TL A-SPEC install gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 07:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL A-SPEC install gone wrong

Today I had A-Spec kit installed on my 05 TL. The dealer f-ed my front bumper today. Basically by accident the tech used the wrong template. So I ended up with a drill hole 4 inches above the A-Spec bumper. I am wondering what is the best way to fix this? The hole is very small, diameter of a thin pencil. The dealer is paying for the repair. I need to know what is the best solution for this & will it ever show. Thanks,
Old 04-06-2006, 07:17 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

It's the dealers' f-up. Sounds like you should settle for no less than a replacement skin.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Have them replace the front bumper for you. You don't need to worry about having the paint match, of chipping due to paint quality. New bumper cover is the best way to go.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:13 PM
VS#03

Yeah....Get another bumper skin. The dealer replace my bumper skin due to a paint defect in the bumper, matter fact the paint match better than when it came from the factory.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by K-Shawn
Yeah....Get another bumper skin. The dealer replace my bumper skin due to a paint defect in the bumper, matter fact the paint match better than when it came from the factory.
I am bit worried about replacing the whole bumper due to the paint match. How hard it would be to have something like this patched, spot painted & clear coated? Does anyone know?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it will match BETTER if you replace the bumper skin/cover.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by aznbo187
I think it will match BETTER if you replace the bumper skin/cover.
Thanks for all your input, but I just can't get convinced to get new front bumper & have it repainted. I think I will tell them to fill the whole, spot paint & clear coat the whole bumper. I hope the body shop can do this well.
I wonder how much do they have to repaint, since the puncture hole is very small (diameter of a thin pencil)?
If anyone has some other suggestions, please post.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Dude, definitely have them replace the bumper!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
With the WDP a spot paint will show in different light as they won't be able to get the pearl in tha paint to lay the same as the factory portion .. you will see it in different lights ... get the bumper
Old 04-06-2006, 10:28 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 05TLTony
Dude, definitely have them replace the bumper!
Thanks for your post! What would be the advantages to have new bumper put in and get it painted over just spot blending? Am I running a greater risk that paint will not match?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
With the WDP a spot paint will show in different light as they won't be able to get the pearl in tha paint to lay the same as the factory portion .. you will see it in different lights ... get the bumper

Is this still holds true for Nighthawk Black?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:33 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GET THE BUMPER COVER REPLACED!! HANDS DOWN!!! Think about it...fixed? You took a perfectly good car in there and they messed it up....and you shouldnt accept "fixed"...accept NOTHING but a replacement OEM bumper!!

We wont mention the fact that you are counting on their body shop here? They couldnt even follow instructions that BEGINNERS here on the board could manage? Dont go and trust them now to fix it.....doesnt sound like they are real sharp.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is the dealer going to pay for the repair?I'd try to get a new bumper also.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TLSmithTSX
Is this still holds true for Nighthawk Black?
Not so much on dark colors out side of the fact that they can mix black wrong too ..
Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for all the replies! I will take your advice for consideration! If someone else has other opinions please post here. All the feedback is appreciated!
Old 04-07-2006, 06:27 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

We are talking about a dealership auto body dept. here.

This is usually the training grounds for the newbies. You are already talking about a mismatched paint application between the body and bumper. Now add in some wanna be body man's attempt to match the preexisting mismatched paint and you have a potential mess, or at least THREE tones of color.

Just forget it and get the bumper skin! Live with the two tones. Trust us!
Old 04-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
New bumper...it's WDP, it's not going to match no matter what.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:39 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Bumper. I generally favor less invasive repairs over more invasive but they can shoot the bumper as a whole unit off the car and it will be a uniform finish. A "spot blend" repair may look uniform today but will not look that way 2 years from now.

