiff, and handles well.
How are the roads around you? How does it compare to oem suspension? Did eibach give you a lower drop in the back than front? Any pics?
Old 06-06-2023 | 01:44 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by E39
How are the roads around you? How does it compare to oem suspension? Did eibach give you a lower drop in the back than front? Any pics?
I live in the Northeast, so the roads have plenty of variation and bumps. I can't compare it to the OEM suspension very accurately, because I don't really know how that felt. My suspension, which was OEM, had 212,000 miles on it. Bushings, struts and other components were shot. So it's difficult to compare to what the OEM felt like, as mine was in such bad shape. My goal was for a slight upgrade in performance over what would have been the OEM setup, but did not want too harsh of a ride. I wasn't really interested in lowering the vehicle so much, so I researched options that would give a minimal drop. Heeltoe has an option to build an "A-Spec" style package, with options for shocks and springs. I believe the Tein springs would have been even less aggressive of a drop.

Current setup - Koni Orange / Eibach springs

E39 (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023 | 05:38 PM
E39
Racer

Originally Posted by TLDontFailMe
I live in the Northeast, so the roads have plenty of variation and bumps. I can't compare it to the OEM suspension very accurately, because I don't really know how that felt. My suspension, which was OEM, had 212,000 miles on it. Bushings, struts and other components were shot. So it's difficult to compare to what the OEM felt like, as mine was in such bad shape. My goal was for a slight upgrade in performance over what would have been the OEM setup, but did not want too harsh of a ride. I wasn't really interested in lowering the vehicle so much, so I researched options that would give a minimal drop. Heeltoe has an option to build an "A-Spec" style package, with options for shocks and springs. I believe the Tein springs would have been even less aggressive of a drop.

Current setup - Koni Orange / Eibach springs
Nice that looks really good. Perfect drop imo and exactly what I’m looking for. On bumps and potholes does it feel like the suspension bottomed out? As in does it feel like you hit the bump stops and it’s too harsh? Almost like you have no suspension travel or does it soak things up as you would expect any decent setup to do so? Did you trim the bump stops btw?