Urgent help needed! First smoke behind the hood and now car is dead...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Urgent help needed! First smoke behind the hood and now car is dead...

Hi,

Yesterday, I saw a puff of smoke coming from where the hood meets the windshield, driver's side. Also, my car smelled horrible...like a burning smell. I searched and came to the conclusion that the power steering hose (recall already done) was leaking fluid.

So I stopped driving it and called my dealer. I have an appointment for tomorrow morning at 7:30.

However, I needed to get something out of it today and it wouldn't even unlock! The car is completely dead...when I turn the key, nothing at all happens. Not even the usual dead battery-trying-to-turn-over-but-can't thing. No lights, nothing.

I have an aftermarket remote starter installed, if that makes any difference, but I never really use it.

I popped the hood yesterday and heard some sizzling noise. I thought it might be the fluid...but it was coming from around the front... drivers side of the engine, near the battery.

There has been a lot of rain here recently...think some water got in?

Also, recently, the car has shown signs of a longer turnover. I searched and saw that it was normal. I just simply started turning off the radio, lights, etc before leaving, so it wouldn't have excess strain on it when I did return and tried to start it.

Please try to reply if you can...I've got a very small amount of time to sort this out.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought, but have u tried using ur regular key? i know that when u install a aftermarket auto start, u need the valet key or a copy of the original key. try using the original key and see if it works.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe there was a recall for this. search around for power steering hose recall or something like that. acura should have done this recall for you a while back.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
A couple of things come to mind:

It's possible your battery shorted out and is now completely dead. How old is the battery? You should have it tested.

I don't know if TLs have a fuseable link, but if so, it's possible that a battery or electrical short blew the fuseable link.

The puff of smoke could have been caused by the power steering hose. Have you had the power steering TSB done? You don't say what year your TL is. The TSB may be N/A.

The dealer or Acura Roadside Assistance should give you a free tow to the dealer. ARA may test and replace the battery, I don't know the limits of their support.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Racer

@ itsnickONG - he didn't use any of the keys. It seems to be working well, like the one time I actually used it.

I did use an original key to manually unlock the door.

@ 6spdtl-s - the recall has already been done by the previous owner. I bought this car used at 89k miles and have 93k now (it has been ONLY a couple of months...). I checked with the Acura owners' website where you register and it displayed the hose recall having been performed.

I just figured since its higher mileage that it happened again...although the puff of smoke could've come from the battery?

@ nfnsquared - I have no clue how old the battery is...it IS a Delco and from what I've read on this forum, OEM Acura batteries are epic fails. It was fine, then nothing this morning.

My car is an 06 non-navi 5AT. As far as I know, this is probably the original battery.

I'm really not sure where the white smoke was coming from...it did smell like burning, so it could be the battery drying out and smoking or fluid leaking on to the exhaust manifold.

I'd really just like to get it started now...I'm thinking about getting ARA to jump it, then go to Pepboys and get a new battery installed. Hopefully no more smoke + burnt smell.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Racer

HEY! Update - I skipped my evening class (whoops) and came home to try to jump it with my dad's car. No luck, but at least the doors were unlockable and the lights turned on.

Then I bought a Bosch something or the other from Pepboys. They didn't have an Optima. I installed it literally 10 minutes ago, in the dark, and she fired right up! The interior lights were definitely brighter than with the old Delco.

Anyway, when I was installing it, I noticed that the positive wire wouldn't quite reach, so I had to take it out of its holster in the front and fidget with till it reached. The old batter had the terminals towards the airbox, and this one has them right in the middle of the battery. It hooked up fine, but the wire is a bit bent where the red cap meets the black wire.

So my question is...will this little kink snap the wire or something? I don't think it should...I mean, it's just plastic.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can multi-quote people by clicking the button to the right of the 'quote' button.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
you can multi-quote people by clicking the button to the right of the 'quote' button.
Lol, thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Watch out it is possible something else is also happening. Cuz smoke doesn't make sense if it was just the battery well actually it depends on how much smoke, what year is it cuz my 02 is fine but 2 of my friends have 03's with electrical problems. It could be your alternator if the car is dead again in a couple of days you'll know its the alternator.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KatabaticSaint
Watch out it is possible something else is also happening. Cuz smoke doesn't make sense if it was just the battery well actually it depends on how much smoke, what year is it cuz my 02 is fine but 2 of my friends have 03's with electrical problems. It could be your alternator if the car is dead again in a couple of days you'll know its the alternator.
It is fine now...I went to Autozone and had them do the free testing...battery is fine and so is the alternator.

I'm updating with the conclusion so if people search in the future, they can see that white smoke can also be from the battery. I started out thinking it was the power steering hose, but it was just the old Delco battery!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Well thats good!