Weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise

Hey, about two weeks ago I dropped off my car, an 04 TL, at Morande Acura to get the recalls taken care of and some other minor issues. One of the recalls was the hose for the power steering. Within a week of this when i start my car in the morning it makes a weird noise near the power steering belt, the noise is similar to Ford vehicles make when they turn the steering. The noise gets louder when I turn the steering wheel left and right. The weird part is it only does this in the morning and it last about five minutes! Does anyone know what this could be? Can it possibly have anything to do with the recall work they did on my vehicle? I am dropping off the car at the dealer on Thurs to get it checked out but was wondering if anyone had this problem before?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
is it like a noise of air rushing? It could be a sign of a bad power steering pump...
Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idk I haven't experienced any problems in performance
Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I say you have air in your steering system....

Start the car, as fast as you can, turn the wheel all the way to your right, hold it for 1 sec, and now all the way to your left, hold for 1 sec...do this a few times, this should expell air from the line... If this persists, check the hose, it maybe be loose or clamped poorly.

You can also check just by moving the hose, the sound will change if it is air in the line. This is no biggy... a power steering flush is a 5 minute thing that you can do yourself.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have just started experiencing the same power steering sound in the early morning when the car is cold. Last few mornings have been around 4-5 degrees (Celcius) here in Toronto.

I have had the same experience with most of my previous cars (imports and domestics) and it only occurs in the cold. I have always assumed it is normal - fluid is cold and needs to warm up and circulate through the steering system. I just take care to not make any sudden turns and avoid turning the wheel to its maximum position.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic - I'd like to know if there is any cause for concern or if it is in fact normal???
Old 10-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Hello - anyone out there who can advise?

The noise is there every morning now that the overnight temperatures have been in the single digits (celcius). Does anyone else experience the same noise? I'd really like to know if I should be concerned. BTW, I have an 04 TL with manual transmission.

On a related topic I recently received a notice from my dealer that my car may not have had all the recalls done to it. One of which is the power steering hose. I am worried about taking it in because other Acurazine members have commented on experiencing more problems after the service than before.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by djwoody
The noise is there every morning now that the overnight temperatures have been in the single digits (celcius). Does anyone else experience the same noise? I'd really like to know if I should be concerned. BTW, I have an 04 TL with manual transmission.

On a related topic I recently received a notice from my dealer that my car may not have had all the recalls done to it. One of which is the power steering hose. I am worried about taking it in because other Acurazine members have commented on experiencing more problems after the service than before.
Thousands of us got the steering pump hose done without any problems, so get it done before you have an engine fire!

Have the dealership also look at/listen to your PS pump too, as your description fits that of PS pump failure that a few members have experienced.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Yeah, I guess I should go get it done. A fire would not be pleasant and steering failure could be even worse! Thanks for the advice Will Y.

Ya know I picked up the car in the summer from an Acura dealer - it was an "Acura Certified Performance Preowned vehicle". You'd think they would make sure it had all recall work done to it before selling it???