BAD experience - tire install

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005 | 10:42 AM
Racer

BAD experience - tire install

Took my car to Sears to get my Falkens a few weeks ago. They had the best price so I went with them. I am planning a trip this weekend so I always like to check the tire pressure prior to going. It was at 42! Should be 32 for our 3rd gen TLs...

Now I am not saying there are not good deals at non dealerships nor is this an indictment of any auto-service provider that is a non-dealer. Also, this is not to say that all dealerships rule. However, you do pay more and typically you DO get a different class of service at a dealership. Things like this simply do not happen (in my experience) and the people are simply better trained.

Anyway, I was pretty pissed (at myself for not checking earlier and at them for doing something so basic...so wrong). I am calling to give them a piece of my mind!
Old 10-05-2005 | 11:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fishacura
Took my car to Sears to get my Falkens a few weeks ago. They had the best price so I went with them. I am planning a trip this weekend so I always like to check the tire pressure prior to going. It was at 42! Should be 32 for our 3rd gen TLs...

Now I am not saying there are not good deals at non dealerships nor is this an indictment of any auto-service provider that is a non-dealer. Also, this is not to say that all dealerships rule. However, you do pay more and typically you DO get a different class of service at a dealership. Things like this simply do not happen (in my experience) and the people are simply better trained.

Anyway, I was pretty pissed (at myself for not checking earlier and at them for doing something so basic...so wrong). I am calling to give them a piece of my mind!

if you are in PA and its been warm out during the afternoons, there is no worry man. If you drive on a warm day for a while and then check tire pressure it usually will be 10 psi higher, especially after driving on the highway

regardless, i hope all is well with the car and good luck

sang
Old 10-05-2005 | 11:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sangwl
if you are in PA and its been warm out during the afternoons, there is no worry man. If you drive on a warm day for a while and then check tire pressure it usually will be 10 psi higher, especially after driving on the highway

regardless, i hope all is well with the car and good luck

sang

I WISH! 70 degrees today and 2 miles on a city street...5 mins filling up at a standstil, prior to checking.
Old 10-05-2005 | 11:11 AM
Advanced

Im from the burgh. PA temp is awful.
Old 10-05-2005 | 11:14 AM
Pro

I am confident that any tire installer gets the basic training (although not needed) to fill air to the manufacturer's recommended standards. I dont think this has anything to do with non-dealerships and dealerships...this has to do with the individual who filled air in your tires (could have very well been a guy working @ the dealership)...dont think you require "training" to know how much air to fill...
Old 10-05-2005 | 11:31 AM
One on the right for me

that doesnt really seem like a big deal. you would probably get the same 'bad' service from most dealerships also
Old 10-05-2005 | 11:59 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by scrb09
I am confident that any tire installer gets the basic training (although not needed) to fill air to the manufacturer's recommended standards. I dont think this has anything to do with non-dealerships and dealerships...this has to do with the individual who filled air in your tires (could have very well been a guy working @ the dealership)...dont think you require "training" to know how much air to fill...

Couldn't agree more! Service, whether god or bad, is generally a cause of the incompetence of a specific individual or a more systemic issue caused by a lack of leadership at the management level. You can't really use a blanket statement to knock an entire group based on a few idiots that happen to be members of that group (ie. non-dealerships vs. dealerships)

BTW - My local dealership blows but I've had outstanding service with past cars at other dealerships. They're not all good and they're not all bad.
Old 10-05-2005 | 12:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
Couldn't agree more! Service, whether god or bad, is generally a cause of the incompetence of a specific individual or a more systemic issue caused by a lack of leadership at the management level. You can't really use a blanket statement to knock an entire group based on a few idiots that happen to be members of that group (ie. non-dealerships vs. dealerships)

BTW - My local dealership blows but I've had outstanding service with past cars at other dealerships. They're not all good and they're not all bad.

There is however a correlation between what you pay and what you get! Not all the time mind you...but if you are able to hire paying $50/hr versus $30/hr you are going to be able to select from a wider group and hire better people. Simple economics. That being said, there are idiots everywhere. But the chances of getting one are better at quick-stop places pure and simple.
Old 10-05-2005 | 12:40 PM
Advanced

Wow! I was expecting to read that they scratched your wheels and mounted the tires wrong. I would hate to bring you the wrong salad dressing if I was a waiter. What's the big deal. You checked the pressure and found it to be high. If they filled it to 36lb, it would get up to 42lb within five minutes of driving. When I used to take my NSX to the track, I'd check the tire pressure as soon as I got out the car and I always had to make adjustments. My pressures would deviate almost 10-15lbs depending on the time of day, how hard I was driving, or what compound I was using.

I really don't think that you need to make a big stink out of something so harmless. It's not like they gave the car back to you with no air in the tires.

Sit back and have a beer.
Old 10-05-2005 | 12:56 PM
Registered but harmless

Might be the gauge and not the installer

FYI, tire pressure gauges vary, esp. service station gauges. I use my own (certified, warranted w/i half-pound, etc.) and have found that service station, repair shop and service gauges always are off, some by as much as 6 lbs. I also have a cheap pencil-type gauge that seems to mirror my regular gauge, so presumably it is the shop gauges that are off.
I have an independent Honda/Acura shop that works on my cars, but always instruct it not to adjust air in tires since I like to run 2-3 lbs higher on Integra and Civic.
Old 10-05-2005 | 02:33 PM

Its so common...these tire guys don't have a clue what is the correct tire pressure.

I once took my mom's car to Sam's Club for a tire rotation/rebalance as it was free, since I bought the tires there.

I told the guy to inflate the tires to the pressure listed on the driver's side door label, the pressure was supposed to be 30 Front, 26 Rear. He told me that he could get sued if he didn't inflate all 4 tires to the same pressure, and claims that the owner's manual and the label on the door was incorrect. After much argument, he eventually inflated the tires to the proper pressure.

Those $10/hr techs are just idiots sometimes.

Mike