Unable to Perform Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unable to Perform Alignment

Okay so, I'm gonna say that this started on new year's eve. I was driving diagonally across an empty snow covered parking lot heading toward the exit when I slammed a curb going about 25mph. I didn't see it because like the parking lot, it was covered in snow and blended in. So naturally, the TPMS comes up, indicating that I blew out my front right tire.

Had it replaced two days after (nobody was open on new year's day).

Fast Forward a month and a half:

I'd been driving around for about a month and noticed that the car pulls to the right when I drive (kinda expected considering what I did to it). So I took it today to the local tire shop to get an alignment.

The issue:

The guy comes out of the garage and says "Someone definitely hit something" (No S**t) and said he was unable to align the car because while the camber is technically within spec, it is not perfect and the computer gave him no direction on how to fix it (or something to that effect). He recommended taking it back to the Acura dealer or to a body shop to fix it.

What exactly would they do? Pull the frame or something? What did I break/bend?

I feel like such an idiot about this whole thing...
Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Instructor

This happened to me about a month ago, and I noticed something was bent for sure because the front left wheel setback about a 1 1/2 inches closer to the back of the wheel well.

I had to take it to a body shop that does laser alignments and they had to pull something with their frame repair equipment. I asked if the frame was bent and they said no but still had to pull something back to get the alignment corrected.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
did he print out a specs sheet? If so can you post it. Also check the front right suspension area, just see if anything looks bent or odd.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
did he print out a specs sheet? If so can you post it. Also check the front right suspension area, just see if anything looks bent or odd.
The guy kept the computer print put because he advised me to go to Acura and play it off as if i was "never there." i guess ill be getting something replaced under warranty...
Old 02-14-2009, 07:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
There is no Camber adjustment on these cars. No Rear Caster either.

Tell them to get the Toe and Front Caster and it's done. If the camber is Green or very close, it's fine.

If they don't know this (and their system does not tell them), I gotta question their competence.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
some of these guys are trained on the new laser computer systems and have no direction/thought of their own..
oh no its past neg 1 camber- its red!!!-- you need camber kits!
ptttt set the toe and let it go (applies only to lowered cars for this discussion)

Acura is going to see it hit something and no warranty on whatever part may be bent like a control arm or tie rod end most likely- the tech couldnt even tell you???

Go to a shop with a standard older style alignment machine- not the laser alignment, and older guys working there
A good tech can make things work- assuming no bad parts. If bad parts, they can tell you which ones and replace them for you

Camber is the tires angle relative to vertical- critical to have the correct angle road contact and corner turn-in quality of the car

I defer to gen3 gurus on whats adjustable on your years
my gen2 only the toe can be set stock- camber kits are available for lowered cars as that pushes the camber too far negative
Old 02-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
There is no Camber adjustment on these cars. No Rear Caster either.

Tell them to get the Toe and Front Caster and it's done. If the camber is Green or very close, it's fine.

If they don't know this (and their system does not tell them), I gotta question their competence.

It was all green, and he said i could probably live with it and not ruin my tires... i just hate that i can change lanes without my hands on the steering wheel
Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Instructor

ooops, quoted the wrong thing^^^ i meant to quote 01tl4tl
Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Either, way, the alignment guy is still wrong. He should know there is no Camber adjustment - not wonder why the computer doesn't tell him how to fix it.

Here's the thing:

- 1st insure no bent/damaged parts. If there are, replace them.
- If not (or after replacement), get an alignment. Get the Toe dialed in tight and the Front Caster in spec.
- If the Camber is out a little, no big deal.

Car should track just fine. If the alignment says "good" for Toe & Front Caster and the Camber is close and it STILL pulls to one side, something is bent or broke and was over-looked in "step 1".
The following users liked this post:
YeuEmMaiMai (12-27-2014)
Old 02-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Instructor

thanks a lot, ill make an appointment at the dealer for next weekend
Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by BlacuraTLTYPES27
The guy kept the computer print put because he advised me to go to Acura and play it off as if i was "never there." i guess ill be getting something replaced under warranty...
Yeah, that's good. Some clueless A-hole advising you to lie. Hope you own up to your mistake and pay for it yourself.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Intermediate

The dealer is going to know that you hit something, largely because there WILL be bent parts. We have been doing a fair amount of "curb shots" this year, and you have bent something just about for sure. These cars do not hold up well to impacts. It bothers me also that you clearly do not have a warranty issue, but are still willing to TRY to pull one over on the dealer. Also just for the record alignments are only covered for the first 12mo/12k miles of the warranty. If they do anything for you under warranty, which the shouldn't, as this is obviously not a defect in parts or workmanship then the TL owners that come after you will get to pay for it by the increased cost of their vehicle. As my Acura red says "it's a WARRANTY against defects NOT a GUARANTEE that nothing can damage your car"
YeuEmMaiMai (12-27-2014)
Old 02-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol. Yea....."Sir, we have found that this part was bent from factory, so we must replace it free of charge. Also, it's about time for an oil change, so we'll throw that in as well for the trouble we've caused."

Old 02-15-2009, 04:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
cars that dont track straight but are in the green? something seriously wrong with the car and the tech~
Go to firestone if you have to- but get a 2nd opinion and actual repair
If its in the green it should drive perfect- thats why its in the green
stupid computers~
Go to a regular alignment machine shop as I said before- a place that adjust by knowledge not computer instruction
Old 02-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
cars that dont track straight but are in the green? something seriously wrong with the car and the tech~
While I agree that something is wrong with this guys car, it is possible to be "in the green" and still have a pull or drift. Those ranges can be pretty wide and still be technically within spec and still have a pull. For instance in this guys case if the right side was at the high end of the spectrum for positive camber and the left side was at the low end for negative camber the car will pull or drift right and still be "in the green" Now as to what you said about going to a shop where the guy knows something about alignments, not just do what the machine says, I agree 100%. But the bottom line is, based on my experience with these cars if this guy did what he said he did then something is FOR SURE bent.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh please. I would pick you off the second your car was up in the air and then would inform you to contact your insurance company cuz I have done jobs over 5 grand for simple curb shots. Dont plan on getting it covered under warranty.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey i am an ase certified advanced level technician, from what you are talking about your car it does not have camber or caster adjustment. you was saying your car pull to the right this are the possible problem that it could be either you bent the inner or tie rod, the spindle or the lower control. pulling has to mainly do with lower control arm. about your camber is off either the spindle or the upper control arm is bent but sometime it can be the hub bearing but rarely. if none of these is the case then only thing left it can be is you body frame or your subframe. you need to go to a mechanic that's specialize in alignment and suspension to check this out for you.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
curb slam

Ok, this happened to me Nov 18th. I had 5500$ worth of damage from hitting a curb. Totally covered under insurance. My car too wouldnt align after replacing most of the parts on the right front of the suspension. They had to go one step further and replace the engine cradle which was bent. The car is like new again im happy to say. I would believe the guys who checked your alignment, its very possible you have damage that has not been dealt with.
csmeance (12-27-2014)