Using the extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
Using the extended warranty?

Hey guys, I have this funky, loose sounding squeak coming from the rear suspension. Only happens when on rough road or when I hit an abrupt bump (think small speed bump size). I replaced both rear sway bar links this past weekend with Moog links but the noise is still there. The car still rides quite well, I just cant stand noises like this.
Now.... I did purchase the platinum bumper to bumper warranty when I bought the car, paperwork says it covers pretty much everything...

Should I just take the car in and pay the $100 deductible on my warranty to get the squeak fixed, or should I try to lube some fo the bushings?

Anyone have experience using a used car warranty for similar repairs? In addition, any idea how many things would they be able to replace at one visit under the same $100 deductible? There are a few other things I would like to have looked at as well. Will they look the whole car over if I ask? Would that cost extra?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
It's tricky. If what they find to be wrong is not considered to be covered under warranty, you must pay a diagnostics fee. If it is under warranty, they do not charge the diagnostics fee, but of course you need to pay that deductible.

I'm not sure, but I think the deductible only needs to be met once. I just got my car back last week from some warranty work. I came in with multiple problems, but they only fixed one of them claiming they couldn't reproduce the others. Surprise surprise one of the problems came back in a matter of a few hours. I'm bringing it back on Wednesday and will show them the problem myself. If they try to charge me the deductible for the second visit, I'll be sure to have a nice sit-down with the service manager. I'll report back and let you know about how the deductible works with multiple issues.

As a guy that works on his own car, a third party service contract is easily the dumbest thing I've ever spent so much money on.
The following users liked this post:
JuicyLarry (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
It's tricky. If what they find to be wrong is not considered to be covered under warranty, you must pay a diagnostics fee. If it is under warranty, they do not charge the diagnostics fee, but of course you need to pay that deductible.

I'm not sure, but I think the deductible only needs to be met once. I just got my car back last week from some warranty work. I came in with multiple problems, but they only fixed one of them claiming they couldn't reproduce the others. Surprise surprise one of the problems came back in a matter of a few hours. I'm bringing it back on Wednesday and will show them the problem myself. If they try to charge me the deductible for the second visit, I'll be sure to have a nice sit-down with the service manager. I'll report back and let you know about how the deductible works with multiple issues.

As a guy that works on his own car, a third party service contract is easily the dumbest thing I've ever spent so much money on.
Thanks man, thats exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. Please do let me know how it goes on Wednesday.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Do you know who administers your service contract? Mine says "The Mechanic" and it also has a "Platinum Coverage" option with $100 deductible. I'm wondering if we have the same one.

Warning: [rant] But seriously though, fu## dealerships that don't sell the same brand service contracts as the cars that they sell. I didn't know anything about this two years ago, but this is some shady business. If they cared at all about serving their customers at all (and their service advisers!), they would be selling Acura warranties. I feel guilty that my adviser has to spend 30 minutes on hold just to get a claim approved, not to mention the service department looses money from these claims (compared to Acura warranty claims) so they are much less inclined to actually do the work. These selfish pricks don't stand behind their brand and that pisses me off because their customers and colleagues end up getting screwed over. Whatever, there are hundreds of warranty rants on this site, add mine to the list.[/rant]

P.S. I went to MSOE. Milwaukee is like my second home.
The following users liked this post:
JuicyLarry (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Very cool! I used to live right across the street from MSOE, in the old Blatz Brewery. Love this town

Im not exactly sure who the warranty is through, I think its something like "easy care" or something sounding like that. I'll find out when I get home this evening.
Im actually kind of worried about this warranty now though. Do people have a lot of problems with these types of warranties? Wondering if the stealerships are going to give me crap for having a non Acura brand warranty? I do know it is only good if used at certified Acura shops. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I scheduled an appointment for next week monday, getting a loaner car as well. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!