White Pearl Diamond Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry White Pearl Diamond Issues

So I just got my 05TL. Traded in a Titanium Gray Mazda 3s. I went for the white TL, everyhting else was just so average. I have had it for a week and I am starting to think my bumper, front and back, is a different color from the rest of the car. I was thinking this was just becouse it was dirty. (car is very hard to keep clean). Even after washing it and making it look show room clean i am still seeing this color difference.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so what is being done if anyhting? I am going to call the dealer and Acura Care on Monday. This is trully unacceptable!
Old 06-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get used to it..most,including myself,say it's not that bad. Acura will tell you that the bumpers are plastic and the rest of the car is metal and that the pearl paint adheres(sp?)to the bumpers differently than the sheet metal. I can live with mine and besides,you might get a better match if they repaint,but you could get a worse job..I'm not willing to take that chance.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Agree with Tom, it's not a defect. It's more noticeable under flourescent lights of ones garage or the canopy of a gas station but other than that, it's not really noticeable unless pointed out. I've never had anyone say to me "hey, your bumpers are different colors than your car". Even my jealous neighbor who picks apart everything I own...hehe.

Even the A-SPEC body kits from Acura and other sources are slightly off. I saw a pic on here somewhere of a a redondo red TL w/A-SPEC body kit and it was quite noticeable.

Must admit, WDP is awesome though...especially in sunny FL.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

some have complained about it enough to the dealer where they have tried to repaint it to match. it's difficult to match pearl paints especially since its the bumpers use a flex agent which might alter the paint color. but nonetheless i think they are responsible for getting it right.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by caball88
some have complained about it enough to the dealer where they have tried to repaint it to match. it's difficult to match pearl paints especially since its the bumpers use a flex agent which might alter the paint color. but nonetheless i think they are responsible for getting it right.

THEY SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE TO GETTING IT PERFECT!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:07 AM
10th Gear

White TL bumper mismatch

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the fact that the bumper on the WDP TL’s doesn’t match the rest of the car is ridiculous. I haven’t talked to Acura or the dealership yet but I would sure like to know what they have to say about it. I went to the Acura place yesterday when they were closed to check out the other WDP TLs. The 3 cars I looked at were only slightly off in color. My car is way off. Have you done anything about your problem yet?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

There is much discussion of this issue in the forum. Search and you'll find out more than you want to know.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:19 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer has a WDP TL in the showroom right now. The other day while waiting for my car to get some service done, I was checking out the "05 TL on the floor. I didn't even notice the difference in color between the bumper and car. The problem might exist on some cars, but this car matched really well. Keep bugging the dealer because they can match the colors as well as the one in the showroom.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Advanced

I have a WDP and there is no difference, but I also have a Nissan where there was always a difference in the plastic painted parts vs. the body and the difference became more pronounced over time (fading). Hope this does not become an issue on the WDP at any point.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:49 AM
10th Gear

I just called my Acura dealership to ask about the bumper mismatch and he said that 90% of the WDP TLs are like that and that there was really nothing they could do. I wasn’t exactly thrilled with that answer. Has any one else’s dealership been a little more helpful?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tennisrun22
I just called my Acura dealership to ask about the bumper mismatch and he said that 90% of the WDP TLs are like that and that there was really nothing they could do. I wasn’t exactly thrilled with that answer. Has any one else’s dealership been a little more helpful?
Most dealers would give the excuse that they cant do anything,blah blah it is suppose to be that way. Crap, I paid 35k for the car and u tell me that u cant match the colors? My side skirt is white, my car body is pearl, and my bumpers are off. Best thing to do is wait for the Acura Rep to come in and show them. Acura reps stops by all the dealerships. They are much more customer oriented. Most likely they will approve the repaint.

There is no excuse for a 35k car to have mismatch color unless it is suppose to be 2 tone. If they say 90% is like that, how can the other 10% is matching when the built is the same?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by btvudoo
...Best thing to do is wait for the Acura Rep to come in and show them. Acura reps stops by all the dealerships. They are much more customer oriented. ...
I've found this to be the case with prior cars (other makes). In many cases the area rep/DM (disitrict manager) can approve lots of things the dealerships can't. Unfortunately many dealerships don't want to involve them since it may make them look bad. I have always taken the approach of "Look, I know you can only authorize so much and I understand that. Can we get the DM in and talk to him ?" When I talk to the DM I compliment the dealer staff.... Can't guarantee results but it has worked better than other people's screaming and yelling
Old 06-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Advanced

Ok, so I have this mismatch as well...the problem is that some STUPID M%therF%$##$ scratched my bumper and it now has a little line and a little bit of chipped paint on the back its probably a 1 cm chipped hole which I have currently filled in with white crayon wax!

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe I could bother the dealer about the mismatch and also get that fixed as a freebie...

I read all the posts and everyone has given suggestions, but I dont see anyone who has actually done it and had results. Can you guys please post if you have been successful or are currently in the progress of attempting to receive a repaint?

