Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Crack

I discovered a crack in my windshield this morning and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. The crack starts from UNDER the window trim, about 12" from the bottom on the passenger side. There are no signs of rock or debris hitting the glass, trim or A-pillar - I didn't hear anything hit the car either. The crack is growing quickly, straight across the windshield - it's currently about 16" long. Could this be a Mfg related defect?? Anyone else have a crack form from no apparent cause?

thx -
sftroy
Old 02-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sftroy
I discovered a crack in my windshield this morning and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. The crack starts from UNDER the window trim, about 12" from the bottom on the passenger side. There are no signs of rock or debris hitting the glass, trim or A-pillar - I didn't hear anything hit the car either. The crack is growing quickly, straight across the windshield - it's currently about 16" long. Could this be a Mfg related defect?? Anyone else have a crack form from no apparent cause?

thx -
sftroy

I remember seeing a similar post here. The dealer ended up replacing the windshield because it was deemed a stress fracture. Maybe you can get this too. Try searching for that thread. Good Luck

jjh1234
Old 02-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Maybe you should take a photo of that crack and post it.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Instructor

jjh1234: yeah, should have searched first.... but thanks for the reminder. I found several posts of similar stress fractures. Looks like most dealers have been replacing. Wish me luck!
Old 02-03-2006, 03:20 PM
10th Gear

thx -
sftroy
I'm on my 3rd windshield now in 2 years. Atlanta construction!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Update: Dealer agreed the crack was a not caused by debris hitting the windshield and will replace the windshield under warranty. Yeah.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpjones68
I'm on my 3rd windshield now in 2 years. Atlanta construction!!!
The windshield glass in the TL is two thin pieces of glass with some sort of sound absorbing stuff between. This seems like a REAL bad idea, they should have just made it real thick (it would be heavy).
I have a crack that safelight fixed, stone hit, it looked like it come from outer space. Safelight puts glue type stuff in the crack for $60.00.
Its about an inch long...

Brett
Old 02-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Instructor

it cost me 588 with install at the dealership
Old 02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by luniz97
it cost me 588 with install at the dealership

where are you located? the average price i have come across at dealers and aftermarket installers alike (using OEM glass) is around 750.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:34 PM
4th Gear

thx -
sftroy
sftroy: Congrats! Here's my story--similar to what you describe. Last month, I found a windshield crack in my '04 TL's (VIN 21,xxx) windshield. The crack began under the trim of the TL's right-side A-pillar, and about 12" or so up from the bottom of the windshield. The crack ran straight across the windshield towards the other side for about 14-16" before taking a 60-degree upwards turn for another 2-3." Discovered the crack one morning, as the TL sleeps at night in my garage. "WTF," I said to myself, "That sucker sure wasn't there last night!"

My Service Advisor performed visual inspection, and found no evidence that damage was caused by a rock (no matter HOW small) or other foreign object. Also, they traced with ballpoint pen to pick up possible minute rock damage that might not be readily apparent to the eye. Conclusion after a few days of consultation time: A stress crack (rare, I was told). The windshield was replaced under warranty. Score one for Acura.

In retrospect, I need to add that I have heard a loud "snapping" sound coming from my A-pillar ever since I purchased my TL new. The sound is very random, and does not occur that often. I have found the sound occurs more often during the hot days of Summer than it does at night or in the Winter cold. I never reported this to the dealer, deciding instead to simply file it in my "The Strange, Wierd, and Unexplained" file. But, after the crack appeared, I now wonder if there is some relationship between the windshield stress crack and those A-pillar snapping sounds...
Old 03-28-2006, 03:22 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by delta
sftroy: Congrats! Here's my story--similar to what you describe. Last month, I found a windshield crack in my '04 TL's (VIN 21,xxx) windshield. The crack began under the trim of the TL's right-side A-pillar, and about 12" or so up from the bottom of the windshield. The crack ran straight across the windshield towards the other side for about 14-16" before taking a 60-degree upwards turn for another 2-3." Discovered the crack one morning, as the TL sleeps at night in my garage. "WTF," I said to myself, "That sucker sure wasn't there last night!"

My Service Advisor performed visual inspection, and found no evidence that damage was caused by a rock (no matter HOW small) or other foreign object. Also, they traced with ballpoint pen to pick up possible minute rock damage that might not be readily apparent to the eye. Conclusion after a few days of consultation time: A stress crack (rare, I was told). The windshield was replaced under warranty. Score one for Acura.

In retrospect, I need to add that I have heard a loud "snapping" sound coming from my A-pillar ever since I purchased my TL new. The sound is very random, and does not occur that often. I have found the sound occurs more often during the hot days of Summer than it does at night or in the Winter cold. I never reported this to the dealer, deciding instead to simply file it in my "The Strange, Wierd, and Unexplained" file. But, after the crack appeared, I now wonder if there is some relationship between the windshield stress crack and those A-pillar snapping sounds...
Add my windshield to this thread. Same place-about 12" from bottom & appeared from passenger A-pillar. Drove all day & everything was normal. Parked & shopped for some new threads. Returned to parking garage to find crack. It has since increased by 4 inches in 3 days of driving. Thanks everyone for the info re: stress fracture. Will talk to dealer about this.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to have my windshield replaced last year. It seemed that even the smallest of stones would make a large impact on the windshield. I had four of them successfully repaired the 5th one caused the windshield to crack from one side all the way to other on a very hot summer day. My replacement windshield seems to be alot stronger than the orginal. I have been hit by stones several times where I thought there would be a mark, but "knock on wood" all is still good.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:52 AM
4th Gear

Thanks to all who posted re: speaking to dealer about stress fracture causing cracks in our windshields. I went to the Tustin Acura this afternoon & showed them the crack. A service manager was called in to inspect it. Seeing that there was no chip mark from a rock, he OK'd the dealer replacement. Before walking off, he also asked how many miles I had on the car. 25k was my reply-he nodded and walked off leaving my service advisor to take care of the formalities.

You guys saved me $500 bucks!! Thanks-lets have a beer!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:32 PM
10th Gear

anyone have any pictures of the windshield crack? it sounds like what have. i just saw it today