Personally I would not let them even think of blending the new bumper back into the hood and front fenders. Paint the bumper off the car and then install it and leave well enough alone.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:17 PM
10th Gear

Suggestion I got today: Since the drill hole is ¼ inch wide, it should be spot repainted.
I brought the car to local auto body shop in my area, since my friend works there. This is what they have recommended. Fill in the small hole in the plastic bumper then spot paint using original touch up paint from the dealer, and let it sit for 12 hours. Then clear coat the whole bumper excluding the newly installed A-Spec kit. They discouraged me from new bumper or whole repainting, since no matter what you do, it will never match factory!!! Sorry! They said customers are less happy with repainting the whole bumpers in this case on expensive cars.
My car is black, and the hole is only ¼ inch wide it will be very hard to notice anything, according to them. This place also warranties their work as long as you are the owner of the car.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:32 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Your choice totally (as I am sure you know)....but I would like to point out that the body shop makes more money on this repair (to repair a panel and repaint it in this case) than they would replacing the panel. Its in their best interest to repair...they make more money in labor instead of a high parts bill, which they make less margin. Think about the resale on the car....what would you think if you spotted this repair before you bought the car...would it kind of make you wonder what else had been installed incorrectly. Get rid of ANY signs to them doing the job wrong!! Just my 2 cents!!

From listening to it...it sounds like you really want to repair the panel though....not sure what has you stuck to this damaged panel so bad either....they duped it...get rid of it and get what you had when you went in there....a good new bumper...not a repaired bumper that may or may not show signs of this repair at a later date. I can tell you for sure if you replace it...you wont show signs. This matching the bumper color thing is WAY over-rated too......fact is....none of em match exactly under ALL light conditions.

Suggestion I got today: Since the drill hole is ¼ inch wide, it should be spot repainted.
I brought the car to local auto body shop in my area, since my friend works there. This is what they have recommended. Fill in the small hole in the plastic bumper then spot paint using original touch up paint from the dealer, and let it sit for 12 hours. Then clear coat the whole bumper excluding the newly installed A-Spec kit. They discouraged me from new bumper or whole repainting, since no matter what you do, it will never match factory!!! Sorry! They said customers are less happy with repainting the whole bumpers in this case on expensive cars.
My car is black, and the hole is only ¼ inch wide it will be very hard to notice anything, according to them. This place also warranties their work as long as you are the owner of the car.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

The suggestions you've been getting here are to replace skin!!!!!!

Oh well you will live and learn. Listen to your friend whom, I am sure, does a multitude of high end body work. As Mike said, no one has a perfect match between the body and bumpers.

At least as a newbie you will be able to use this in your next post about your bumper as we say those words, 'we told you so".
Old 04-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Racer

Sounds like he had his mind made up at the start so why ask for opinions?
Old 04-08-2006, 03:40 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Because he can and he should.

He will find out later that there is a wealth of experience and knowledge here when it comes to TLs. It has always been there for the asking. Now all some people have to do is take the advice they ask for. Most members have been down that road before, so why travel it again?

But till that time happens, we as the smug majority can only
Old 04-08-2006, 05:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by joed40
Because he can and he should.

He will find out later that there is a wealth of experience and knowledge here when it comes to TLs. It has always been there for the asking. Now all some people have to do is take the advice they ask for. Most members have been down that road before, so why travel it again?

But till that time happens, we as the smug majority can only
So I decided and new bumper it is! No spot painting!
Old 04-08-2006, 05:45 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

So I decided and new bumper
it is! No spot painting!
There ya go!!! Believe it or not.....I actually thought about that for quite a while last night after I got off line! Was concerned you didnt see what we were talking about and trying to find a way to make you see without getting overly pushy or offending (as if it was my car...lol!) but truely...we are a small fraternity here....and for the most part...most of us really do care! Its the Acurazine Brotherhood/Sisterhood! (remembering ya Xtin and I am sure there are others I am forgetting too!)
Old 04-08-2006, 09:03 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Okay Mr Smith, you may now use the laughing emoticon on me. A wise choice, trust us.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
There ya go!!! Believe it or not.....I actually thought about that for quite a while last night after I got off line! Was concerned you didnt see what we were talking about and trying to find a way to make you see without getting overly pushy or offending (as if it was my car...lol!) but truely...we are a small fraternity here....and for the most part...most of us really do care! Its the Acurazine Brotherhood/Sisterhood! (remembering ya Xtin and I am sure there are others I am forgetting too!)
Thank you guys for all the help. You are all GOOD Guys that care! Especially, MichaelBenz.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Instructor

