unimpresed

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unimpresed

just purchased a new '06 tl. when compared to my '03 accord, 3.0l v-6, the acceleration is very under-whelming. anyone know the basic reason for this? gearing? everything else has been great.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

Did you floor it and go pass 4k on the rpm? I drove the Accords before and my TL accelerates much stronger and harder.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Racer

I always find a criticism like this to be very interesting. Did you not test drive the car ? One test drive would have answered any questions about the "under-whleming" acceleration. (For the record I think the acceleration is extremely good) I'm not trying to it just seems to me that test drives of cars would reveal most any issue you might have with the car.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm unimpressed by the 3G 5AT's acceleration. But it doesn't mean it's not quick.

I think part of the reason is due to the throttle-by-wire system. With electronic throttle control systems, throttle input is more enhanced and smoothed out from the moment you push the pedal to when you feel the acceleration through your butt-dyno. There's just less of that surge of acceleration with traditional cable-type throttle control.

Now with the 6MT, there's an extra gear to play with, meaning with the same amount of power, you can accelerate faster. Plus there's less transfer loss because of the clutch, compared to the fluid-driven automatic transmissions.

Bottom line, I think the 3G 5AT has become civilized for housewife duty. Kidding, kidding, but you know what I mean.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe you just drive like an old lady?

You will be hard pressed to find ANY Accord that's going to beat me off the line...

Having said that, I like the Accords...