Yet another TL that won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:16 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Yet another TL that won't start

I tried to start my car today and it just wouldn't turn over. I'm suspecting it's the battery like those who had experienced this as well. However, if the battery is the culprit, how can I still be able to unlock/lock the car with the key fob and be able to use the memory seat functions? I know that the seats can move back and forth when the car is off, but with a dead battery, I wouldn't be able to do that, right? Also, I've tried turning on the headlights and fogs and they came up as well.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:57 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The starter will usually require much more from the battery than the electronics etc. Try turning your lights on then cranking over your car, lights will probably dim or go out. Unless you've already done these things, then it would be another culprit in the starting electronics.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:50 PM
All About Trance

It was the battery. After getting a jump from one of the contractors that Acura Roadside Assistance uses, I was able to start the car and drive to AutoZone to get an Optima Red Top battery. It took me forever to get the battery in because the battery tray was in the way. After getting rid of it, I was able to hook all of the terminals together. FYI for those of you who are considering replacing your battery.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:06 AM
All About Trance

Well, it's not the battery that was the culprit since I can't get the car to crank with the new battery. It's being towed to my dealership now for them to diagnose what the problem is. It may or may not have to do with my temp gauge flatlining a week ago, but it returned to normal after the temp had stabilized.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:55 AM
All About Trance

Just got back from the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it . . . not even an error code. I had asked the tech if it could be a starter issue and he said no. However, when he had gotten in it, it started up for him. This totally blows.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

:/ hope your problem gets resolved...
Old 08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Advanced

i had the same problem does the belts turn when you try to start the car (my would start then wont, it was the fuelpump) if not starting now go in the trunk and take the hose off the pump and try to start it to see if the fuel is pumping good luck
Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 PM
All About Trance

I had no problems starting the car after putting gas in the car last Friday. I had gone out on Saturday and had no problem. Sunday afternoon was when I had the problem and thought it was associated with the battery. After replacing it, it had cranked without a problem until Monday morning. The tech said that the battery terminal was loose, so he had it tightened. However, that doesn't make sense if that was the case because I was able to crank the car without a problem with the new battery.

Well, it looks like my car is starting up without a problem again after that visit to the dealership. If it happens again, I'll bring up the case with a faulty fuse box under the dash to see if it's the culprit.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
All About Trance

Same problem again this morning. Since I had already printed out the Service Bulletin 05-013, I knew what to expect. I popped opened the fuse box under the dash and looked for the ignition fuse. Took that out, put it back in, and my car cranked back up again. I have a service call with them regarding my B service so I brought that to their attention as well. I'll update afterwards.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:52 PM
All About Trance

Yet again, the problem did not resurface for the Acura tech to diagnose. They had tested my battery (shouldn't be the case since it's brand spanking new) and it was ok. They tested the charging system and that was ok. They tested the connections at the fuse box and that, too, was ok. The rep told me that the fuse box I have in my car is the new one already that the service bulletin was referencing. Could this be the fuel pump? If so, how or where would I go to find it to diagnose this?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:49 PM
05 TL

I would start to get pissed at this point... Get the service manager. A new car, a 35 thousand dollar car should NOT have random issues starting.

If they don't do something for you on the spot, get the number from them for acura customer support so that you can file a complaint.

Tell them that you are not happy... They can keep the car for a few days... You can get a loaner.

Man, Im getting pissed just talking about it now...

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracker
I would start to get pissed at this point... Get the service manager. A new car, a 35 thousand dollar car should NOT have random issues starting.

If they don't do something for you on the spot, get the number from them for acura customer support so that you can file a complaint.

Tell them that you are not happy... They can keep the car for a few days... You can get a loaner.

Man, Im getting pissed just talking about it now...

Good luck.
One problem...how can they fix what isn't wrong? But your suggestion to leave it with them for a while is a good one. It needs to fail with them so they can find a problem.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear

I have the same f'king problem w/ starting my CAR!!

When i turn my key to start the engin, it makes hissing sound.
Does your car make that sound when you try to turn your key, mn2trance??

What Shoul I do???

Should i just call contractors form Acura Roadside Assistance to towe my car

to the dealer??

Do I have to pay for the towing??

Do you have any new infomation from dealer or anywhere else for
you problem??

Sorry for asking too much..
Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 PM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
One problem...how can they fix what isn't wrong? But your suggestion to leave it with them for a while is a good one. It needs to fail with them so they can find a problem.
Sounds good, but I doubt they'll have time to look at this when there are numerous service calls they have to address every day. If the car just sits and sits and they try to crank it afterward and the no start happens for them, they'll probably attribute it to car just sitting there and the battery. I've also noticed that when it would not start the first time, my gas tank had dipped a little bit below the half way mark. And this time, the tank was pretty much close to empty, but not low enough to warrant a low fuel warning light. So, it may or may not be the fuel pump. If that was the case, I wouldn't be able to accelerate when I downshift/upshift.

hyune08, my car doesn't make the hissing sound at all. When I turn the key to the II position, my instrumentation lights do not come on nor does my radio. Does yours? However, my key fob, memory seats, and trunk opens up fine as well as cabin lights turning on.

