Aftermarket Loaded Struts (Front) & Lower Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 02:32 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Loaded Struts (Front) & Lower Control Arms

I am a new member, have browsed these discussions many times & want to contribute. After weeks of reading through the different threads from 2006 to current in search of information on aftermarket suspension parts, I decided to pull the trigger on aftermarket loaded front struts (FCS brand) https://www.carparts.com/details/Acu...2336347-2.html
aftermarket lower control arms (unbranded) https://www.carparts.com/details/Acu...EPA281549.html

My car is a 2005 Acura TL w/Navigation & 175xxx miles. I have several replacements on worn parts of my vehicle with aftermarket parts, all of which have been very successful.

Now to the good stuff;
i work at a dealership in PA outside of Philly (30 mins) in the shop as an all around “helper”/lot attendant/lube tech etc. I do not claim to be a professional and the infor nation provided is nearly opinion and experience. I work side by side with certified techs, some of which are master mechanics and one is a certified viper mechanic. I had very weak handling, sluggish response on turns, chassis roll, harsh thuds over bumps etc. a co worker and I put my car on a lift to inspect everything and concluded the control arms were tearing and my right side would actually contact the metal frame of my vehicle (obvious markings on frame and control arm) We then put my car on an alignment rack to view specs, it was mildly off on everything. A short time later I ordered the parts (links above) and google coupons from the website (I think free shipping or 10% can’t recall) and installed them with a mechanic (not a diy thread, there are plenty of those) as well as an alignment and rebalancing of all four tires. Several key take aways from this ramble
-Total investment was roughly $200 plus (cost of labor depending on where you go or if you are a do it yourself person)
-Mechanic told me to spray all rubber bushings including the new control arm bushings with Heavy Duty Clear Silicone Spray with several light coats, he informed me that this will slow down the aging of the bushings, and to do it every couple months or at least once a year.
-After new parts were installed, cars specs on alignment were all in green.
-The car feels like a “new” car again
-OEM parts are most likely “better” but are at minimal twice the price.
-The cars steering substantially more responsive, letting go of the wheel while accelerating is no issue and keeps a straight line without fail( even over small bumps) shifts are slightly more crisp, and has next to no torque steer now.

A big complaint I read on threads involving aftermarket control arms and struts were that they squeaked it clunked after a short period of use. I believe the way to combat that is with he silicone spray, I have put a lot of miles on my car with no issues, sounds or degradation of either parts. Upon inspection of the control arms after roughly 5k miles, all looks the same. I hope this helps and informs everyone of aftermarket suspension components. If done correctly, you will not be dissatisfied! Feel free to ask any questions or comment.

The pics are side by side comparisons of the old vs new parts and a few snaps of the torn bushings on old control arms