Advice for suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Advice for suspension upgrade

Hey Fellow AcuraZine members,

I have a stock 2005 TL, except for a Computech RSB. It's now 2007 and I feel the bug to upgrade the suspension to a much firmer ride with better handling around corners. I also want to continue to have a smooth ride for daily driving. What would you suggest I do? What is the best combination etc... Thanks for your advice!
Old 01-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best combo to keep your ride firm and have better handling and cornering would be the Aspec suspension along with the Comptech rear sway bar (RSB). Alternatives include a set of coilovers or lowering springs. Off the top of my head, Aspec suspension can be bought on ebay from Acura of Escondido and Las Vegas Acura. . Coilovers and springs can be purchased from authorized vendors like MrHeeltoe or Excelerate. You can also contact Hondacuraworld for OEM parts. Check the Blackmarket Forum.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tien SS or K-Sports
Old 01-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Tien SS gets my vote as it gives a drop, a ride as good as the a-specs with ajestability and a range of sportniess.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:58 PM
wdp skyhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sigwill24
Hey Fellow AcuraZine members,

I have a stock 2005 TL, except for a Computech RSB. It's now 2007 and I feel the bug to upgrade the suspension to a much firmer ride with better handling around corners. I also want to continue to have a smooth ride for daily driving. What would you suggest I do? What is the best combination etc... Thanks for your advice!
I would go with a 1 inch drop maybe some comptech spring or tein H spring upgrade the wheels and tires to maybe some summer high performance tires and it should handle pretty good. I like the tein basic coilovers they run about $700.00 and ride pretty good.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
TL on 20's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Tein SS with the EDFC and I feel it is the best. I have driven with the A-SPEC suspension and I feel the Tein is 100x better
Old 01-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Does the car handle noticeably better with the Tiens?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 AM
TriState ViP Crew

im putting mine tein ss with EDFC thursday, cant wait
Old 01-15-2007, 05:00 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
I have the Teins basic coilovers, I love the way my car looks and handles now. I don't recommend them if you want to keep the near stock ride. The basics are a alot more harsher than stock. I'm still happy with them, because I'm use to a harsh ride from previous cars.
The A-spec coilovers has a near stock ride, but IMO does not have a low enough stance. It only lowers your car from a half to 1 inch.
I would recommend the Teins SS coilovers, because you get the best of both worlds. You can adjust the dampers for a hard or soft ride, and you can adjust the height for as low as you want.
If I would do it again, I would go with the Teins SS.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I have the Teins basic coilovers, I love the way my car looks and handles now. I don't recommend them if you want to keep the near stock ride. The basics are a alot more harsher than stock. I'm still happy with them, because I'm use to a harsh ride from previous cars.
The A-spec coilovers has a near stock ride, but IMO does not have a low enough stance. It only lowers your car from a half to 1 inch.
I would recommend the Teins SS coilovers, because you get the best of both worlds. You can adjust the dampers for a hard or soft ride, and you can adjust the height for as low as you want.

I would nto say the Basics are a lot harsher than stock, but it is definately noticable. Careful not to make it sound like they are an extreme sus or anything. They are noticably firmer than stock, you can definately feel it, but it is really pretty compliant for use in daily driving.

The SS is a good choice for those really concerned about ride because you can make them softer than the Basics. And the EDFC makes adjusting them much more practical.

In the end, If it were me, I'd get the Basics because they cost less and have a really good balance. The SS might be cool if I was a stickler for tinkering with my car or unable to adapt to the car. But in my experience installing these kits, the Basic and a Comptech RSM make all the difference. Make the car feel like a TSX

Marcus
Old 01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I would nto say the Basics are a lot harsher than stock, but it is definately noticable. Careful not to make it sound like they are an extreme sus or anything. They are noticably firmer than stock, you can definately feel it, but it is really pretty compliant for use in daily driving.

The SS is a good choice for those really concerned about ride because you can make them softer than the Basics. And the EDFC makes adjusting them much more practical.

In the end, If it were me, I'd get the Basics because they cost less and have a really good balance. The SS might be cool if I was a stickler for tinkering with my car or unable to adapt to the car. But in my experience installing these kits, the Basic and a Comptech RSM make all the difference. Make the car feel like a TSX

Marcus
uh oh! lol
Old 01-18-2007, 11:26 PM
wdp skyhawk

for the money get the tein basics or a-spec kit if you want to adjust go with the tien ss or edfc
Old 01-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Im going to order my ss on monday. Does 850 sound alot for the tein ss? What did you guys pay for yours and where did you get them? Also I noticed that no companies make after market strut bars which really sucks.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:06 PM
wdp skyhawk

you don't really need one on the tl is has a big brace on it already if you remove the plastic engine cover that price sound reasonable.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaCaY
im putting mine tein ss with EDFC thursday, cant wait
How much did the ss with EDFC cost you?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:51 PM
3rd Gear

Hey, just totaled my 2005 6 speed with a spec suspension. I'm getting a new 07 S, Does anyone know how the new S suspension compares to the a spec on handling. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, hojo
Old 01-24-2007, 10:04 PM
5th Gear

I am looking for a-spec AT suspension and asked some dealers on ebay.