As for your car, get it towed to the dealership and have them look at it. It won't cost you a thing since it's included in the car's warranty and TLC. And no, I don't have any new information because the dealership was not able to reproduce the problem and it didn't return any error codes.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:29 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you for your ansewer...

well when i turn my key to II position, my radio and other interior lights
works just fine.
but my navigation system screen and head lamp dont work properly.
May be it's just dead battery.
I should jump start my car today when i get home and see what happens...
thanks for quick answer... ^^
Old 08-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Banned

I have an 04. Mine didn't start today. Both terminals were covered with corrosion. Multi-meter showed 10.8 volts. Cleaned the terminals, put it on a slow charge and got a ride to work. I will find out more when I get back home. Should a battery last more than 2 ½ years? I was thinking more about 5 years.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:41 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikedjpn
I have an 04. Mine didn't start today. Both terminals were covered with corrosion. Multi-meter showed 10.8 volts. Cleaned the terminals, put it on a slow charge and got a ride to work. I will find out more when I get back home. Should a battery last more than 2 ½ years? I was thinking more about 5 years.

In 2004 their was a report that Acura had a slew of bad batteries..

I will admit that my 04TL (will be 3 yrs old in Dec) battery has never let me down,, but it takes very little to drain it.... I no longer let the radio play for even a half hour or so while washing etc.....

Could any of you guys have an issue with the security system?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 PM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
No, my security system still works because I had tested it by pressing panic when the car wouldn't start. It's just that my dash lights and radio don't come on when it refuses to start. Pulling the ignition fuse and putting it back in had allowed me to crank the car again.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Racer

Well today the TL did the same thing with the buzzing sound. I think the timing with the alarm has something to do with it. As I got int the car it took about 30 seconds for me to start the car. Maybe the alarm was being activated as I was turning the ignition on. I do not feel the battery has anything to do with it.It is a 2006 model. This is about the fourth time I have encountered this buzzing sound with the TL.Well keeping fingers crossed.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:47 PM
All About Trance

^^ That's strange that your '06 would be doing that. Have you brought it to a service rep's attention at the dealership? Also, did you try the ignition delay by putting it on II for a couple of seconds before turning it to III to start the car?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Thanks mn2trance for letting me know about this thread. I'll have to try a couple of the ideas here. One question though: Isn't the battery under warranty? Aren't they also supposed to last at least 4 years?
I also thought it was my battery but none of instrument lights flicker.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
In 2004 their was a report that Acura had a slew of bad batteries..

I will admit that my 04TL (will be 3 yrs old in Dec) battery has never let me down,, but it takes very little to drain it.... I no longer let the radio play for even a half hour or so while washing etc.....

Where can I find the info about the report of 04 bad batteries?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 AM
All About Trance

Not a problem, tekageek.

And my no start happened again this morning! Unplugging the 7.5 amp for the ignition and putting it back in got me to start it right up again. The only difference was that I had put new rims and tires on last night. Maybe I should just tell them to keep it for a week and see if it happens for them.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:59 AM
3rd Gear

About Battery Warranty

I just talk to the service department about my problem

and they told me that the Battery is covered under warranty

for 2 years/ 24000 miles and after that, they will pro-rate the cost to

change it.

I hope it's just a dead battery problem...

I will keep on post it for any result after tommorows visit to the dealer.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
All About Trance

Man, I had passed the 24K miles mark when my battery had crapped out on me.

I have made an appointment with my dealer to drop my car off on Monday. And I think I've found the reason why my steering wheel was vibrating on the way to work this morning. Apparently, I had put the tires on backwards when I had mounted my rims last night. I had known this because a co-worker had pointed out to me that my tires are directionals.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM
05 TL

I had an optima battery go bad on me... The parts store tested it, and it was fine. Took my Saturn to a repair shop to replace the starter. They tested my battery and said it was bad.

They used a Interstate and Snap On Battery tester to show me it was bad. Took it back to the parts store, passed again. Told them that it failed on other testers, and they gave me a new battery.

It didn't fit the behavior that I would expect from a bad battery, nor did it fail the original test. But it was bad.

See if they can test it with other testers just for your peace of mind... Passes on other testers...

Speaking of Optima... I just bought a 34R red top from summit racing. Typically people cant /dont get the 34R (R = reversed) and have to run longer ground wires.

Good Luck.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 PM
All About Trance

More and more, I'm thinking something is wrong with my fuse box. Apparently, the failed fuse box is SEP-A02, but I have SEP-A0. The replacement is SEP-A03. When I had gotten home and needed to go somewhere, it would not crank and I had to fiddle with the fuse to get it to start again. I have not done anything to my car interior wise so there can't be anything draining the battery or causing a short with the electronics, yet my dash lights and radio don't come on until fiddling with the fuse box. They've tested my Optima Red Top and it was making 1000 CCA. We'll see once I drop it off all of next week with them.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:17 PM
05 TL

I actually bought a portable jumpstart booster when my Saturn was acting flakey. It has been very very useful... Mostly to other people, but its really nice not have to depend on others to help start your car.