I would suggest just repairing the bumper and having the whole thing repainted and relearned. It is fairly easy to repair plastic bumpers, especially only a small hole.
If this was RL’s, I would think twice before replacing new bumper, since you get two layers of cleat coat on RL’s and it is hand sanded painted.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:44 PM
10th Gear

Saga continues......A-Spec install went wrong…. went to pick up my TL today, since they have been replacing the whole bumper. I look close at my car, and the bumper has not been replaced! They have spot fixed the car.
I refused to take delivery, and told them that it is not up to my satisfaction. They gave me such an attitude; simply it was out of control. I have told them that since they have f-up, I will not settle for less than new bumper.
Also I told them that I need this in writing (new bumper replacement), they got even pushier with me. I was ready to call the Police. Finally, they gave me in writing that the bumper will be replaced.
They said that in 2 weeks they will have the bumper, since they need to order at cost. What is up with this, 2 weeks? Are they trying to locate after marker bumper? What are my rights here? Small Claims Court?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:08 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
It can take a little time to get a part, as long as they're going to fix it I'd be happy with that, it's drivable right? Or do you have a loaner?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:13 PM
10th Gear

Saga continues......A-Spec install went wrong…. went to pick up my TL today, since they have been replacing the whole bumper. I look close at my car, and the bumper has not been replaced! They have spot fixed the car.
I refused to take delivery, and told them that it is not up to my satisfaction. They gave me such an attitude; simply it was out of control. I have told them that since they have f-up, I will not settle for less than new bumper.
Also I told them that I need this in writing (new bumper replacement), they got even pushier with me. I was ready to call the Police. Finally, they gave me in writing that the bumper will be replaced.
They said that in 2 weeks they will have the bumper, since they need to order at cost. What is up with this, 2 weeks? Are they trying to locate after marker bumper? What are my rights here? Small Claims Court?
Also can the A-Spec kit be taken apart and installed again?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear about your TL dude.

I believe the A-Spec skirt can be removed and reinstalled into the new bumper. It will just leave holes in the old bumper, which doesn't matter. If they remove the bumper carefully, the clips can be reused. Only thing I can think of is you would want them to use a new adhesive (3M tape) rather than reuse the old one. Seems like this dealership is really shady. Definitely do not settle for anything but a new bumper. Best of luck to you!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
TLSmithTSX, for your reference, here are the installation instructions for the front lip:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=10
Old 04-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

You said Im not your fave fem mem anymore
Old 04-16-2006, 09:39 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by xtin
You said Im not your fave fem mem anymore
No...what I said is "and you were my fav fem member?"... after all the White Diamond Pearl and Plood (being in the WDP crowd). A bit suprised that my buddy was sideways smacking the WDP brothers so badly....just messing wit cha back! You are one of my AZ sisters....so doubt!!
Old 04-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

No...what I said is "and you were my fav fem member?"... after all the White Diamond Pearl and Plood (being in the WDP crowd). A bit suprised that my buddy was sideways smacking the WDP brothers so badly....just messing wit cha back! You are one of my AZ sisters....so doubt!!
Oh so is this a good time to say I not only hate plood and the wing spoiler but I also hate chrome wheels ?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Sec's Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh so is this a good time to say I not only hate plood and the wing spoiler but I also hate chrome wheels ?

Let me guess. You hate spaghetti and meatballs? Apple pie? Stars and stripes?
Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by streese
Let me guess. You hate spaghetti and meatballs? Apple pie? Stars and stripes?
I dont eat meat Not a big sweet person either.

Im just messing with Michael. We are homies
Old 04-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Sec's Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont eat meat Not a big sweet person either.

Im just messing with Michael. We are homies

I'm just messin' with you......... I'm not homie though......
Old 04-17-2006, 02:47 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Ah those cheap looking gun metal oversized rims are hokey too!! Crap...Acura knew they were such a mistake...they dont even have em available anymore!

Quick Reply: TL A-SPEC install gone wrong