Vibration after fr and right motor mounts installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Vibration after fr and right motor mounts installed

Hey everyone, like the title says I just did my motor mounts by myself, and under the supervision of my uncle who let me use his mechanic shop to get them done.

After all was said and done, i went home and when I'm at an intersection, my car idles, it vibrates(not hard, but subtle and noticeable)

So my question is this a normal characteristic of new motor mounts being installed? I got this car about 2 mos. ago and got it inspected at the acura dealer and that was one of the things on the list of repairs, 2 motor mounts FR and Right.

Second,

Another was a bent wheel, are Replica wheels any good, dealer wants $450 total for wheel w/chrome plating. I am not going to pay that much for 1 wheel. Or refurbished wheels, sorry if its been asked googled it and found old threads that didnt really go into much detail

Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MandoTL
Hey everyone, like the title says I just did my motor mounts by myself, and under the supervision of my uncle who let me use his mechanic shop to get them done.

After all was said and done, i went home and when I'm at an intersection, my car idles, it vibrates(not hard, but subtle and noticeable)

So my question is this a normal characteristic of new motor mounts being installed? I got this car about 2 mos. ago and got it inspected at the acura dealer and that was one of the things on the list of repairs, 2 motor mounts FR and Right.

Second,

Another was a bent wheel, are Replica wheels any good, dealer wants $450 total for wheel w/chrome plating. I am not going to pay that much for 1 wheel. Or refurbished wheels, sorry if its been asked googled it and found old threads that didnt really go into much detail

Thanks
maybe the other mounts are not perfect either. I would have changed all of them...
Old 07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

^Really because prior to ordering the two motor mounts my uncles inspected them just to make sure, and we tested them. He said yes your front and right side motor mounts are out, looked at the rear no major movements, and nothing wrong with them.

I was debating if I should get the rear one also and possibly the transmission mounts but he said dnt bother they are fine and if the dealer didnt mention it in the list, you should be fine.

I will give them a week and see if the idling improves and if not then i will need to buy the rear mount.

Bukvaman, by any chance can you tell me if replica wheels any good, no shops around where I live that sell them or can bother to fix the 1 wheel since its bent in the center not the lip like normal bent wheels?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
OE or aftermarket? If OE check number and if aftermarket it could be that the rubber is not as forgiving as the OE assembly and the vibration is transmitted to the body. If OE, make certain that the insulator was installed correctly, but in vehicles that a "competition" mount for the engine and/or trans is installed, they will rattle your teeth when at idle.

Last edited by Turbonut; 07-15-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I believe they are going to be aftermarket since my uncle knows a supplier who sells them and ordered them, my uncle is old fashioned so he doesnt look into part number just for the name. Well when I took the old ones out and compared to the new ones they looked exactly the same.

Ummm I'm no mechanic so care to explain what the insulator is. I think my uncle mentioned something like OES Genuine brand or something.

Ex: of what they look like.

LInk(I didnt buy these, just for show):

http://http://www.partsgeek.com/cata...ine_mount.html
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by MandoTL
Ummm I'm no mechanic so care to explain what the insulator is. I think my uncle mentioned something like OES Genuine brand or something.
Insulator is nothing more than a high class term for the rubber part of the mount. The aftermarket may look the same but maybe the rubber is stifffer, hence the vibration. Just a thought. I know the M/T mounts are different, but am not certain as to the compatability to the A/T chassis and difference in the rubber.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh damn, I guess I will have to see how the break in period for the motor mounts goes in the coming week, if they can be broken into. the reason he ordered them through the supplier in LA was he would get a discount on them which helps me out since I'm still in college.

So I just hope the vibrations go away after the rubber "insulator" is broken into.

Any advice on replica wheels? Are they any good?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:13 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
ok, try this. put your car in reverse and see if theres still vibration. if the vibration is significantly less in reverse, then its your rear mount that is bad for sure. if the vibration is the same in reverse, then it might be an error during installation. did you remember to put the vacuum hose on bottom of the front mount? the front motor mount is actively controlled through vacuum pressure and requires the hose to be connected to function properly.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Okay Ill try it i guess the 2 mos. that the front and right motor mounts were out the rear mount took the toll on the engine movement. Ill try that out today.

And wen I installed the front motor mount yes I did put the vaccum hose on, it was a bit of a pain to get off but through slight pressure and patience it pulled off and wen the new one was installed I reused it and put it back in.

Very new to mechanic stuff. I just need to learn so I can avoid going to shops or dealer for basic maintenance.