5AT or 6MT brakes faster ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 06:53 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread is getting humorous guys.
My brakes are better than yours..... My brakes could beat your dads brakes... My brakes name starts with a "B", yours don't....

Are the Brembo brakes "more capable" than the 5AT brakes? Sure, - but in day to day driving, that "capability" will never be used and or felt over the standard brakes. You say you had a "confidence" issue by the feel of the non-Brembo brakes...? So let me see, I push hard on the brakes and the antilocks kick in and the car comes to a stop. This is the effect you get with either system.. Is their a different peddle feel between the two..? Most likely - One or the other may take more peddle pressure to get the same braking effect. Both work equally well and depending on what you own reflects which one your use to..... The brakes did not cause your lack of confidence, it was your lack of experience driving the 5AT / brakes. You could probably say the same of me if I jumped in your 6MT, though any good driver will get accustomed to a vehicle before pushing it.

Anyway, all you 6MT owners - yes, you have the better brakes. Brembo's are great and I too would like them on my 5AT. BUT, lets grow up and admit that given my commute, your drive to school/work etc., 99.9% of us TL owners will never ever work either brake setup hard enough to realize the difference.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:07 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
This thread is getting humorous guys.
My brakes are better than yours..... My brakes could beat your dads brakes... My brakes name starts with a "B", yours don't....

Are the Brembo brakes "more capable" than the 5AT brakes? Sure, - but in day to day driving, that "capability" will never be used and or felt over the standard brakes. You say you had a "confidence" issue by the feel of the non-Brembo brakes...? So let me see, I push hard on the brakes and the antilocks kick in and the car comes to a stop. This is the effect you get with either system.. Is their a different peddle feel between the two..? Most likely - One or the other may take more peddle pressure to get the same braking effect. Both work equally well and depending on what you own reflects which one your use to..... The brakes did not cause your lack of confidence, it was your lack of experience driving the 5AT / brakes. You could probably say the same of me if I jumped in your 6MT, though any good driver will get accustomed to a vehicle before pushing it.

Anyway, all you 6MT owners - yes, you have the better brakes. Brembo's are great and I too would like them on my 5AT. BUT, lets grow up and admit that given my commute, your drive to school/work etc., 99.9% of us TL owners will never ever work either brake setup hard enough to realize the difference.

Very true. But now tell me why we need 270 HP? or a TL for that matter?

I'm happy with my purchase and I hope everyone else is happy with theirs. For what I do day in and day out my 5AT/TL is more than satisfactory. I really don't need the car or most of the stuff in it but it sure is nice.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now lets argue about which handles better :-)
Old 04-02-2005, 07:17 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1

Very true. But now tell me why we need 270 HP? or a TL for that matter?
I'm happy with my purchase and I hope everyone else is happy with theirs. For what I do day in and day out my 5AT/TL is more than satisfactory. I really don't need the car or most of the stuff in it but it sure is nice.
You couldn't be more correct MR1!

One problem though..... You have now started the next argument: "But now tell me why we need 270 HP? or a TL for that matter?" Because like those nice Brembo brakes, I too hardly ever use my 270hp,,, but I would like 500hp

Can we just talk about the "beauty" of BSM's or something... :surrender

Cheers all
Old 04-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Has anyone experienced the "brake assist" in action yet? I did. It's freaky.

I was driving in a residential area when my front seat passenger did one of those point and scream things to my left which makes you brake fast until you see WTF they are panicking.

I was doing about 35 MPH and my car stopped RIGHT NOW. I thought the car behind me was going in my trunk.

Brake assist senses the time interval between you taking your foot off the gas and applying the brakes. If it is under a certain time, it is deemed to be a panic stop and the computer applies all it's got so you stop in the minimum distance- regardless of your pedal pressure. It can surprise you.

In everyday use, my 5AT has the best brakes I have ever felt on a car. This is my first car with disks at all four wheels. The brakes on my last Maxima were spongey and the pedal would go almost to the floor without lock up. I love the brakes on the TL. If the Brembos are better, they must really be good.

A lot of the features on our TLs are overkill. Like the passenger front seat that weighs and measures the passenger to decide if it is a child so that it shuts off the air bag on that size.

I was telling someone the other day... My TL is almost a year old and only has 3500 miles. It's not my daily driver. When I wash and wax it and take it for a ride, it's like a ride at Disney World for me. I am still not totally familiar with all the features so that I can play with everything while driving. I have to look to see where the buttons are. The audio itself can keep you busy for days trying new things.

And the voice command and Navi? The discovery never ends. I just realized that you can program destinations by voice up to a point: "Menu" "Personal Destinations" "User One" "Next" "Three" "Yes". And you're off to the races with no manual input required.

I even use the "find seafood" and such once in a while. I also recently found the calculator when I fill up so I can check the trip computer or do other calculations on the touch screen.

This car is a wonder and way ahead of its time.

Do you know that Toyota navis are small screen and you cannot program them by voice command and you cannot program them at all when you are moving? You have to be in Park. My sister has a new, loaded Sienna. I tell her "It's nice" but think to myself that it can't hold a candle to the TL.

And it was almost $45,000.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:00 AM
Advanced

one thing i found when i did a BBK upgrade (on NSX, not TL) is that the ABS worked a lot better/smoother.. I was told this is because modulating four smaller pistons was more efficient/smoother than two large ones...

One question i have is why they used small (relatively) rotors on the TL.. id be rather iterested to put 13" rotors on the front (should fit with 17" wheel)... anyone know if they make an offset bracket for the caliper to support this?
Old 05-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Pro

Road and Track, April 2004 has the TL 6MT stopping at 123-ft. The car has the upgraded "summer tires" which explains the great stopping distance. The tires are usually the weakest link when it comes to OEM equipped vehicles. The Brembos don't stop the car any better, they help primarely with resisting fade. See below for R&T Test Data:

For large view...Road & Track Article
Old 05-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdntckt
One question i have is why they used small (relatively) rotors on the TL.. id be rather iterested to put 13" rotors on the front (should fit with 17" wheel)... anyone know if they make an offset bracket for the caliper to support this?
It's smaller to help with performance. When you accelerate, the engine has to not only turn the weight of the wheel but also the rotor and drive shafts. The 6MT has larger diameter but thinner rotors to keep the weights similar. That's one of the original theories behind cross drilled rotors...to shave precious few ounces.

dsc888
Old 05-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Comparitive brake testing for TL.

Motor Trend(may04)AT-el42
60-0 128ft

Motor Trend(Jan04)MT-el42
60-0 141ft

Motor Trend(March04)MT-a-spec
60-0 119ft

Road & Track(April04)MT-hpt
60-0 123ft

Car and Driver(Jan04)MT-el42
70-0 189ft

Car and Driver(March04)MT-hpt
70-0 160ft(best in test 35k sedan comparison)

Car and Driver(May04)MT-a-spec
70-0 174ft(author noted test was done in colder weather when compared to March)

Motorweek and edmunds-MT-hpt
60-0 115ft

It seems brembos suffer on crap rubber. What would be interesting to see is an AT with better rubber preferably an a-spec.