anyone consider these 2 Michelin products?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
anyone consider these 2 Michelin products?

http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...paxsystem.html

Pax System is available on the 2005 Honda Odyssey
and it seems can be fitted to any vehicle...

and then there's Michelin's runflats..

http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...opressure.html

would be nice to have either, then you wouldn't really need a spare tire, and that translates to have more space with work with in terms of a sound system
Old 12-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Looks good. Will this tire be much heavier than the regular tire?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I would imagine so, also, I'm not sure if the PAX system requires a special wheel or not... doesn't really say
Old 12-31-2004, 10:32 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We replaced our first Pax tire on an Odyssey a few days ago. The wheel & tire came mounted & balanced directly from Honda, in what appeared to be a case for a bass drum.

The wheel/tire combo was incredibly heavy, probably close to 100 pounds in my technician's estimation.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:05 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't runflats incredibly difficult to mount? That said, we'd probably run a higher risk of damaged wheels if we went with runflats!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Very interesting.

The web page states that the Pax system uses "asymmetrical diameters and an unseatable anchoring system". The warranty info also states that Pax system tires must only be mounted on Pax system wheels by a trained and authorized Pax system retailer using Pax system authorized equipment. That certainly sounds like non-standard wheels. I'd bet the unsprung weight of those wheels/tires would be pretty noticable. I wonder how the RF tire pressure sensors are powered.

The zero pressures look pretty cool. I might have to consider those for the war department's Odyssey when it comes time for new tires on that car.

Mike
Old 01-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
Looks good. Will this tire be much heavier than the regular tire?
When I was buying my Pilot Sport All Seasons, I asked about the run-flat version. They said the run flat version is 3 pounds heavier per tire. (At least for the sizes I was looking at)
Old 01-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by svtmike
I wonder how the RF tire pressure sensors are powered
If it's anything like the direct monitoring systems available from the factory on many cars, it's probably powered by a rechargeable battery that recharges with the kinetic energy of the rotating tires.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
Aren't runflats incredibly difficult to mount? That said, we'd probably run a higher risk of damaged wheels if we went with runflats!
Spoke to a tech about these today and he said they are harder to mount. Some places are getting new equipment to assist.... Wheel damage from ZPs? Naw, I don't see how they would be any different from a regular except having a stiffer sidewall....
Old 01-05-2005, 01:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by avs007
If it's anything like the direct monitoring systems available from the factory on many cars, it's probably powered by a rechargeable battery that recharges with the kinetic energy of the rotating tires.
Actually, most of the systems from the factory don't even have sensors in the tire. They monitor the revolutions per minute and compare those results on different tires to determine if a wheel is running low. Notoriously prone to error...

Aftermarket TPMS (such as SmarTire), use sensors that are mounted in the wheel. They use lithium batteries (with a 5 yr life) and aren't rechargable (when they are dead, they're dead). This system monitors tire pressure and temperature in each wheel.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like ppl will get hard time to find a dealer/tire_store when it needs repair...

Don't like it... (Withou pre-order or appointment, our tires are already difficult to get replaced...)
Old 01-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbriank
Actually, most of the systems from the factory don't even have sensors in the tire. They monitor the revolutions per minute and compare those results on different tires to determine if a wheel is running low. Notoriously prone to error...
That's why I said direct monitoring, like the ones in my Infiniti G35. All of Infiniti's tire pressure monitors are direct monitoring, with a wireless transponder in each wheel. I believe all of BMW's is like this too, as well as the higher end GM cars.

I don't think GM makes the TPS which uses the ABS sensors anymore, as they only did that when Delphi made their ABS units, but they dropped TPS when they started using Bosch ABS units. But when I was looking for aftermarket TPS for my aftermarket rims, (factory ones won't fit), I saw that Infiniti and GM use the same transponder module, so they must have re-introduced TPS, using direct monitoring. I saw that Ford, Lincoln, and Jaguar also had TPS transponders as well.