I have about 3500 miles on my car, do u think they may say that it is too late to have noticed this?

I would appreciate any responses.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:54 AM
10th Gear

I also have a little over 3,000 on my car. I did notice the mismatch early on but I kept trying to convince myself that it was just me. Now that others can really tell the color difference it makes me that much more aware of the problem. I'm thinking of calling Acura just to see what they say. I also am curious if anyone has actually had their bumper(s) repainted and what were the results. I think the point about 10% of the cars matching is a valid one. I want to be in that 10% after paying that much for a car.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Advanced

I think the point about 10% of the cars matching is a valid one. I want to be in that 10% after paying that much for a car.
Why are u so selfish? How about the rest of us WDP owners????
Old 06-23-2005, 07:46 AM
10th Gear

Selfish, how am I being selfish??? My point is, if Acura can get 10% of the cars painted correctly, why can't they get the rest? I don't think the excuse that most of them have this problem is a valid reason for me or any other owner with this problem to just say okay, I'll just live with it.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Don't buy into to 10% theory. Every single White Diamond Pearl I have seen is off color. Someone has given misinformation.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Advanced

Selfish, how am I being selfish??? My point is, if Acura can get 10% of the cars painted correctly, why can't they get the rest? I don't think the excuse that most of them have this problem is a valid reason for me or any other owner with this problem to just say okay, I'll just live with it.

lol i was only joikin with ya. Anyway, we should start a petition for WDP owners. WDP owners should unite and show Acura that they need to get our cars back in and repaint them. Anyone want to start one?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Advanced

Im all for it lets go lets do it...some one needs to write a formal letter...and all the complainees can add their names and vin numbers and that way we might be on to something....

keep me posted
Old 06-24-2005, 02:00 AM
Cruisin'

i have one of those and certain parts of the body look different from the rest. even when i get it washed and waxed, the next day the color is already weird...the dust, with the wind, i think, somehow collects in a certain way at certain places and i'm just telling myself it is due to the design of the car. so i use my duster to keep it shiny and one-tone. dunno if this makes you feel any better but...
Old 06-24-2005, 03:27 PM
10th Gear

I'll all for a petition. I would definitely put my VIN and name on it. I do believe that some of the bumpers match a lot better than others. Maybe that's the 10% the acura guy was talking about.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool paint mismatch

I don't have a TL yet...... trying to decide if I should trade in my wife's 2002 Lexus ES300 on an '05 Satin Silver TL/Nav. The Lexus' color is Alabaster, sort of a pearl color but not pearl white. Every panel on that car matches perfectly BUT I drive an '04 S2000, Silverstone in color and the front bumper does not match the hood.

Again, like the WDP it is really noticable under flourescent lights. Since noticing it on my car I have looked at many other Silverstone S2000's and they are the same. I even had a guy send me a picture of his over email. He claimed his was perfect. It wasn't. Looked just like mine!

Honda/Acura has got a real problem matching certan body panels on certain colors. When we were at the Acura dealer the other night and were leaving the HID headlights of our Lexus were shining on the row of TLs and the WDPs that were there had tan looking bumpers! The Satin Silvers looked ok.....go figure.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Racer

Yeah, the bumpers on the WDP do look tan. Acura is never ever going to get anywhere near Lexus in quality and class if it doesnt get these damn bumpers looking respectable. As far as Im concerned, every mismatched WDF TL on the road is a rolling joke.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by romotl

So I just got my 05TL. Traded in a Titanium Gray Mazda 3s. I went for the white TL, everyhting else was just so average. I have had it for a week and I am starting to think my bumper, front and back, is a different color from the rest of the car. I was thinking this was just becouse it was dirty. (car is very hard to keep clean). Even after washing it and making it look show room clean i am still seeing this color difference.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so what is being done if anyhting? I am going to call the dealer and Acura Care on Monday. This is trully unacceptable!
I think all car manufacturers seem to have this problem. I noticed this on the Toyotas right away. I drive Anthracite color with black interior. This car takes me longer to wash it than my 1992 Legend. Dust seems to stick to it more easily and so seems to get dirty faster. My car tends to look dusty but can't do anything about it because it's a dark color. I assume you chose Pearl White to minimize the visible dust. The paint on this car is not that great compared to earlier cars. It's most likely because it's a water based paint. Not as durable as the lead paint. I suggest that you don't concern yourself so much about this issue unless you want to go out and have it repainted at a paint shop. Drive it until you've had enough of this model and move on with another machine.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:37 PM
Advanced

Come on People who is with me on the petition...I need to know if I am going this alone or not...So far I've had one follower, is that all?
Old 07-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Love to have a TL

so getting a white TL is a bad idea?
Old 07-04-2005, 07:01 AM
Love to have a TL

rite
Old 07-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Getting a WDP isn't a bad idea. You just have to find one that does not have an objectionable looking bumper.
I was at the dealership yesterday and saw a WDP/Parchment with the "chromed" 17" factory wheels(not the 18" A-Spec wheels). The bumper mis-match was very slight and I can tell you that car was stunning!
BTW, the car came in with those wheels on it. The dealer only offers the 18" A-Spec wheels and another lacy looking Acura wheel as dealer installed option. Is it possible to purchase the "chromed " 17" wheels anywhere?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:48 AM
Cruisin'

I have the wheels also. I paid an extra $1000.00 for them, but with WDP it is a must. The car is sweet looking with them on

Old 07-25-2005, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

It isn't a big deal. I wanted the Anthracite at first until I actually went to dealers. The WDP makes the Anthracite look blah.

