Will Acura Dealer assist with TSBs for 2006 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Acura Dealer assist with TSBs for 2006 TL?

Hello all,
I've perused the forums for while now and I decided to join this Acura community. I purchased a 2006 Acura TL 6spd back in march with 72,000 miles on it. It is black/black and exactly what I wanted. My other car is a 2005 Porsche 987 with 202,000 miles; I love driving standard transmissions. The TL been pretty reliable with only a nagging oil leak (no drips) and stuck rear brakes when I bought it for $6500. I ended up entirely replacing all rear braking hardware and fluid myself. I also got lucky since the clutch had just been replaced in December, along with the front brake pads.

One of the things I've learned about the 3rd gen TL is the recalls and technical service bulletins that the dealership deals with. The previous owner put low miles on it, and it was serviced decently through the years. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience dealing with the dealer when it comes to these TSBs. My car is 12 years old, and the previous owner did purchase it certified from a dealer in the area. There are 2 issues addressed by these TSBs I am dealing with: An occasional rattle from the rear sub-woofer enclosure, and the gear shifter pops out of third gear after engagement during some cold starts. You have to put some force on it to ensure it is engaged, which is annoying when its unexpected. I don't believe my car has the PS hose recall.

I have heard that replacing the fluid with gm synchromesh helps with this problem, but I have heard that Acura has at other times replaced or repaired the 3rd gear syncro. Obviously, I would prefer this option before I just replace the fluid, if they will do it for less than full cost or free. If there is something mechanically wrong, the fluid change just feels like a band-aid. Still, with an older model, I am not sure what kind of response to expect at the dealership, whether different dealerships will address the issue (monetarily) better than others, or if these TSBs are a lost cause. I have 80000 miles on it now.

If anyone has had any experience with this, or can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated!

Old 09-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Recall is something they'll handle 100%.

TSB is more of a, "Hey this is fucked up, this is what's wrong, this is how to fix it" for the techs and customers usually find access to it to share. If the car is out of warranty, a dealership really won't do much in terms of favors regarding those issues.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
With you having no history with Acura and the care being 12 years old...don't expect much from the dealer. Most that get help on TSB generally have long service history with the dealer.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Safety recall: AFAIK, they are required by law to complete regardless of age or ownership.

TSB: dealer dependent. If you don't get any satisfaction, move up to the district manager.

FYI, give the VIN# to any dealer service dept and they should be able to tell you what TSBs have been done on your TL.

Definitely go with the synchromesh fluid first. I wouldn't even consider the TSB until you've given the fluid a chance.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by darkstormvx
Hello all,
I've perused the forums for while now and I decided to join this Acura community. I purchased a 2006 Acura TL 6spd back in march with 72,000 miles on it. It is black/black and exactly what I wanted. My other car is a 2005 Porsche 987 with 202,000 miles; I love driving standard transmissions. The TL been pretty reliable with only a nagging oil leak (no drips) and stuck rear brakes when I bought it for $6500. I ended up entirely replacing all rear braking hardware and fluid myself. I also got lucky since the clutch had just been replaced in December, along with the front brake pads.

One of the things I've learned about the 3rd gen TL is the recalls and technical service bulletins that the dealership deals with. The previous owner put low miles on it, and it was serviced decently through the years. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience dealing with the dealer when it comes to these TSBs. My car is 12 years old, and the previous owner did purchase it certified from a dealer in the area. There are 2 issues addressed by these TSBs I am dealing with: An occasional rattle from the rear sub-woofer enclosure, and the gear shifter pops out of third gear after engagement during some cold starts. You have to put some force on it to ensure it is engaged, which is annoying when its unexpected. I don't believe my car has the PS hose recall.

I have heard that replacing the fluid with gm synchromesh helps with this problem, but I have heard that Acura has at other times replaced or repaired the 3rd gear syncro. Obviously, I would prefer this option before I just replace the fluid, if they will do it for less than full cost or free. If there is something mechanically wrong, the fluid change just feels like a band-aid. Still, with an older model, I am not sure what kind of response to expect at the dealership, whether different dealerships will address the issue (monetarily) better than others, or if these TSBs are a lost cause. I have 80000 miles on it now.

If anyone has had any experience with this, or can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated!
As a general rule, dealerships (regardless of brand) won't do free TSB work on cars unless the owner is a long-standing customer. Regarding the 3rd gear issue, just put Synchromesh Friction Modified in there and call it a day; you won't regret it.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys. I'll give the synchromesh fluid a shot first. Thanks