**Vegas**- Rent OEM TL springs for a week or two

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
**Vegas**- Rent OEM TL springs for a week or two

Just as the title says. I live in Vegas and want to rent somebody's OEM springs from their 3g TL. I own a 2005 RL and the suspension choices are ass with the lowest spring being a 1.5" H&R drop. I come from the G35 who can be interchanged with the 350Z for .5" more of a drop then G35 springs. How about how 3g TL's can swap out with 6th gen Accords. and even the past integra and civic interchanges. So im looking for a similar option to the G35/350Z swap and achieve possibly an additional .5" to .75" and to see if i can fit the TL springs on the RL for an ultimate drop of 2"-2.25". Most will say blah blah buy coilovers, blah blah too low. Im a set it and forget it guy why spend 4 times the cost for adjustability if ill NEVER adjust it.

So anybody in Vegas want to dust off their OEM springs for a little cash in return ill even offer collateral of some sort to ensure you will get your springs back if you need it. Thank you in aiding in my experiment...
Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol rent? why
Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our spring rates are WAY different. You'll be bouncing everywhere. They make coilovers for the RL ... save up your $$$$
Old 03-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
^ he answered both of your questions
Old 03-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by myron
^ he answered both of your questions
Thank you Myron for actually understanding what i was asking and looking for. Im totally aware that the spring rates are different, as well as the RL being heavier than the TL hense the reason for the difference in spring rates. Im also aware of the added weight to a G35 as opposed to the 350z and guess what?

My G35 with 350Z springs on a perfect drop and the ride was just as comfortable and perfect. Obtained from trial and error with different springs and their different rates. I mean lowering springs are not manufactured with the same spring rates as OEM right? So why does it matter what rate the OEM springs are as they will only be a test fit to see if they fit and if there is a height advantage toward my ride height goal.

As for coilovers im very well aware of the Tein and H&R coilovers... they call those adjustable right? Or tunable suspension right? Yeah i dont think i will see my RL on the RACE TRACK or drag strip anytime soon where i need to "tune" my suspension to specific driving conditions and handling characteristics which what this type of suspension was suited for. I just want a comfortable drop at the height i want. And for saving money i assure you money is not an issue, but i have also learned that just because i have the money to buy a porsche doesnt mean that i should or that its a good idea to do so. But thank you for caring about my finances.

With that said can somebody local please allow me to do this swap with their OEM springs? Im more than happy to offer cash for the time used, as i know it sounded strange for me to rent springs. Somebody figured out other springs fit on other cars in the past, but this time around it seems im going to do the work to find out about the RL since most of the current owners are settling for the same ol H&R sport drop and with such a limited aftermarket for these cars i dont see them making many more options soon. I would really appreciate the help... thank you.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:31 AM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice wheels bro.. too bad your not local, id let you use mine..
Old 03-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DXplicitOne, nice clean G you had there.

By the way, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure the 3G TL rear springs won't fit your RL at all. The TL has coil over (meaning shock and spring as one assembly) on all 4 corners. Your RL has separate strut and spring in the rear. The front 3G TL springs might fit your car.

Look into 4G TL. Because 4G TL is available with AWD, you might have a better chance there.

Check out these installation instructions and you'll see the RL and TL have totally different rear suspension.
TL: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII25351.pdf
RL: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII27034.pdf

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

sick G man, really fucking nice. Love the wheels
Old 03-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the compliments on the G guys, i loved that car minus the fact that it was problematic and that it was a 2 door so i sold it recently to get my RL. Those wheels were one of the favorite sets that i ever owned they actually used to be the AME blue but i refinished them to what you see there... ill be painting my RL soon enough as well since i get bored with cars so i change them often. My for sale thread when i sold the wheels (gave them away), you will see what they used to be.
Click for link

260 HP - Great info... this tells me that the rears are the exact same setup that believe it or not the G35 had and that bump stop that you see at the top of the spring in #38's diagram can be sliced down about .25-.50 just like many do on the G35's to level the drop. With that said im still looking for these TL springs to test fit at least the fronts. Because i think i have found the solution for the rears now which ill have a better idea once i get into the car more taking it apart. As for using 4th gen TL springs i want to get away from simply because they are nowhere near as popular as the 3rd gens and finding a set of springs is probably ALOT harder than finding these 3rd gens instead. Thank you for the input.

Last edited by DXplicitOne; 03-27-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rear suspension design of the RL and the G is shared by a lot of cars. Honda Odyssey, Pilot, Acura MDX, even BMW E36, E46 and I think E9x also have similar design. It's cheap to manufacture.

At this point, yes, the 3G TL have pretty good aftermarket support and I think 4G TL will be the same.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 260 HP
The rear suspension design of the RL and the G is shared by a lot of cars. Honda Odyssey, Pilot, Acura MDX, even BMW E36, E46 and I think E9x also have similar design. It's cheap to manufacture.

At this point, yes, the 3G TL have pretty good aftermarket support and I think 4G TL will be the same.
Thats right... my E46 was this wasy as well now that i think about it. Thank you

NOBODY will let me get some OEM springs from their garage for serious?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

painting the RL? Keep talking......
Old 03-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Instructor

I bought my car in this girlish (no offence to others) powder bluish color and just cant stand it. I knew i would be painting it anyway since i have painted all my last 6 cars. Ill be taking it from current state to most likely a doo doo brown with a light metallic or a black with the metallic. I favor the doo doo because there is an OEM black and whats the point if ill look like others. I think it will match the interior quite well with the parchement and ivory interior but i will also be painting the wood grain the same color as the exterior as im just not a fan of wood grain at all.
I cannot do this till im done with my current project of painting my girl friends IS300. Its currently a dull silver with fading clear on the rear bumper that i will take to a BrandyWine with red metallic within the month, should pair up well with her black interior. So hers first as i already promised and the mine..

kinda why im worried more about getting the stance corrected now because i dont want to be wrenching around new paint risking scratches. SO somebody help me out with some springs !