Unable to turn off engine and remove key in one motion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unable to turn off engine and remove key in one motion

So here's a problem I've been noticing. I cannot turn off the engine and remove the key all in one motion. I'm forced to turn the key to the "I" position (used to turn the radio on), push in the key, turn it to the "off" position and take it out of the ignition. Is this normal? I can't just simply turn off the engine and take the key out in one motion. Any inputs?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Just checked my 06 mt (could be different for at?).
If I just turn the key, it stops at I and then you have to push it in to turn it to 0 and remove it.
Out of habit, I must have been always pushing in when I start turning from II. When I do that, it lets me turn it all the way to 0 and remove it.
I hope this was useful...
Mike
Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its a safety feature so your deranged passenger cannot rip the key out
Old 04-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandynmike
Just checked my 06 mt (could be different for at?).
If I just turn the key, it stops at I and then you have to push it in to turn it to 0 and remove it.
Out of habit, I must have been always pushing in when I start turning from II. When I do that, it lets me turn it all the way to 0 and remove it.
I hope this was useful...
Mike
I tried that, but it still doesn't allow me to go all the way to "0". I sort of get stuck on "I". I'm really beginning to believe there's something wrong. I think the dealer somehow mess it up. I did take it in for a steering wheel column rattle and ever since I've been noticing this problem.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
I tried that, but it still doesn't allow me to go all the way to "0". I sort of get stuck on "I". I'm really beginning to believe there's something wrong. I think the dealer somehow mess it up. I did take it in for a steering wheel column rattle and ever since I've been noticing this problem.
It worked OK before that?
It's very possible that it didn't get back together quite right.
Mike
Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The ignition on this car is simple. Really isn't much that can go wrong. I work on them on a regular basis and all Honda/Acura ignitions require you to push the key in to turn it to the off position. You may need to lubricate your ignition if it doesn't feel like one fluid motion as it once did. It's a quick and simple fix. My personal preference on a lubricant is Tri-flow (get it at home depot). Or you can use WD-40 which is what I use on all of my customers cars. Tri-flow lasts longer and I have to buy it so I tend to use it on the High security locks and spare it where as WD-40 I get it free whenever I need it.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I install remote starters on cars in my spare time (hobby) and i've encountered this problem when re-assembling the steering column shroud -- there is a metal latch on the back side of the key cylinder that can get compressed by wiring looming when putting the shroud back on , and this will cause your exact problem -- it sometimes gets to a point that it doesn't all the key to even come out, 'specially on newer Nissans in my experience.

Have the dealership remove the shroud, and re-install it keeping close eyes on wire looming not to get tucked into the key cylinder.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I install remote starters on cars in my spare time (hobby) and i've encountered this problem when re-assembling the steering column shroud -- there is a metal latch on the back side of the key cylinder that can get compressed by wiring looming when putting the shroud back on , and this will cause your exact problem -- it sometimes gets to a point that it doesn't all the key to even come out, 'specially on newer Nissans in my experience.

Have the dealership remove the shroud, and re-install it keeping close eyes on wire looming not to get tucked into the key cylinder.
Yeah, I figured those guys probably messed it up. I'm definitely going to take it back for them to fix it. For the steering wheel column rattle, they put grease in there. I wonder if that's contributing to the problem as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

You are talking about where the solenoid is connected. Yeah this would only be on the auto's and it just prevents the key being removed while the vehicle is in gear. I have personally never had an issue with the wire loom causing this problem and I have removed and installed several of these ignitions (Locksmith and Auto work is my specialty). However, I guess I could see where this may cause an issue.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned

Turns out it was a mistake on my part. I wasn't pushing in on the key hard enough to be able to turn it all the way to the "off" position...that's why it was getting stuck half way. I happy it works just fine.