Truly weird CD player (navi) problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007 | 06:52 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Truly weird CD player (navi) problem

2004 TL w/NAVI 51,000km (past my 3 year warranty)

So i was driving to work this morning, listening to my favorite radio channel when i decided to put it on DVD/CD mode by pressing the mode button on the steering wheel.

the screen above the navi indicated that its now on CD mode and was on CD 4... But it couldnt get to the track. So it just stayed there sayings its on CD 4 but had for whatever the reason it didnt play the track.... Then i got a "Audio off" text displayed on the NAVI screen.

Now, i cant get the cd player to work at all. The eject/load buttons work, but thats it - and it can eject cd's if i ask it to. When i turn off the car and turn it back on, i get the same problem. If i turn off the car and turn it back on, i can listen to AM/FM radio no problems, but the second i change modes to go to CD/DVD it fails to start playing any CD's and ultimetly displayes the "AUDIO OFF" text. Which then i cannot even get the AUDIO to work at all, not even the AM/FM.

Anyone know what might of caused this? I ejected all the CD's out and tried putting just 1 but again, exact same problem.

Any takers? Any guesses?
Old 10-03-2007 | 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

probably something on the CD mesed up the laser, try using a laser cleaning disk if you want to do it yourself, or take it to acura, should be under warranty.
Old 10-04-2007 | 08:53 AM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Its not under warranty i think Im going to buy a laser cleaning disk. Hopefully the disk will turn once i load it in (i assume the laser cleaning disk has to turn/spin in order to clean up?).
Old 10-04-2007 | 12:07 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Nope - didnt do a thing. I went and got a Lens cleaner disk and i popped it in. From what i could tell it didnt even play the disk in order to clean the lens. I just heard it spinning inside the cd/dvd -s player

Anyone know what else i can try? I now get a "Disk Err" message when inserting a disk. Navi tries to play the disk, and about 1 minute in it ejects the Disk with the "Disk Err" text, while ejecting the Disk i then get a "AUDIO OFF" text.
Old 10-04-2007 | 12:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by mustiy
2004 TL w/NAVI 51,000km (past my 3 year warranty)
Do you have just a 3-year warranty in Canada?

In the US, the warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles (110,000 km). Check your Acura/Canada warranty terms in the owner's manual packet to confirm the warranty is just 3 years; if it's 4 years, your CD player would be covered.
Old 10-04-2007 | 12:34 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

I called my dealer - they said the 2004 TL's have a 3 year 60km warranty on the NAVI, while the new models have a 4 year 80k km warranty

Im just above the 3 years with 51k km

Is there anything else i can try? Like a factory reset maybe? A electronics/computer reset? I wanna avoid going to the stealership. the radio AM/FM both work fine, the dvd navigation is A-1, its just the cd/dvd-a player in dash :-(
Old 10-04-2007 | 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

I called my dealer - they said the 2004 TL's have a 3 year 60km warranty on the NAVI, while the new models have a 4 year 80k km warranty

Is there anything else i can try? Like a factory reset maybe? A electronics/computer reset? I wanna avoid going to the stealership. the radio AM/FM both work fine, the dvd navigation is A-1, its just the cd/dvd-a player in dash :-(
I think the radio is made by alpine or pioneer. With alpine, I know that you can call them up and send if the messed up dvd drive, have them fix it for 150 dollars. Tr calling up alpine or pioneer and asking if they can fix it. Also I think the TL's have a 4 year 48k miles warranty on them. I would call up acura corperate and ask and I would have the dealer talk to a district manager to see if they can do the repair under goodwill.
Old 10-10-2007 | 05:20 PM
Racer

If you have the radio and NAVI codes, try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after a couple minutes. Also, you might want to try loading the DVD-A demonstration disk that came with the car.
Old 10-19-2007 | 09:45 AM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

I tried to load the original demo disk - nothing happened

I took the car to the stealership and they said the cd/dvd player needs to be repaired so they shipped it and is going to take 2 weeks for it to come back repaired. Now i have a HUGE hole in the dash for 2 weeks and its going to cost me 500$~ roughly to get it repaired with a 3 month guarantee afterwards.... Ugh i dont feel good.
Old 10-19-2007 | 07:42 PM
Team Owner

That's too bad. I had the exact same thing happen the other day but it only happened once and went away once I turned the ignition off. Mine has been freaking out on burned DVD-A disks with 90+ songs. It randomly skips tracks and finally did what yours did. I've been avoiding them and so far so good on regualr CDs but that's scary you had to pay $500. Now I'm paranoid.
Old 07-05-2008 | 10:06 AM
Sailwirl

I tried to load the original demo disk - nothing happened

I took the car to the stealership and they said the cd/dvd player needs to be repaired so they shipped it and is going to take 2 weeks for it to come back repaired. Now i have a HUGE hole in the dash for 2 weeks and its going to cost me 500$~ roughly to get it repaired with a 3 month guarantee afterwards.... Ugh i dont feel good.
__________________________________________________ _______________

If it is any consolation, the same thing happened to me. The mechanic at the dealership handed me a phone number of an audio repair shop and they refurbished it and installed it for $300 with a 1 year guarantee