Why Is all my Rims coming HOT! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why Is all my Rims coming HOT! HELP

I have an 05 TL, and i notice now that when i drive my car for awhile n come home I smell a little burning smell, at first i thought is was my oil but no then I notice the smell was coming from the brakes, and when I touch the rims they where really HOT mostly the passenger right side but the weird thing is all my rims are kinda hot, I looked at the pads and it's still good the rotor looks good, but i haven't check the inside of my brakes. the car drives normal it doesn't pull to the left or right n it doesn't over heat, brake fluid is good. anybody have this same problem, please HELP! thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brakes get hot...thats just the way it is

brake pads have metal in them(not a chunk, but small particles). except ceramic, hence the "low dust" is because it doesnt have metal in it.

metal(partial, pads) vs metal(rotors) = heat

and obviously ur rims will be hot since the are INCHES AWAY FROM THE BRAKE SYSTEM

and not to mention u live in hawaii....
Old 09-03-2009, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
His rims should not be getting hot regardless of what type of pads he has or on what roads he drives. They will get warm primarily from tire heat. But the rotors only get hot when they're being used. If you were to drive on an interstate highway for perhaps twenty miles, the coast off the side until you come to a stop (not recommended), your rotors should not be hot to the touch. If they are, your pads are making contact all of the time. This will prematurely wear your pads and can lead to warpage of the rotors.

If the rims are really that hot, something's not right.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ agreed, most of the times you should be feel heat "radiating" from the wheels, but obviously that's because of the rotors + pads. i can't 'imagine why your rims would feel hot to the touch? maybe it's just hawaii? haha...you shouldn't be complaining if that's the case! haha
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
They're more than likely hot because of the radiant heat from the sun.. drive at night and then touch the rim. Don't touch the rotor after driving.. you'll lose feeling for months.. lol.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Have the same problem with my tl 08
Old 09-03-2009, 10:43 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
depends on how to drive....if ur driving style is like stomp the gas stomp the brake everytime then i think there is something u might wanna change in urself and not the brake system.....

if its doing it under regular and spirited driving style....then i would get some MOTUL RBF600 brake fluid and do a drain and refill (drain as in brake bleeding).....also check ur alignment and pads properly....i think ur pads might have thinned out !!!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after driving around town in the day my rims get hot, mostly from the weather, not george foreman grille hot, but pretty hot
Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
not george foreman grille hot, but pretty hot
not alot of things are George Foreman grill hot hahaha
Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
His rims should not be getting hot regardless of what type of pads he has or on what roads he drives. They will get warm primarily from tire heat. But the rotors only get hot when they're being used. If you were to drive on an interstate highway for perhaps twenty miles, the coast off the side until you come to a stop (not recommended), your rotors should not be hot to the touch. If they are, your pads are making contact all of the time. This will prematurely wear your pads and can lead to warpage of the rotors.

SouthernBoy is usually dead on with his evaluations, but in this case if you drive your car for 20 miles on the highway, don't get out and touch the rotor or you might smell bacon burning. The FWD cars are very hard on pads/rotors as the rotor has no lateral deflection and consequently the pads ride on the rotor as they don't have any way of retracting. Next time the car is in the air, turn the wheel/tire and you'll hear the pads rubbing on the rotor. In a RWD vehicle, the rotor will deflect somewhat and keep the pads away from rotor contact, or at least not as much pressure.

Took our 2008 Kia knock around car out this morning. I checked the rotor with an infrared thermometer before leaving, 66.4 degrees, drove down the driveway, down the road for about one mile, then up on the highway for 8 miles. Never touched the brakes, stopped the car and checked the rotor temp 119.7 degrees. Continued on our 25 mile trip, mostly highways, but when we arrived at our destination, rotor 201.1 wheel 91.3 degrees.

If you look on wheel cleaners, they will always recommend that they be used on a cool wheel, never one that has been recently driven, too hot.

Last edited by Turbonut; 09-03-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

I was thinking of the same thing that maybe my pad is making contact on my rotors, bcuz this has never happen before which I know for a fact so this must be a problem! thanks for ur info.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Majofo
They're more than likely hot because of the radiant heat from the sun.. drive at night and then touch the rim. Don't touch the rotor after driving.. you'll lose feeling for months.. lol.
I do always check my rims if it rains or at night, n it still gets kinda hot the rain not to bad pretty much normal at night it gets slightly hot.
Yes I Know Not To Touch The Rotor I'm Pretty Sure Everyone Knows That!