They are about 100 bux... Considering a nice set of jumper cables are 60-70 ish bux... I thought this was a better deal. There is a nice spot for it sitting on top of the nav unit in my trunk.

Then again its free to call Acura, and if you do that there is a record of your complaint. After a few of those, someone might take note.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:51 AM
06 TL

this is really interesting, i'm curious to see what the problem is...keep us updated, and good luck with everything!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:39 AM
All About Trance

I might have to go that route, Kracker, since my car didn't start again this morning! I did the usual remove fuse from under dash fuse box, put it back in, and tried starting it and it won't crank at all. Same scenario of no dash lights, no radio, and no clock once key had been turned to the II position. I'll have to call for a tow Monday morning if I can't get it to turn over by the weekend.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 PM
All About Trance

Since the pulling of fuses didn't work and thinking it was the fuse box all along, I'm beginning to form another theory. I believe my HFL unit (which was replaced last year) is the culprit. On the way home from work yesterday, I had the phone paired to my car. Every time I go to use the HFL in it, I can't get it to crank the next morning. Last night after I had gotten it cranked, I had used the HFL again to make calls and stuff. And that's when it wouldn't start this morning. I've noticed that on days I didn't pair my phone to my car, I was able to start it right away. On days I do pair my phone to the car, you know what happens afterwards.

And another thing that leads me to believe it's the HFL is when I disconnected the battery the first time, my phonebook with all of my contacts were still there and my phone was still paired to it. If the battery had been disconnected, wouldn't it clear the HFL's memory from the car just like it had reset the radio and clock?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:23 PM
All About Trance

Scratch that notion since it didn't start again after starting like a champ earlier today after getting it to start again.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:11 AM
All About Trance

Car wouldn't even start with a jump start so I had to get it towed to the dealership this morning. After it had gotten there, they couldn't get it to start either, so they see what I've been experiencing for the past days now. And the service rep said that the HFL is independent from the battery . . . that's why my phonebook didn't clear when my battery had been disconnected/reconnected. Got a TSX loaner again, but at least it starts.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:18 PM
All About Trance

Dealer had called me earlier and said that they had gotten it to start again . . . AFTER replacing the fuse box as I had previously mentioned earlier! They're going to keep it over night to see if it's good to go. I should've told them to hold onto it longer so that it doesn't happen again later down the road.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Well at least they've seen it now. Lets hope this is it...
Old 08-14-2006, 04:48 PM
All About Trance

Yop . . . let's hope so because I hate having to take it in more than it has to.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
6th Gear

car starting issues

Two days ago my car would not start either. Seats, radio, all lights, etc. still worked but the car just would not start. I eventually got it to start and then it seamed to be doing fine. However, this morning the same thing happened but I could not get it to start . Called TLC to come and give me a jump and went straight to the dealership. They tested the battery and said it was dead as could be. Luckily it was still under the 2yr warrenty and I did not have to pay anything. The service guy said they replaced it with a better battery due to issues with the previous batteries. This new battery is covered for another 3yrs full warrenty. After the 3yrs they will start to prorate if it needs replaced. Hopefully I do not need to use this new warrenty.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:39 PM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by jaxflboy
Two days ago my car would not start either. Seats, radio, all lights, etc. still worked but the car just would not start. I eventually got it to start and then it seamed to be doing fine. However, this morning the same thing happened but I could not get it to start .
That's exactly how my issue started, but I went out to buy a new battery instead of taking it to the dealership to test it.

I went to go pick up my car from the dealership and it started fine and went back to work. After work, I got into the car and it started fine. When I had gotten home and wondered why my passenger door was locked, but not my driver's door after I had pressed the unlocked button on the key fob, I put the key back in and put it to the II position so that I could just go to the Keyless Entry settings. Guess what? My dash lights and clock did not light up, but my radio came on. I decided to start the car and it sounds like it was going to start, but it never caught (big improvement over last time). WTF is going on after the fuse box had been replaced after they had found a short in it? I'm gonna wait until the engine cools to see if I can get it to start again. I'm beginning to get annoyed now.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Damn dude that friggin sucks, take it back to them, and tell them that if they can't figure it out on their own they should be calling the techline, if that doesnt solve anything tell them you want the district service manager informed of the history and want him to come and try to debug it. I really hope your not paying for these trips in for diagnostic fees and such. Sounds like theres one hell of a gremlin in your wire harness. Goodluck in your battles and keep us posted on solution and outcome. On the plus side it sounds like your dealer is atleast friendly and trying to help.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 AM
All About Trance

Yeah, they're really friendly and provide good service. I'll be calling the service rep again to inform him of the situation. After digging around for TSBs for my symptom, I came upon TSB - 06-013: Long Crank Time or Hard Starting. However, this is for an '04 and hope this will provide my service rep an idea to tell the tech.

Also, all these repairs are within warranty since my car is an '05 with around 24,700 miles now. And I also wonder if the car being on an incline has to do anything with the fuel pump acting like that since my drive way is on top of a little hill.

Quick Reply: Yet another TL that won't start