Acura of las vegas says $800 + $50 shipping

Acura of Escondido says they dont have it

I think $850 is way too expensive, do you guys think I can negotiate the price with Acura of las vegas?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 PM
OLD SOLDIER

Originally Posted by chungkyu82

I think $850 is way too expensive, do you guys think I can negotiate the price with Acura of las vegas?
I got the same quote today from them they are the only dealer that I know of that is willing to sell the suspension alone ...what is the going price for the tein basic or the Tein SS?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Former Sponsor

$850 doesn't sounds so bad...shocks are anout $120 each, $200+ for springs, and they come with new top hats preinstalled....if it is what you are looking for the price is good.

PM for pricing on Tein stuff. We get a lot of it for Acuraziners. But beware of making price-based decisions.

Marcus
Old 01-25-2007, 01:13 AM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

850 ship for a-spec is way to much, back in the day it was $625 from them...
Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mmcv6
850 ship for a-spec is way to much, back in the day it was $625 from them...

Well, the retail price is $800...so they are selling for normal price. $625 is cheap...$850 is not 'too much.' I can totally understand why they'd only offer the cheap price for a short time.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

If I was spending 850, I would definetly get the Tein SS instead of the A-spec suspension and I did get the SS
Old 01-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I got a question, have you rubbed the front lip being so low?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shayan
If I was spending 850, I would definetly get the Tein SS instead of the A-spec suspension and I did get the SS

Me too, but some people will honestly be more happy with the A-Spec. People, you gotta buy what you want. Selecting a product based on price is a mistake.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:45 AM
OLD SOLDIER

Me too, but some people will honestly be more happy with the A-Spec. People, you gotta buy what you want. Selecting a product based on price is a mistake.

I try not to make my decisions based on Price but sometimes you just can't help it ...with that being said I would love to know how much the Tein SS go for ...I want a great handling car and a little drop....can't handle the rough ride any more
Old 01-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Thats alot of money for oem parts. I was quoted 850 for my tien ss. I would def. still shop around.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:43 PM
wdp skyhawk

Talking

I think the mt a-spec suspension fits they are on ebay for 650$ but you might want to consider the tein basic or tein ss
Old 01-28-2007, 12:37 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bigmoetl1
I think the mt a-spec suspension fits they are on ebay for 650$ but you might want to consider the tein basic or tein ss
I was considering tein SS but the dealer said it will void my 7 year warranty (I haggled and got 7 year extended warranty at no cost). The dealer said the same thing about MT a-spec suspension.

Unfortunately, Acura of Las Vegas won't move thier price.

By the way, my Acura dealer says $450 for suspension install.

Thanks everyone for their input. I will be shopping around, since it is still winter at Chicago, I am not in hurry yet!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I was considering tein SS but the dealer said it will void my 7 year warranty (I haggled and got 7 year extended warranty at no cost). The dealer said the same thing about MT a-spec suspension.

Thanks everyone for their input. I will be shopping around, since it is still winter at Chicago, I am not in hurry yet!
Try goin to a different dealer, they will quote you different prices. I bought my car from Ed Napelton Acura and I go to get my service done at Acura of Libertyville. I find that Acura of Libertyville has great customer service, they know what they are talking about, and they have the best price in town. I would definetly recommend going there
Old 01-28-2007, 08:57 PM
wdp skyhawk

Originally Posted by DC5 SLEEPER
Im going to order my ss on monday. Does 850 sound alot for the tein ss? What did you guys pay for yours and where did you get them? Also I noticed that no companies make after market strut bars which really sucks.
that's pretty good i was on ebay and they wanted $950.00
Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Retired 93LS coupe
I try not to make my decisions based on Price but sometimes you just can't help it ...with that being said I would love to know how much the Tein SS go for ...I want a great handling car and a little drop....can't handle the rough ride any more

Not saying you are, but other people who don't know read this and might get the impression that the A-Spec is overpriced and the SS is way better for that much money. It is the poster's responsibility to know that "way better" is different for everyone. So is "rough ride" for that matter.

