1k review of A-Spec suspension.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1k review of A-Spec suspension.....

I’ve had my ’04 TL 6mt since last July and had just over 10,000 miles with the stock suspension. Installed an A-Spec suspension ( ebay $600, dealer installed $ 400 ) and just finished driving another 1000 miles. I’m still on the original EL-42’s, but I haven’t had any real issues with them so far. I haven’t installed the CT rear sway bar yet, so that will be the next review.

A-Spec Review ….first, this suspension should be standard on the 6mt right from Acura. The biggest difference is how well the suspension limits the body movements. Not just cornering but the movements during braking and accelerating. The stock suspension used to raise the front end significantly during acceleration and dove downward with moderate braking. This is totally eliminated with the A-Spec suspension. In regards to handling, the car is definitely more stable and flat during cornering. It kinda just takes a set and tracks well, even with a mid-corner bump. I have a freeway on ramp ( downhill RH turn ) I take every morning, posted 30mph but it’s a double. It’s got a frost heave halfway through the turn. It used to totally kick the car out wide with the stock suspension. With the a-spec suspension, it just takes the bump and acknowledges it. The ride really hasn’t deteriorated at all and obviously it looks better being lowered.

In hindsight I really wish I’d installed the suspension right after purchase. I’ve always enjoyed the car, but the handling was always a little “floaty” for my taste. It now has that Germanic feel that most Japanese cars are missing.

Highly recommended………………..
Old 04-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Advanced

sweet, you've just confirmed my decision on whether or not to get the a-spec suspension....great, bye bye money...=(
Old 04-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
What did you get for $600, just the coilovers?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ZQQM

I’ve had my ’04 TL 6mt since last July and had just over 10,000 miles with the stock suspension. Installed an A-Spec suspension ( ebay $600, dealer installed $ 400 ) and just finished driving another 1000 miles. I’m still on the original EL-42’s, but I haven’t had any real issues with them so far. I haven’t installed the CT rear sway bar yet, so that will be the next review.

A-Spec Review ….first, this suspension should be standard on the 6mt right from Acura. The biggest difference is how well the suspension limits the body movements. Not just cornering but the movements during braking and accelerating. The stock suspension used to raise the front end significantly during acceleration and dove downward with moderate braking. This is totally eliminated with the A-Spec suspension. In regards to handling, the car is definitely more stable and flat during cornering. It kinda just takes a set and tracks well, even with a mid-corner bump. I have a freeway on ramp ( downhill RH turn ) I take every morning, posted 30mph but it’s a double. It’s got a frost heave halfway through the turn. It used to totally kick the car out wide with the stock suspension. With the a-spec suspension, it just takes the bump and acknowledges it. The ride really hasn’t deteriorated at all and obviously it looks better being lowered.

In hindsight I really wish I’d installed the suspension right after purchase. I’ve always enjoyed the car, but the handling was always a little “floaty” for my taste. It now has that Germanic feel that most Japanese cars are missing.

Highly recommended………………..

Did you measure how much drop you got? I still have the suspension sitting un-opened in my garage...

I can't decide whether to install it because I don't really want to lower the car. I feel kind of low already.

If the suspension didn't lower the car at all, I'd have it on already...
Old 04-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I just installed my A-spec suspension yesterday, and my 100 mile review is pretty much right on par w/ yours ... my review is in the forum. It's a fabulous mod .. and you're right .. this should be an optional suspension w/ or w/o the A-spec cosmetics.. it was truly designed for this 3G TL to perfection (or as close as you can get w/ FWD). The handling is BMW-esque .. of course, nothing close to the true handling of RWD... but you get my drift .. a huge improvement over the stock suspension.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Safety Car

EMF .. my pics are now posted .. take a look .. not that bad of a drop -- if any at all!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Instructor

I didn't take any offical measurements before and after. Its probably somewhere between 1/2" to 3/4" of a drop, very minor drop. Looks right.....

I could feel a slight lowering of the center of gravity the day I picked it up.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Safety Car

After about one month it should settle to 1" ... per the Acura specifications, it's a 1" drop .. so I'm assuming that's after the suspension is fully broken in... time to hit the corners hard!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EMF213
Did you measure how much drop you got? I still have the suspension sitting un-opened in my garage...

I can't decide whether to install it because I don't really want to lower the car. I feel kind of low already.

