ACURA WILL PAY FOR SCRATCHED UP '04 18" WHEELS???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004 | 11:13 AM
Advanced

Exclamation ACURA WILL PAY FOR SCRATCHED UP '04 18" WHEELS???

I was told by customer service at Acura that they will pay for rim expenses if enough customers file a complaint with Customer Service. I think they should pay for wider tires that protect the rims too.... that is the problem. CALL TODAY!

BY PHONE
Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Standard time at the toll-free number (800) 382-2238

BY FAX
(310) 783-3535

BY MAIL
Acura Client Services
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
Old 04-18-2004 | 01:32 PM
Advanced

Talking Borrowed Quote That Says It, Oh So Well

Novice, the wheels/tires should be designed to offer a ceratain degree of protectection against a common circumstance, rubbing your tires against a curb without it costing you a few hundred dollars..How many times have you scraped a curb in other cars and only had a small brushed mark on your tire?
Hell yes, Acura should find a fix for this problem.
Old 04-19-2004 | 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Well they never paid for rim repair on the CLS and their rims were much worse than the new TL. There was no protection on them.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2004 | 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

With lower profile tires, you have to be careful. I would be shocked if they paid for anything.
Old 04-19-2004 | 06:13 PM
USMC Butterbars

i highly doubt this will work out. You know how many people complained about their POS tranny, and what did they do, just extend the stupid warranty.
Old 04-20-2004 | 11:01 AM
Advanced

It turns out that even if the dealer and Acura Customer Service wanted to help a customer get different tires their hands are tied right now. Because Acura has only tested the car with the 235s they can not recommend nor will they participate in any type of tire swap...

As for the warranty with 255/40/18's Acura said there should be no problem because the tire circumference is the same and 255s are just a little wider plus most tire manufactures show the 255's to be fine for this car. Now if you want to go with a taller tire at all... that's a different story... for now it can void your warranty.

Explanation was that the computer is set to detect a certain amount of rotation at turns and such to provide safety with ABS/Stability control and putting on a tire with a different circumference can mess that up somehow... you know what I know... Good luck
Old 04-20-2004 | 11:03 AM
Advanced

I just got two new 18" wheels from Acura District Manager. NO hair off any dealership anywhere. The wider tires I will have to purchase on my own although I will get some credit for the ones on there now.
The DS did not disagree with me and my concerns like you vehemently seem to... He expressed concern about an "appropriate disclosure," which didn't happen in my case. It seems there is a "performance culture" of sorts that believes everyone knows about HP wheel characteristics... My salesman agree's and wishes he had made it known to me.

As much as Acura District Manager would like to accomodate different tires as customer's may request. He stated he does not have authority to, because the car was only tested with that particular tire and size...
Admittedly, Acura may test other configurations in the future but until they do his hands are tied...

Acura CS for now will not recommend any other tire, however a tire size recommended by a reputable tire company for the wheel size will not affect the warranty...

A larger circumfrence tire could possibly affect stability control/abs on some turns due to different readings to computer regarding wheel spin parameters. Basically a taller tire can void the warranty while a slightly wider one should not be any problem.
Old 04-20-2004 | 11:07 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up

IMO you can call some reputable tire stores around town. An independent quoted me a much better price than Discount Tire by FAR... Anyway, call and ask if they will give you some credit on your "pull-off" tires towards the tires you want. Your 245s over 255s question will be better answered by you calling the tire 1800 number and as well as by the tire shop, you could make some comparison's there about how you want your tire to look...

I've been doing some research on tires... Consumer Reports recommends Goodyear eagle F1's as number one, but I've heard several concerns about those from various sources... Their number two TOYO's are intriquing me right now... I'm looking into the Toyo Proxes T1-S - 255/40ZR17 - BW

I did this swap for my 04 Yukon XL and saved $241. compared to Discount Tire. Most shops will allow the same price with up to 2000 miles on the pull off tires... Best of Luck!
Old 04-20-2004 | 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

just dont park so close to curbs. a wider tire wont mean that you wont scratch the rim up while riding a curb while trying to park. that is all user error
Old 04-21-2004 | 01:12 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up TOYO's RIM FLANGE PROTECTORS

Many Toyo ultra high-performance tires feature a specially-designed protruding ridge along the circumference of the tire.

This ridge extends beyond the width of the wheel rim and acts as a bumper to protect the wheel from scratches and other damage. In other words, the tire ridge, not the expensive wheel, hits the curb.

http://www.toyo.com/toyo_technology/index_frame.html
Old 04-25-2004 | 04:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

There is some wheel protection on the T1-S but not much. And don't count on it saving your wheels if you encounter that infamous curb again.