Last edited by D-DUBZ TL; 09-03-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swoosh
depends on how to drive....if ur driving style is like stomp the gas stomp the brake everytime then i think there is something u might wanna change in urself and not the brake system.....

if its doing it under regular and spirited driving style....then i would get some MOTUL RBF600 brake fluid and do a drain and refill (drain as in brake bleeding).....also check ur alignment and pads properly....i think ur pads might have thinned out !!!
Thanks will do, I do need a brake fluid flush soon, but i already got my car align. when I dropped it about a month ago. hmm i was thinking maybe when I lowered my car something might of affect it. but will see
Old 09-03-2009, 04:39 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by D-DUBZ TL
Thanks will do, I do need a brake fluid flush soon, but i already got my car align. when I dropped it about a month ago. hmm i was thinking maybe when I lowered my car something might of affect it. but will see
if u lowered ur car and took it to the dealer to align it....waste of money....firestone or a performance shop is the place to go....i have a story to support that LOL.....

bleed ur brakes when ur changing ur pads next....if you are going to change ur brake pads, bleed the brakes the same time.....

you said u had hawk hps brake pads right ???
Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swoosh
if u lowered ur car and took it to the dealer to align it....waste of money....firestone or a performance shop is the place to go....i have a story to support that LOL.....

bleed ur brakes when ur changing ur pads next....if you are going to change ur brake pads, bleed the brakes the same time.....

you said u had hawk hps brake pads right ???
I did take my car to firestone for alignment. and NO I don't have hawk hps pads....
Old 09-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Turbonut
SouthernBoy is usually dead on with his evaluations, but in this case if you drive your car for 20 miles on the highway, don't get out and touch the rotor or you might smell bacon burning. The FWD cars are very hard on pads/rotors as the rotor has no lateral deflection and consequently the pads ride on the rotor as they don't have any way of retracting. Next time the car is in the air, turn the wheel/tire and you'll hear the pads rubbing on the rotor. In a RWD vehicle, the rotor will deflect somewhat and keep the pads away from rotor contact, or at least not as much pressure.

Took our 2008 Kia knock around car out this morning. I checked the rotor with an infrared thermometer before leaving, 66.4 degrees, drove down the driveway, down the road for about one mile, then up on the highway for 8 miles. Never touched the brakes, stopped the car and checked the rotor temp 119.7 degrees. Continued on our 25 mile trip, mostly highways, but when we arrived at our destination, rotor 201.1 wheel 91.3 degrees.

If you look on wheel cleaners, they will always recommend that they be used on a cool wheel, never one that has been recently driven, too hot.
Are you insinuating I'm a little piggy, Turbonut?? (heh, heh).

If this is correct with FWD cars, of which I was not aware and have no reason to doubt, then I stand corrected and thank you for your input and for setting me staight on it. I have a 440 mile trip coming up in a little over a week, so I'll try to remember to check my wheels and, very carefully, check my brakes.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

As I promised on 9/4/09, I checked my rims and rotors for unusual heat. Here's what I did.

Last Sunday (the 13th), my wife and I headed out for a vacation with the destination being 436 miles away (yes I said 440 as an estimate). The first leg of the trip was 270 miles before the first stop, with the the last 92 miles running at 76 MPH. As soon as I stopped, I checked the rims and the rotors. The outside temperature at the end of this leg was 64 degrees at 8:15am. The rims were cool to the touch (grasp). And the front left rotor was only warm. I could leave my fingers on it for whatever amount of time I wished... it was not at all hot.

So there you have it. High speed driving had little effect on my rotors at all on that morning.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Racer

if you're smelling a burning smell and your wheel is hot, I would check the caliper. A frozen caliper won't release properly, and will sit there riding the rotor and heating up, causing a burning smell, sometimes emitting smoke, and it'll make the wheel itself very hot. Your mileage will also suffer. The fix is to replace or rebuild the caliper. I'm not too sure about modern Hondas, but in the 90's and earlier, if you let a honda sit around for very long without being driven, the calipers tended to freeze up.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
As I promised on 9/4/09, I checked my rims and rotors for unusual heat. Here's what I did.

Last Sunday (the 13th), my wife and I headed out for a vacation with the destination being 436 miles away (yes I said 440 as an estimate). The first leg of the trip was 270 miles before the first stop, with the the last 92 miles running at 76 MPH. As soon as I stopped, I checked the rims and the rotors. The outside temperature at the end of this leg was 64 degrees at 8:15am. The rims were cool to the touch (grasp). And the front left rotor was only warm. I could leave my fingers on it for whatever amount of time I wished... it was not at all hot.

So there you have it. High speed driving had little effect on my rotors at all on that morning.
Guess no burning bacon smell if the rotor was cool enough so that you could keep your finger in contact with the surface.