If the suspension didn't lower the car at all, I'd have it on already...

I'll buy it off you if you're not gonna use it!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ncatbagan
I'll buy it off you if you're not gonna use it!
We'll see....

If I don't end up using it, I will post it for sale here.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ZQQM
I didn't take any offical measurements before and after. Its probably somewhere between 1/2" to 3/4" of a drop, very minor drop. Looks right.....

I could feel a slight lowering of the center of gravity the day I picked it up.
What's a shame is that as customers, we can't actually see an A-Spec car at dealerships. If I could park an A-Spec next to a non-A-Spec and see them both in person, I'd be able to decide if it's what I want.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
EMF .. my pics are now posted .. take a look .. not that bad of a drop -- if any at all!
Thanks Peter.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

EMF ... trust me on this ... when I put on the Comptech springs on my TL-S .. I was horrified at how low it dropped the car.. and that was only about 1" ... this drop ... i actually thought that I replaced my stock springs for another set of stock springs ... b/c I didn't even notice a drop. I'm very finicky about stuff like that b/c i don't want a ricey looking TL. i was a very OEM looking TL .. you'll be very satisfied w/ the drop (a virtually non-existant one).
Old 04-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZQQM,

Excellent review. I did 1/2 and install due to weather issues and love the improved ride and handling. You are right on with your write up. This car feels downright German as PeterUbers alluded to with this upgrade.

dsc888
Old 04-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

dsc .. it's funny you mention that .. I was just telling my friend (drives a C55 AMG Benz) that my TL now "feels" as taut and german as his '55. Clearly it can't outhandle the benz, but it certainly feels as firm and poised on the highway now as his C55.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

PeterUbers,

The ride still astonishes me. Like you said, the TL just "acknowledges" the irregular pavement and only transmits the sound of the unevenness instead of the rolling and bobbing sensations I used to get from the stock setup. The ride is almost Bimmerish. Comfortable going straight but taut on corners. Who the heck tuned the OEM suspension anyway?

The C55 is definitely one to behold. It's got that "you've made it" feeling written all over it. But I simply think of all the $$$ you saved by getting the TL and call it a day. Hey, aren't you saving up for that Comptech Supercharger ? Might there be automotive performance parity between you and your friend there? Keep us posted!

dsc888
Old 04-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
What's a shame is that as customers, we can't actually see an A-Spec car at dealerships. If I could park an A-Spec next to a non-A-Spec and see them both in person, I'd be able to decide if it's what I want.
My dealer always has one sitting in the showroom.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
EMF ... trust me on this ... when I put on the Comptech springs on my TL-S .. I was horrified at how low it dropped the car.. and that was only about 1" ... this drop ... i actually thought that I replaced my stock springs for another set of stock springs ... b/c I didn't even notice a drop. I'm very finicky about stuff like that b/c i don't want a ricey looking TL. i was a very OEM looking TL .. you'll be very satisfied w/ the drop (a virtually non-existant one).

Ok, thanks Peter for the reassurance. I'm getting closer to the install with every glowing post I read.
Like you, I also don't want a "ricey" looking TL. In fact, I wasn't even sure I wanted the body kit because I was nervous the car would look "pimped!" lol..... However, I now love the body kit!!
As soon as I can decide which 18" wheels to get (I know...I'm all over the place), I will do those. But Acura only for me.....I'd never consider aftermarket. Nothing against others, just not my taste.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
My dealer always has one sitting in the showroom.
Oh...THAT'S the one! lol
Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

But Acura only for me.....I'd never consider aftermarket. Nothing against others, just not my taste.
Also bear in mind that the factory kit was actually wind tunnel tested! It drops Cd from 0.28 to 0.27 which translates to inproved fuel economy at freeway speeds and improved downforce due to it creating a high pressure area below the car....or is that low pressure area? Plus the lowered ride height from the A-spec suspension should in theory help with stability even further.

dsc888
Old 04-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dsc888
Also bear in mind that the factory kit was actually wind tunnel tested! It drops Cd from 0.28 to 0.27 which translates to inproved fuel economy at freeway speeds and improved downforce due to it creating a high pressure area below the car....or is that low pressure area? Plus the lowered ride height from the A-spec suspension should in theory help with stability even further.

dsc888

NICE!!