Ball Joint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joint Removal

I am in the process of removing and replacing my control arms and upgrading to ASpec all the way around. I have done a search and not found alternatives here for the 3G. What are my options to remove the ball joint? Techniques include BFH (big freakin hammer), various tools (pitman pullers, forks, ball joint removers) and there is even a video or two on youtube involving a socket and popping. I've tried several of these so far but have not made any progress:

BFH-probably too lightly as I am not sure where to hit without screwing up and needing to replace more parts

Tools-I purchased a ball joint removal tool from Napa but it is not big enough to get around the joint. I have tried a 3 arm puller but it won't lock on with all 3 arms and using 2 makes it off center. I will try and get a simple U shaped puller later today.

Youtube-I can't make out what they are doing in the video to give it a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-M-...eature=related

Hopefully someone can shed some updated light on this and describe a technique or specific tool.
Thanks as always!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Just go to advance autoparts or whatever and rent a ball joint separator. Place the separator between the top and bottom of the joint, whack it with a bfh a couple of times and it should fall apart.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Thanks J. Nice car by the way. Unfortunately, I have been to all 4 of the local chains: Autozone, Kragen, Pepboys and Napa. Either the clerks and I am not looking for the right tool or we are REALLY making this too complicated. Keep in mind, I am taking extra time on this because I don't want to tear the boots. Plus, I would actually like to learn something and use the right tool.

Since my first post, I did try both a larger fixed U clamp as well as a 2 arm pitman puller. The last effort was the closest but, each time the pressure began increasing, the hook portion of the arms would begin to twist off the control arm.

Also, I found lots of old posts on some Honda websites but, the joints seem to be a little different and I don't believe those techniques will work for our TLs.

Lastly, there is an old post here that gives very thorough instructions from the shop manual (which I have a copy of). But its the tool that I am missing, not the step by step. Has someone actually done this on our 3Gs before and shed some light on what worked?

Thanks for any help,
Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same problem....such a pain separating the ball joint from the LCA
Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I did this quite a while ago but from memory I just loosened the nut and gave it a good pop with a hammer from underneath. You don't actually have to separate the balljoint from what I remember.

You can always do what the bodyshop did to me. Leave the nut off and drive around for a few days. The balljoint will eventually separate and leave you wrecked and stranded.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
IHC,

i am installing the ingalls rear camber kit in the next few days. do i need a ball joint seperator? what other methods could i use during the install?

i am having a hard time finding one, and would rather do the install myself rather than pay someone god knows what to do it.

any advice for me?

thank you.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Don't want to use a fork as it will destroy the boot and joint.
Car on stands, loosen the nut to the bottom of the threads and turn the wheel and place a long bar under the arm on the knuckle and over the lower arm near the ball joint. Lift the suspension slightly, block of wood on the jack under the ball joint, press down on the bar and rap the side of the lower arm at the ball joint.
You get the idea.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Don't want to use a fork as it will destroy the boot and joint.
Car on stands, loosen the nut to the bottom of the threads and turn the wheel and place a long bar under the arm on the knuckle and over the lower arm near the ball joint. Lift the suspension slightly, block of wood on the jack under the ball joint, press down on the bar and rap the side of the lower arm at the ball joint.
You get the idea.
damn you just saved me...i was about to rent a ball joint seperator from my local auto parts store. the fork...

can you send me a PM with anymore tips you have? this is my first time doing this, and want to do it right. sorry...novice here when it comes to this install...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of time there are little nubs near the ball joint on the knuckle that give you a good spot to aim for when you use a hammer. Honda does make a special too to do the same job but so far I havent needed to find one. Also, I may be a bit clueless but why do you need to remove the lca to install the aspec suspension, isnt it just a new spring and strut?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Advanced

my collars were stuck on the ball joint after i separated them from the lca. I removed the collars from the ball joint with the ball joint separator and they were undamaged. anyone see any reason they cant be pressed back in? i don't see any reason why I couldnt reuse them.