They are expensive as hell though. At least through the dealer anyways. Infiniti wants $400 each for the TPS modules. I hope they one day come out with a slim profile one, so I can put them in my aftermarket rims. It was a cool feature with my stock rims.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

That's why I said direct monitoring, like the ones in my Infiniti G35. All of Infiniti's tire pressure monitors are direct monitoring, with a wireless transponder in each wheel. I believe all of BMW's is like this too, as well as the higher end GM cars.

I don't think GM makes the TPS which uses the ABS sensors anymore, as they only did that when Delphi made their ABS units, but they dropped TPS when they started using Bosch ABS units. But when I was looking for aftermarket TPS for my aftermarket rims, (factory ones won't fit), I saw that Infiniti and GM use the same transponder module, so they must have re-introduced TPS, using direct monitoring. I saw that Ford, Lincoln, and Jaguar also had TPS transponders as well.

They are expensive as hell though. At least through the dealer anyways. Infiniti wants $400 each for the TPS modules. I hope they one day come out with a slim profile one, so I can put them in my aftermarket rims. It was a cool feature with my stock rims.
Where did you get $400 from? Sounds like the dealer is snowing you. Check www.smartire.com or www.tirerack.com..... I just got my TPMS system installed for under $300 (parts and labor).... The service tech, at my local dealer, put the unit in the dash next to the power accessory (behind the gear selector for the transmission). It looks sweeeeet!

If you do get one installed, remember:

1. Make sure they install the sensor near the valve stem (to prevent damage during mounting and dismounting tires from the rim).
2. Trim off the extra metal off the band (leave one inch from the clamp).
3. Road force balance the tire (not required, but ensures a perfect balance)
Old 01-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbriank
Where did you get $400 from? Sounds like the dealer is snowing you. Check www.smartire.com or www.tirerack.com..... I just got my TPMS system installed for under $300 (parts and labor).... The service tech, at my local dealer, put the unit in the dash next to the power accessory (behind the gear selector for the transmission). It looks sweeeeet!

If you do get one installed, remember:

1. Make sure they install the sensor near the valve stem (to prevent damage during mounting and dismounting tires from the rim).
2. Trim off the extra metal off the band (leave one inch from the clamp).
3. Road force balance the tire (not required, but ensures a perfect balance)
I was referring to the factory TPMs that came on the car. The dealer charges $400 each for the part. And if I wanted them installed, I would have to pay another $65 dollars for them to use their scan-tool (Proprietary one), to have my PCM learn the new TPM sensors.

I considered going aftermarket, if I could find one that fits my new rims, but I'd like to stick with the same OEM company if I can, so I could use the existing TPM light in my dash.... So for now, only my stock wheels have TPMs, my tuner wheels don't...

Just remember the dealer always overcharges for everything. They also charge $850 each for my stock 18" rims too. And those are cast wheels. The new 05' Forged 19" rims, are $1800 each at the dealer. (This is without tires and without TPM modules)
Old 01-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

I was referring to the factory TPMs that came on the car. The dealer charges $400 each for the part. And if I wanted them installed, I would have to pay another $65 dollars for them to use their scan-tool (Proprietary one), to have my PCM learn the new TPM sensors.

I considered going aftermarket, if I could find one that fits my new rims, but I'd like to stick with the same OEM company if I can, so I could use the existing TPM light in my dash.... So for now, only my stock wheels have TPMs, my tuner wheels don't...

Just remember the dealer always overcharges for everything. They also charge $850 each for my stock 18" rims too. And those are cast wheels. The new 05' Forged 19" rims, are $1800 each at the dealer. (This is without tires and without TPM modules)
You might give SmarTire a call......they might be the OE for Nissan..... Also, I believe the system installed in Nissans are the basic system (doesn't actually display tire temperature nor tire pressure). Not to mention, you cannot alter the warning pressure (factory set to sound at 22 psi and alarm at 18). With the Full Function screen, you can set your own limits and tire pressures to alarm at.