Transmission failure '05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
^^^ search for the diy. If you turn your steering wheel all the way to the right and look at your front driver wheel well you can remove the plastic cover and have access to the switches. It's easy, you remove the two connectors and put a 22mm (iirc) and loosen it and put the new one on.
The following users liked this post:
BukvaMan (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you DIY your 3x3? I'd love to do it myself, but I think I'd probably need some hand-holding (besides the fact that I don't have a garage that I can do it in since I live in an apt right now).

I'm moving out to Dublin next month, so I won't be too far away from you!

Yeah, I think I'll do the switches at every 30-40K miles.

Originally Posted by P1zzaman
I did my first 3x3 over the span of 2000 miles. I just did my switches at 58k.

Im planning on doing switch replacement every 30k from now pn and 1 x 3 trans flush every other oil change.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM
AVB for President!

I have about 300 miles on the new tranny. Did you put in Type F or D4 (or equivalent)?

I like the idea of using Type F, but perhaps based on the way people are describing the feel, maybe I may want to use 1/2 Type F, and 1/2 D4... What do you think?

To answer your main question Trance, i would do 3 x3 as soon as possible on your new trans to get the benefits. How many miles on your new trans??
Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by TLTrance
I have about 300 miles on the new tranny. Did you put in Type F or D4 (or equivalent)?

I like the idea of using Type F, but perhaps based on the way people are describing the feel, maybe I may want to use 1/2 Type F, and 1/2 D4... What do you think?
I would do all Type F for the first drain and fill since that will put you around 50% of each. See how you like it and decide from there if you want more of the same. If you do the switches and fluid you won't have harsh shifts, they will be better than stock.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Racer

Did you DIY your 3x3? I'd love to do it myself, but I think I'd probably need some hand-holding (besides the fact that I don't have a garage that I can do it in since I live in an apt right now).

I'm moving out to Dublin next month, so I won't be too far away from you!

Yeah, I think I'll do the switches at every 30-40K miles.
I don't think your talking to me about this one? but the 3x3 is very easy, all you need is a socket wrench, a long funnel, and a 17mm socket. Go underneath the car once on jack stands and look for the blue bolt that you put the wrench on, it's 1/4 and the wrench goes right in without a socket, push towards the rear of the car to loosen, and drain. As for filling, there is a 17mm bolt right on top of the transmission, look to the left of the rectangular fuse box and directly down you'll see it. I did this without a garage, just use a jack to jack the center of the car and put a jack stand for support. I did this, my review is that the type f fluid does indeed shift faster and firmer with no slipping however it is (to me and some) that the firmer shifts are sometimes harsh, causing a lunge effect when it shifts, a blend is what I recommend as I did another drain and fill (4x3) but the last one is with regular Amsoil atf and it shifts a little smoother.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts

Hey,

ya that should be fine, 1/2 and 1/2.

As for DIY, it's pretty easy, only hard part is un-tightening the fill and drain bolt. You would need a breaker bar.

See if this video helps, made by yours truly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71w0QE_X0Wk

Give it a shot. If you still have problems, I guess we can set something up, maybe I can supervise since Dublin is close to me. good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by P1zzaman:
Kodiak373 (07-18-2011), my.daily'tl' (07-19-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 PM
AVB for President!

Thanks for the video! Very useful! Now I just have to get ramps or jack stands...
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you use a breaker bar make sure you are turning it in the correct direction or you will strip a bolt.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wecoyote

Just had my 2006 TL automatic transmission fail at 85000 miles. The memphis dealer says its a complete hydraulic failure and the car requires a new transmission. I'm wondering if our series is starting to have failures at 80K-90K miles. I never missed a service and all of the maintenance was performed at the dealership on schedule without fail.
I'm still waiting to see what the dealer says Acura may do.
Acura covered 50% without any negotiations.

There was a lot of discussion after this post where some people claimed there was a cheaper fix for it or a way to prevent this type of failure. What was the fix?
Old 07-18-2011, 05:16 PM
AVB for President!

The "fix" is to make sure you use better fluid, like Amsoil or Redline, racing (Type F, lightweight) or at least a D4 equivalent.

Additionally, replace the 3rd/4th gear pressure sensor switches.. Perhaps every 30-45K miles...
Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey,

ya that should be fine, 1/2 and 1/2.

As for DIY, it's pretty easy, only hard part is un-tightening the fill and drain bolt. You would need a breaker bar.

See if this video helps, made by yours truly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71w0QE_X0Wk

Give it a shot. If you still have problems, I guess we can set something up, maybe I can supervise since Dublin is close to me. good luck.
LOL great video dude.. too details for some ppl but a perfect "guide for dummy"

now if you can only do the same for the switches
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm gonna let you all know what happened to this Newbe.

