A whole lot of problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A whole lot of problems...

Just recently, I unplugged my battery to tap into a fuse for power. When I plugged my battery back in and turned my car on, I had a ton of problems. I have never had this happen before. I have unplugged the battery many times. Here's a list of my issues...

-Turn signals do not work, 90% of the time. They work for about 15 seconds after I start the car.
-My headlights will work when the car is started, but they start to flicker if I shut the car off. The high beams and fog lights DO NOT work AT ALL.
-My windshield wipers will only work on HIGH mode.
-My AC does not work, 70% of the time. It will just blow out hot air.
-My door lock switch, on the door, will not work. However, I can put the key inside the door and turn it, to lock them.

Some things that are important to note are that...

-I have a Viper 5902 alarm system installed.
-When my headlights flicker, the LED on the 5902 CPU will go from green to red and start blinking.

I really don't know what is going on. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

Here is a video that shows you some of the problems that I am having...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Kf1-wZlOI
Old 07-07-2011, 07:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Have you removed the tap, and put everything back like it was? As a troubleshooting step?

If it all works, you know it's something with the tap or whatever is drawing power. If it doesn't then you know there is an electrical fault elsewhere.

I'd start (if you haven't) pulling and checking fuses for turn signals, high beams, wipers, door locks, etc. Also, grounds - check and make sure you haven't displaced a ground.

It may be related to the MICU which is somewhere in the driver kick panel, iirc.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Have you removed the tap, and put everything back like it was? As a troubleshooting step?

If it all works, you know it's something with the tap or whatever is drawing power. If it doesn't then you know there is an electrical fault elsewhere.

I'd start (if you haven't) pulling and checking fuses for turn signals, high beams, wipers, door locks, etc. Also, grounds - check and make sure you haven't displaced a ground.

It may be related to the MICU which is somewhere in the driver kick panel, iirc.
Thanks for replying. I have put everything back like it was. The tap is gone. I pulled out all of the fuses under the dash and under the hood. None are blown. What is the MICU?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
You'll have to search MICU. It's some kind of electrical multi-control unit.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think it could be a bad/intermitent ground.

In the areas where you worked, look for common grounds (like the pic below) and make sure they are all in place and secure.

An example of a common ground is just above the "o" in the word "velcro" and another just above and left of that:

Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

2g TL, it is in the driver side fuse box, so a good chance it may be the same on the 3g (but placed lower in the car lol) (btw it's equivalent to the BCM, Body Control Module, on other makes of cars)

also OP what wire did you tap into, cause you may have fryied a computer, when the battery was hooked back up (or some how screwed up the ignition switch, or something along those lines)

also have you tried unplugging the alarm itself also?

edit: another thing, did you rearm and disarm the alarm, when you reconnected the battery, some alarms can go into a tripped mode, when reconnected to power

Last edited by friesm2000; 07-07-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
also OP what wire did you tap into, cause you may have fryied a computer, when the battery was hooked back up (or some how screwed up the ignition switch, or something along those lines)
thats what i was thinking
Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

You'll have to search MICU. It's some kind of electrical multi-control unit.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think it could be a bad/intermitent ground.

In the areas where you worked, look for common grounds (like the pic below) and make sure they are all in place and secure.

An example of a common ground is just above the "o" in the word "velcro" and another just above and left of that:
I checked for a common ground, but I couldn't find one. Thanks for the MICU information, though.

Originally Posted by friesm2000
2g TL, it is in the driver side fuse box, so a good chance it may be the same on the 3g (but placed lower in the car lol) (btw it's equivalent to the BCM, Body Control Module, on other makes of cars)

also have you tried unplugging the alarm itself also?

edit: another thing, did you rearm and disarm the alarm, when you reconnected the battery, some alarms can go into a tripped mode, when reconnected to power
I didn't tap into a wire. It used a kit like this one http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...setap5pack.jpg

I'm going to go try to unplug the alarm now. I think I may have tripped it, like you said.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Cruisin'

Here's a video of the flickering lights. It's effecting the interior lights as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-8jmlOVus
Old 07-07-2011, 09:33 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by steadyspeedin
I checked for a common ground, but I couldn't find one. Thanks for the MICU information, though.

I didn't tap into a wire. It used a kit like this one http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...setap5pack.jpg

I'm going to go try to unplug the alarm now. I think I may have tripped it, like you said.
better in that you can really only blow fuses if anything lol, BUT you do realize that those can screw up the fuse box, when they get removed? they spread the contacts out more then they are suppose to be.... so they are not tight anymore when it gets removed (ie, not full contact, so added resistance in that spot, which can then cause it to melt around that area on the box; i think you might get the idea)

btw something like this would be a better idea:
http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHA...=pd_sim_auto_3

and what fuse did you tap into? and was the new wire/circuit you added fuse protected too? (part of the advantage to the item above, a separate fuse is added immediately after the tap is made)

Last edited by friesm2000; 07-07-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM
B A N N E D

and as far as those interior lights, same as your headlight/running lights
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Cruisin'

PROBLEM SOLVED! It was the alarm! I just unplugged the CPU for now. Thanks to everyone for the help, especially friesm2000. You guys are awesome!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
B A N N E D

aftermarket alarms can cause headaches

next thing would be to plug it back in, and DISARM it with the fob, and see how it goes from there (since when you had connected the battery back up, it had gone into a "tampered" mode)

edit: BUT what you should REALLY do is get that alarm installed PROPERLY (it did not even prevent the car from starting in the first video )

Last edited by friesm2000; 07-07-2011 at 09:51 PM.