Adjustment of Tein Basics

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Adjustment of Tein Basics

Hey guys,

So I'm adjust my Teins, and is it normal for one side to be higher than the other? I have the same "thread count" for the two front and it seems the right side is still a tad higher than the left (driver's side)... anyone encounter this?

Also, what "thread count" or inches are you guys running for 20" rims? I'm gonna go with 235/35/20.

I guess when I'm asking about inches and thread count I'm asking in terms of how peewee5834 measured his Teins in his DIY here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...djusting+teins

Thank you.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I dont know about the Teins

But I noticed you gonna be running 35 series tires, just want to inform you that your speedo will be slow by about 4.5% now if you ran 30 series ( i know less cushioning) your speedo would only be slow by about 1%
Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah I understand that... but I just want a little more meat on those tires... Wait when you say run slower... you mean I'll be going slower than THe speedometer is reading? or the other way around?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
go to tirerack.com there is a page where you enter former and new tire -rims size and then the speedo reading- enter speed reading, it tells you what the new indicated speed will be
Going up in rim size and lower profile makes the total revoltion size nearly the same and on my 01 caused the speedo error to nearly disappear~

As for spring perch height on teins- the car does not sit flat level - it weighs different on each corner. You can set the car by corner weight (racing), by camber (the smart thing to do) or by car height- (looks)
Go for an alignment check- you can raise or lower a corner slightly to change the camber, assuming no camber kits were installed
If negative camber more than 1.5 degress and closes to neg 2, you need camber kit for that end of the car
Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes the car is not evenly weight distributed . i just adjusted my teins the other day all the thead count.. i can notice something VERY small i forgot which side but its too close for me to go in there and re do it
Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm just gonna go for it looking even all around. Is there an easy way to do that? OR does someone here already know the formula (so to speak) in terms of how many threads for each side... Thanks, again!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Don't "thread count". It works but is it way harder and less accurate that simply whipping out a tape measure and getting a measurement.

Marcus

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

measure from the same point - like the center lip of the hub to the fender edge
Old 05-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by gatdammit
yeah I understand that... but I just want a little more meat on those tires... Wait when you say run slower... you mean I'll be going slower than THe speedometer is reading? or the other way around?

No you will be driving that much faster than what the speedo shows. For example, your speedo shows you driving 70mph, with 35 series you gonna be actually traveling 73mph and with 30 series you would be traveling 70.6mph. 1010tires has a calculator that 01TL4TL

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Don't "thread count". It works but is it way harder and less accurate that simply whipping out a tape measure and getting a measurement.

Marcus
Ok well should I even measure the inches on the coilover or just pick a 4 reference points on the car, measure them, and then take into account the difference? I just want the car to sit (look) even.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Team Owner

as I said before- use a set point the same on each wheel- like the center hubs top edge where you can get a tape measure to hold on- then measure up to the fender edge

Essentially you want 2 skinny fingers clearance or a little more from tire top to fender edge- where it will hit the tires outer edge
Old 05-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok well should I even measure the inches on the coilover or just pick a 4 reference points on the car, measure them, and then take into account the difference? I just want the car to sit (look) even.

Measure directly onto the coilovers.

Tom, measuring the way you mention is a great way to know how much you've lowered the car, but the measurement is too hard to get repetitive results when looking at one side versus the other. It requires you to get the tape perfectly perfectly plumb since the measurement will change depending on where against the fender you measure. Depending on how critical you are with the measurement it is not one that is easily repeatable.

Also, on the 3G TL, the typical drop with Basics or SS is about 1 finger gap as opposed to 2 on the 2G.

The Tein instructions provide a great reference measurement. Go by that.

Marcus
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

ahh the ol gen3 is different trick than my car- man I keep falling for that!

With your comment about not counting threads I got confused
Maybe its my background- that I own a basic camber guage- and do a finger measure of clearance as a start- but everyone knows I have very strange ways of doing things!
I use thread count as referance when making a change to the height
Old 05-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Measure directly onto the coilovers.

Tom, measuring the way you mention is a great way to know how much you've lowered the car, but the measurement is too hard to get repetitive results when looking at one side versus the other. It requires you to get the tape perfectly perfectly plumb since the measurement will change depending on where against the fender you measure. Depending on how critical you are with the measurement it is not one that is easily repeatable.

Also, on the 3G TL, the typical drop with Basics or SS is about 1 finger gap as opposed to 2 on the 2G.

The Tein instructions provide a great reference measurement. Go by that.

Marcus
Thanks guys... you've been a big help. Marcus, I guess that was my original problem. I didn't do a thread count, I measured the coilovers just like the peewee5834 did on his DIY. I have the same measurement for both sides and there's STILL a difference in height from right to left. So my right side is higher than my left. So I'm assuming that the left side will probably have to bhe measured at 1.25" whereas the right side will be at 1" or something like that. Sorry if I made it confusing. Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys... you've been a big help. Marcus, I guess that was my original problem. I didn't do a thread count, I measured the coilovers just like the peewee5834 did on his DIY. I have the same measurement for both sides and there's STILL a difference in height from right to left. So my right side is higher than my left. So I'm assuming that the left side will probably have to bhe measured at 1.25" whereas the right side will be at 1" or something like that. Sorry if I made it confusing. Thanks again.

The same measurement should make the car the same height on both sides unless you have some uneven weight in the car. It is also possible that nuances in installation could change the height, but I'm not sure if it would be 1/4".....

Measuring where he did is not the greatest either. To get right to the best point measure to the base of the threaded collar. You'll notice the collar is welded to the damper shaft. Measure from the base of the lowest adjustment ring to a non-welded section on the collar. 1.25" measurement should give a tight 1 finger gap all around. If it doesn't, there are more things to check.

Marcus
Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks Marcus.... I'll try that... I bought these Teins from you BTW... hahaha.. THanks again.