On Thursday July the 14th 2011 my 06" NBL TL with 120K blew it's tranny on the 410 North in Brampton Ontario. No hesitation, no thump, no nothing. It just lost power and came to a slow hault.

Believe me I baby my car and never stressed it beyond any normal Canadian driving.

One thing I must add is that my Wife and I have been wondering about the cabin interior being really hot. Feels like the car's heater is always on. If you drive with the windows up, it's even worse.....

We believe that the tranny has been producing all of this heat and is possibly a symptom...IMO

I took my car too acura 2000 in Brampton and they told me that my tranny was gone and it will be $6000.00 for a new one or $3000.00 for a rebuilt. After that shocking encounter I was a little upset. I just did my 120K service which set me back over $500.00 along with my breaks all around costing just about the same.

Any ways, we have contacted Acura and they got back to me today to say they were giving me a new Trany and I just have to pay for the instal.

What do you guys think? Did I come out ok in this deal?

I think acura 2000 just made a new friend for life and now I want an 08' Type S
Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by narcotics
Believe me I baby my car and never stressed it beyond any normal Canadian driving...
Define babying your car. What type of fluid did you use to flush your transmission, how often? When was the last time you replaced the switches?

You can wash, drive like a grandma and heck even take tons of pics of your ride, your transmission is the thing that needs babying.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Racer

Maybe a transmission cooler is the solution to these tranny failures along with the 3x3 and pressure switches?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Team Owner

On Thursday July the 14th 2011 my 06" NBL TL with 120K blew it's tranny on the 410 North in Brampton Ontario. No hesitation, no thump, no nothing. It just lost power and came to a slow hault.

Believe me I baby my car and never stressed it beyond any normal Canadian driving.

One thing I must add is that my Wife and I have been wondering about the cabin interior being really hot. Feels like the car's heater is always on. If you drive with the windows up, it's even worse.....

We believe that the tranny has been producing all of this heat and is possibly a symptom...IMO

I took my car too acura 2000 in Brampton and they told me that my tranny was gone and it will be $6000.00 for a new one or $3000.00 for a rebuilt. After that shocking encounter I was a little upset. I just did my 120K service which set me back over $500.00 along with my breaks all around costing just about the same.

Any ways, we have contacted Acura and they got back to me today to say they were giving me a new Trany and I just have to pay for the instal.

Babying the car, especially if the switches were bad will actually wear it out just as quick if not quicker than driving it hard.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
Maybe a transmission cooler is the solution to these tranny failures along with the 3x3 and pressure switches?
It's not an overheating issue. A cooler will only extend the life of the fluid which is fine if you're using the crap factory fluid but not really necessary at stock power levels on a good synthetic.

The failures are directly related to sloppy, slow, soft shifts caused by too much FM in the stock fluid and bad pressure switches that cause all symptoms listed above.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:50 PM
AVB for President!

How much did they quote you for the install? My tranny swap at 107K came out to USD 910.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 PM
AVB for President!

I still think mine should have been goodwilled 100% since I brought up these tranny issues well before it actually died (and before my warranty was up). Mine went out at 106K (1K miles after the warranty expired!). I also mentioned that Acura's recommendation of changing the ATF every 60K miles or so is NOT a good one. Of course, they refuse to "officially" admit that, but every SA I've talked to has said that no more than 30K miles on the fluid -- one even said he changes HIS own every 15K (formerly Z1 fluid).
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It's not an overheating issue. A cooler will only extend the life of the fluid which is fine if you're using the crap factory fluid but not really necessary at stock power levels on a good synthetic.

The failures are directly related to sloppy, slow, soft shifts caused by too much FM in the stock fluid and bad pressure switches that cause all symptoms listed above.
I think that I read somewhere in the 04's tsb that the tranny had failures related to overheating or something? I could be wrong though. Anywho, is there specific evidence that states the failure is linked to the slow shifts? I ask because on my previous rsx I had z1 fluid it's whole life and never had an issue. I'm thinking it has something mechanical in there that's a weak point. I'm just saying that there are many cars out there with z1 fluids that are fine so there could be a flaw somewhere else.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
I think that I read somewhere in the 04's tsb that the tranny had failures related to overheating or something? I could be wrong though. Anywho, is there specific evidence that states the failure is linked to the slow shifts? I ask because on my previous rsx I had z1 fluid it's whole life and never had an issue. I'm thinking it has something mechanical in there that's a weak point. I'm just saying that there are many cars out there with z1 fluids that are fine so there could be a flaw somewhere else.
It's covered in the "racing atf" thread.

The '04s did have issues with gears overheating but it was due to a lack of lube. A cooler is always a good idea, I'm running one, but that's not the specific cause of the TL's issues.