Dealer Experience with 2017 TSBs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking Dealer Experience with 2017 TSBs

So after looking at the TSB's for our 2 month old 2017 MDX AWD Base posted, printed 4 that were applicable - PFI Software upgrade, High pressure fuel pump (HPFP) chirp and two others and headed over to my local Acura dealer to take care of those. Had recently noticed the HPFP chirp and the gas fuel door not aligned as mentioned in another posts. Anyway the first SA I saw ran my VIN and said there were no open recalls on my MDX. I insisted that these TSB are recent and would like to have them taken care of. Again he tried to blow me off saying "they couldn't do it even if they wanted to" as my VIN was showing up as recall free. Anyway I insisted and asked him to at least look at the gas cap being not flush. He hemmed and hawed about having to order the parts and me having to come back again but got no definitive plan of action.
During this time (I was thinking to call Acura after my visit to complain/report this behavior), the Service Manager saw what was going on and stepped in to handle my case. Totally different experience ! He instantly acknowledged the TSB's, scheduled the PFI software upgrade and ordered parts for the HPFP chirps and gas cap door replacement. Also appeared that he knew what I was talking about, compared to the flake I saw first. Service Manager said I would have to leave my MDX overnight to take care of the two replacements and offered a loaner MDX.

Parts will be here Monday and will update after the work has been done, but so far so good.
Bottom line - shove the TSB's down their throat and get it repaired under warranty !! Even if they have not seen the TSB or tell you that your MDX is "too new". Yes I got that line as well today
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (12-09-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:17 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a TSB for the gas door?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KmanM3
Is there a TSB for the gas door?
Not that I know but it’s a known issue with the 2017 assembly line.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:42 AM
Advanced

I have asked them to look at the gas fuel flap when my car was kept overnight to fix the HPFP chirping TSB. Will ask what they did to align the fuel flap (if they tell/know honestly). Should get the X back today.......
Old 11-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 212 Posts
I'm a little confused on this thread. Having been down the road of new-car ownership for nearly 5 decades, the concept of a TSB is a dealer alert as to how and address a problem when a customer observes it. I've never (to my recollection) proactively looked for a dealer to apply a fix as outlined in a TSB unless I noticed a problem. It's good to know a TSB is there should a problem arise (meaning it's not your imagination and they have a fix already in mind). I had this with a couple of issues in my '15 RDX (brake squeal, transmission shudder). But those were in place long before I noticed the issues. I'm curious as to whether the dealer was really going to address all the TSBs you pointed out, even if you didn't notice the problem?

Curious - andy
Old 11-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by andysinnh
I'm a little confused on this thread. Having been down the road of new-car ownership for nearly 5 decades, the concept of a TSB is a dealer alert as to how and address a problem when a customer observes it. I've never (to my recollection) proactively looked for a dealer to apply a fix as outlined in a TSB unless I noticed a problem. It's good to know a TSB is there should a problem arise (meaning it's not your imagination and they have a fix already in mind). I had this with a couple of issues in my '15 RDX (brake squeal, transmission shudder). But those were in place long before I noticed the issues. I'm curious as to whether the dealer was really going to address all the TSBs you pointed out, even if you didn't notice the problem?

Curious - andy
All valid questions. I only asked dealer to take care of the TSB that applied to my VIN/MDX. In my case it was the HPFP Chirp, if others don't see it that's great ! TSB's are dealer alerts but how many dealers will proactively take care of it unless you point it out that it applies to your X. It's just more work for them without making any $ of you, so it slips under the radar when consumers are not aware of the vehicle (symptoms) that they drive. We all need to be observant rather than just being consumers !!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Most TSBs aren't something that applies to all cars in the VIN range - it just means that it "may" apply to cars in that VIN range.

Pro-actively correcting a problem that may - or may not - appear will not be reimbursed by the manufacturer.

If you have the symptom referenced in the TSB, then the dealer should fix it. If the car doesn't have the symptom, then the dealer shouldn't fix it because there is nothing to fix.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
Most TSBs aren't something that applies to all cars in the VIN range - it just means that it "may" apply to cars in that VIN range.

Pro-actively correcting a problem that may - or may not - appear will not be reimbursed by the manufacturer.

If you have the symptom referenced in the TSB, then the dealer should fix it. If the car doesn't have the symptom, then the dealer shouldn't fix it because there is nothing to fix.
Mr. Obvious, huh ? Like your dealer tagline..
Old 12-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Smile

TSB Update: Dealer took care of the TSB, replaced the HPFP (no chirp now) and also replaced some parts on the gas fuel flap. Flap sits flush with the body now, happy now.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
anyone know why acura/honda has so many TSBs every year? Im looking to switch over to 2018 MDX hybrid from my somewhat boring Lexus RX but these TSBs leads me to believe that I'd have to waste time dealing with the degenerates at the local dealers......

Lexus service appointments are so boring that I'm arguing over spots the car wash guy missed during pick up........ or things like the loaner not having the same options as my car in the shop............
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mellonc
anyone know why acura/honda has so many TSBs every year? Im looking to switch over to 2018 MDX hybrid from my somewhat boring Lexus RX but these TSBs leads me to believe that I'd have to waste time dealing with the degenerates at the local dealers......

Lexus service appointments are so boring that I'm arguing over spots the car wash guy missed during pick up........ or things like the loaner not having the same options as my car in the shop............

IMO Lexus service offer much better services than Acura.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the "PFI Software upgrade" about? Can't figure out what "PFI" stands for.

TIA...
Old 12-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmcgowangtenet
What's the "PFI Software upgrade" about? Can't figure out what "PFI" stands for.

TIA...
Short for PGM-FI refer to TSB 15-053 replaced by 17-034.

Last edited by like2ace; 12-15-2017 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bmcgowangtenet (12-18-2017)