I am not trying to get too nit picky, but as someone who strives to do just what this thread was requesting (give good suspension advice), I have to try and disclaimer subjective comments that I might make.

That being said, I REALLY think the SS is an awesome kit. For those wanting a good noticeable drop with a moderate compromise on ground clearance, a good street-sport ride with enhanced handling, and a general low cost with excellent reputation and customer support I say look no further.

The A-spec should be purchased by the enthusiast wishing to compromise practically nothing over the stock ride and height, yet would appreciate tighter body control and better stability.

Marcus

Oh, and PS, I will PM pricing on the SS and Basic to you! For Acurazine we offer FREE shipping within the continental USA and discounted shipping everywhere else!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

This is simply not true and actually against the law. Changing out one aspect of the car is not going to void you bumper to bumper warranty. At worst you can expect items directly related to the modification to cause a problem. Even suspension items which have a tendency to fail anyway are not specifically exempt from being replaced under warranty.

Example might be, swapping the shocks and springs might void the warranty with respect to breaking a sway bar endlink, but would not void a warranty concern regarding the ECU/PCM or radio in the car.

Marcus
Old 01-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigmoetl1
that's pretty good i was on ebay and they wanted $950.00

That is not bad, but it is probably in your best interest to PM or call me. We have closed many Tein deals on Acurazine and provide installation services and over-the-phone installation support. I also offer pre-assembly and pre-adjustment services on Tein coilovers! The only reason I do this is because I have done so many local socal installs that people are wishing that they could get my help outside of the area. This way, I can help alleviate the 2 hardest parts of the installation. Our pricing is pretty competitive.

Marcus
Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Instructor

That is not bad, but it is probably in your best interest to PM or call me. We have closed many Tein deals on Acurazine and provide installation services and over-the-phone installation support. I also offer pre-assembly and pre-adjustment services on Tein coilovers! The only reason I do this is because I have done so many local socal installs that people are wishing that they could get my help outside of the area. This way, I can help alleviate the 2 hardest parts of the installation. Our pricing is pretty competitive.

Marcus

can you also pm me a price on the tein ss thanks.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:38 PM
OLD SOLDIER

Not saying you are, but other people who don't know read this and might get the impression that the A-Spec is overpriced and the SS is way better for that much money. It is the poster's responsibility to know that "way better" is different for everyone. So is "rough ride" for that matter.

I am not trying to get too nit picky, but as someone who strives to do just what this thread was requesting (give good suspension advice), I have to try and disclaimer subjective comments that I might make.

That being said, I REALLY think the SS is an awesome kit. For those wanting a good noticeable drop with a moderate compromise on ground clearance, a good street-sport ride with enhanced handling, and a general low cost with excellent reputation and customer support I say look no further.

The A-spec should be purchased by the enthusiast wishing to compromise practically nothing over the stock ride and height, yet would appreciate tighter body control and better stability.

Marcus

Oh, and PS, I will PM pricing on the SS and Basic to you! For Acurazine we offer FREE shipping within the continental USA and discounted shipping everywhere else!

Thanks for the Pm and on this additional information.... I think one of my main problems is the area where I live... there are not many options for me as far as places to get suspension work done.... body kits painted and installed ....Rims... tint and things of that nature. As far as my Acura Dealer no help there...so alot of my Mods I do and want to do are slow to come.... but have my Comptech RSB waiting and I will get my Suspension right now I am stuck between the A-Spec for the MT and the Tein ss with the EDFC.. if I lived out So Cal I know it would be done by now and I would be pleased with it
Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DC5 SLEEPER
can you also pm me a price on the tein ss thanks.

Sure I can....Sending now.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:17 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by shayan
Try goin to a different dealer, they will quote you different prices. I bought my car from Ed Napelton Acura and I go to get my service done at Acura of Libertyville. I find that Acura of Libertyville has great customer service, they know what they are talking about, and they have the best price in town. I would definetly recommend going there
Thanks for the tip I will call them up to check it out.

I just got quoted $795 shipped by UPS ground for A-spec A/T.
Still holding the breath.... (current MT is selling on ebay price at $710 including shipping...).
Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Sure I can....Sending now.
i sent you a pm.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:00 PM
OLD SOLDIER

Thanks for the tip I will call them up to check it out.

I just got quoted $795 shipped by UPS ground for A-spec A/T.
Still holding the breath.... (current MT is selling on ebay price at $710 including shipping...).

I decided to go with the A-Spec M/T set up on my 06 TL A/T ....I already have the comptech RSB and bushings so when the A-Spec kit arrives I will get it installed ..I got it for $710.00 shipped