Trouble wiring Accord fog light switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Trouble wiring Accord fog light switch

ok I have everything wired with a new harness and relay. I just can't figure out where to wire the hot from the car to the switch. I have the neutral connected (black), hot and neutral illumination so the switch illuminates, which works fine (red and red/black), wire going out to the relay (green), and acc from the car (blue) is what I can't figure out. I have read all the threads here but my car is a 2008 TL and the wiring under the dash looks different with different colors.

I tried tapping into the hot for the under-dash LED light and the green light on the Accord switch would light but the lights wouldn't fire. Didn't have enough juice to trip the relay or I screwed up somewhere??

Anyone care to be kind enough to throw me a bone where to hook that wire up at??

TIA
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Blue is your main power line. It should be hooked up to a direct power source and fused at 15A minimum---you may need to go to 20A. You can tap right at the battery, or use the power lead on the underhood fusebox (on the passenger (left) side of the fusebox, use the rearmost 10mm screw) and secure the relay on any screw available in that area. Sounds like you have everything else correct.

Originally Posted by Cheval
ok I have everything wired with a new harness and relay. I just can't figure out where to wire the hot from the car to the switch. I have the neutral connected (black), hot and neutral illumination so the switch illuminates, which works fine (red and red/black), wire going out to the relay (green), and acc from the car (blue) is what I can't figure out. I have read all the threads here but my car is a 2008 TL and the wiring under the dash looks different with different colors.

I tried tapping into the hot for the under-dash LED light and the green light on the Accord switch would light but the lights wouldn't fire. Didn't have enough juice to trip the relay or I screwed up somewhere??

Anyone care to be kind enough to throw me a bone where to hook that wire up at??

TIA
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwb993
Blue is your main power line. It should be hooked up to a direct power source and fused at 15A minimum---you may need to go to 20A. You can tap right at the battery, or use the power lead on the underhood fusebox (on the passenger (left) side of the fusebox, use the rearmost 10mm screw) and secure the relay on any screw available in that area. Sounds like you have everything else correct.
Sorry but I'm confused. This is for the power for the switch to throw the relay? most, from what I saw here, were just tapping into the parking lights under the dash with no fuse (that I saw anyway...).

I already have the harness on the battery with a 30-amp fuse and all that hooked up to the HIDs. Have a wire going into the cabin that is hooked to the green wire of the accord fog light switch.

Sorry if I got lost. I like electrical stuff but I looked under the dash at so many wires that I feel like I have multi-colored spaghetti burned into my cornea.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Drifting

Maybe this can help:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/accord-fogs-wiring-help-746956/
Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwb993
Thanks X eleventy billion!! I've searched and have 20+ acurazine tabs open on fogs/HIDs/switches but that one I seem to have missed. In that thread you posted a link on post #4 to another thread and the first picture in it did the trick. That one I needed to tap was so high up that I didn't see it(I'm tall so need to duck down lower to see it). Grabbed the multimeter anbd it checked out that it was hot when the parking lights were on. I wired it up and the green indicator light worked on the switch but the fogs still wouldn't fire. I decided to add one more ground under the hood on the opposite side of the engine bay and voilà the HIDs fired.

I'm not sure if it needs more grounding the ENTIRE time or just when the lights first fire. So if anyone else is having the same problem, and it's wired up right, maybe try adding another ground.

Thanks for the help dwb993!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Drifting

Post pics!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Instructor

ok I'll try and take some pics.

The only problem I see is they're not as bright as I thought they would be and they're awfully blue. I got the ddm 6k ones and on here they were saying that those match the 4300k of the stock headlights but dang they're A LOT bluer. Still not sure what to do.