I can tell my rear bumper is slightly darker in color but it isn't a big deaL.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Racer

I noticed an Audi S4 (brand new) next to me today that was silver and had the same issue with a slightly different color.

BFD, I say. It's barely noticable.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Cruisin'

well, i really like my WDP colour. and there is an SC430 parked next to me at my work every day, and i noticed slight difference in colour (and that one is one of those pearly white colour, too) with that car as well...so it's not a big deal to me!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:22 AM
6th Gear

I have not noticed any difference whatsoever in my WDP '05 at all...but I wear glasses. so that might make a difference...lol.

I will say though that I went to the dealership with my daughter who was thinking about buying a '03 TL and saw a '04 WDP and the difference in the bumper and the rest of the car could be seen even by a blind man. It was absolutely terrible.

I was thinking that there had been some damage to the car and whoever painted it, didn't do a very good job, but I really don't know.

BTW, I absolutely love the WDP....that, the gold emblems, the wood grain and parchment interior are a match made in heaven. Although I don't have much of a problem with dirt, it hides the dust much better than the previous black car that I had.

I don't drive mine if there is even a slight chance of rain...if avoidable... and have no plans to drive it in the terrible winter weather that I have to deal with...I drive my other car for that!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Cruisin'

I am sorry but the gold emblems look bad i think...

Anyways NIKI from Customer Service called me. Everyone should call her and bug her about this issue. She told me she has never heard of such problem and i told her BS> look online and talk to other WDP TL owners. There are a lot of mad people out there.

So here is her fix so far. She has set up a time with me, my dealer and the DM for this area to meet at the dealer and go over my car here soon. We will see what happends at that time.

As for now i would tell everyone to call this 800 # and ask for Niki or any CSR there and explain your problem and pains about the paint.

Acura Client Services
Acura Client Services stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Acura vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 382-2238

thank you
Old 07-28-2005, 03:26 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by romotl
I am sorry but the gold emblems look bad i think...
No need to be sorry...as I said, the gold fits perfectly with the parchment and woodgrain...it is a matter of taste I guess.

Just curious...what looks so bad about the gold emblems? IMO, it all depends on interior color, etc.

OK...I guess we should stick with the main issue of bumper problems, I suppose but I just had to respond to your "gold emblems look bad" quote.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Cruisin'

It is tottaly a matter of taste. I actually have the white, woodgrain, parchment also. I just think it look strange becouse most of the mettal trim on the car is brushed aluminum. I guess I have the same issue with RIMS... I HATE after market rims. Looks like shit. If you don't like the car the way it looks why would you buy it?

Anyways...

I would like to have everyone call the # below and express their pain about the paint please.

Acura Client Services
Acura Client Services stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Acura vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 382-2238
Old 07-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just called too. I am going to talk to the Service Manager and the DM too. My bumpers look different depending upon the angle and the amount of light. Sometimes they will look perfect, sometimes it's pretty bad. It's still a great car. The best I have ever owned. I have been checking out other white cars on the freeway and almost all have some sort of paint mismatch. But for a 30K plus car it should be a little better. They could have done a better job.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Cruisin'

Just posted about this. I am really dissappointed in the fact my car looks two tone! Unacceptable on any new car!

Has anyone had resolution with a dealer on this yet?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Cruisin'

LIKE I SAID... CALL THE DAMN 800 # and let them know. They keep telling me that they know nothing about this issue. Let them know and they will get your DM involved. The DM will be the person to make the Fix if there ever is one. I have seen new bumbers, repaint which would be more coats.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Advanced

So I just got off the phone with Acura Corporate...I spoke to Leon...

I explained the annoying mismatch in the bumper paint and the recent bubbles of paint that I had noticed on my car. He told me to go to a dealer and get my car inspected and then ASK for the schedule of the district manager. He said that they did not have this information...
I explained to him that others were getting appointments setup with their district managers and now you are telling me that I have to find this guy? Thats as good as an offer that I got. I then called my dealer and was told that I would get a call back with the date of the DM's next visit...

Help me ppl!! These guys are not taking me seriously. Also, my dealer said that I should get my car waxed and it might fix the pain bubbles...WTF? I have to go a get a detailing job in a 3 month old car just bc their paint is CHEAP? F' that...I am going to annoy the crap out of these ppl...they have no idea who they messed with...

Ill keep you guys posted

Quick Reply: White Pearl Diamond Issues