1 mo w/ Kumho Ecsta ASX, RonJon 1pf and Comptech RSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
1 mo w/ Kumho Ecsta ASX, RonJon 1pf and Comptech RSB

I thought I'd finally post some impressions of my latest suspension upgrades. I've already had the A-Spec suspension kit for two years (AT kit for my 5AT). Last month I had installed:

1. RonJon 1pf 18". I didn't go with 19's because this is my daily driver and I wanted to keep the ride close to stock. These wheels not only look good, but because they are hubcentric and made specifically for our cars, I have had no vibrations referable to them. Some claim that you can feel the lighter weight of the wheels, but frankly the weight that was taken away by my current tire and wheel package was added to because I put the A-Spec body kit on at the same time. I therefore don't feel any "lightness" and wouldn't notice it except on the track. The ride quality is a little bumpier than with the stock 17's and their increased sidewall, but it is VERY tolerable. Overall, these wheels are a good investment. I sealed them months ago after I bought them and so far, they seem to be holding up nicely to the elements.

2. Comptech rear sway bar. Holy $hit. That about covers it. I should have done this at the same time as the A-Spec suspension. It contributes nothing to the ride (and shouldn't). I notice that my turns are more stable even in everyday city driving, with even less body roll than with the A-Spec suspension Understeer (the tendency of the car to "want" to track straight in a turn) is noticeably less. Freeway driving in areas with lots of curves is REALLY fun now as the car doesn't roll and pitch--doing so only minimally. Why Acura doesn't add this to the A-Spec package mystifies me.

3. Kumho Ecsta ASX. I've put a bit over 1.5k miles on these tires now. They definitely flatspot in the mornings. I don't mind it because EVERY low profile, nylon-containing tire I've used flatspots. I will say, though, they flatspot much more than the Falken ZIEX ZE 512s that I use on my stock wheels. They are VERY quiet, much more so than my howling Falkens, and are quieter than the Turanzas this car came with. However, it's not fair to judge noise at only 1k miles, I'll holler back at 10k miles. Some complain that the sidewall flexes in the turns, making them slightly less predictable. I have not had that experience and find that the tires are very reliable in telling you when they want to become loose in a turn, and that itself if hard to do as they stick like glue. They are every bit as good in the rain as the Falkens were and totally lack hydroplaning even in heavy downpours. I had to use them in light snow the week after they were installed and they did fine in that.

Overall, it's like my car is new again! It's more fun to drive than ever before and I notice myself driving a little harder.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha.. Thanks for the review bob! We can always count on you.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:34 PM
信是寶

Originally Posted by neuronbob

3. Kumho Ecsta ASX. I've put a bit over 1.5k miles on these tires now. They definitely flatspot in the mornings. I don't mind it because EVERY low profile, nylon-containing tire I've used flatspots. I will say, though, they flatspot much more than the Falken ZIEX ZE 512s that I use on my stock wheels. They are VERY quiet, much more so than my howling Falkens, and are quieter than the Turanzas this car came with. However, it's not fair to judge noise at only 1k miles, I'll holler back at 10k miles. Some complain that the sidewall flexes in the turns, making them slightly less predictable. I have not had that experience and find that the tires are very reliable in telling you when they want to become loose in a turn, and that itself if hard to do as they stick like glue. They are every bit as good in the rain as the Falkens were and totally lack hydroplaning even in heavy downpours. I had to use them in light snow the week after they were installed and they did fine in that.

Overall, it's like my car is new again! It's more fun to drive than ever before and I notice myself driving a little harder.
How are those tires working out, did ya get 10k on them yet? :-) I am in need of some new shoes soon and was thinking of switching from the PZeros to the ECSTA ASX?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:50 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to hijack more than I have to, but for the Comptech RSB, did you use greased bushings? What makes me reluctant to do this mod is that I don't know much about bushings. I guess what I'm looking for is the most painless (in terms of knowledge and time required... the less the better) install...
Old 08-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
i was thinking about the devotions, but the only things that i am debating is that they only come in 18x8 and not 18 x 8.5. If they did, i would buy them in a heartbeat. (if i had the 2k)
Old 08-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
great reaview me and my wife are thinking on getting the dev and i have riding on the khumo asx and have been happy with them and we are also planing on getting the comptech rsb so im glad to see your results
Old 08-23-2006, 03:39 PM
WDP GURRRRL

I have the Kumho Ecstas...I love them...I've had Nitto and Falken in the past, by far the better tire...I get the flat spot in the morning as well...about 2 miles after its gone....