Timing Belt + Water Pump Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Belt + Water Pump Change

Hi All,

I am a new owner of a 2005 Acura TL. Even though the car is running perfectly, it does have 98K miles on it and I know it is need for timming belt+water pump service.

I'm guessing most people here are the DIY-type; however, I certainly don't have those expertise.

I wanted to know if anyone here knows a good Acura mechanic in the DC/MD/VA area. I would love to take the car to the dealership, but I just don't have that type of budget.

So if anyone knows a good Acura repair center in the MD/DC/VA, please let me know - I would greatly appreciate it.

Other random questions:
1) Would you guys recommend any other service I should get done at the same time (i.e., spark plugs, wires, etc.).
2) Any good tire recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

-D
Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Hamilton Honda will do the entire job, with the tensioner for $498, oil change and loaner included. Can't beat that deal, so take a ride to Central Jersey about 5-10 miles east of Trenton.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
You should also think about the following when you have this done:

o Serpentine belt
o Hoses
o Yes, spark plugs
o Thermostat
o Any pulleys and tensioners in question

Plus anything else of questionable life. The change interval in mileage for the timing belt replacement is 105,000 miles. Depending upon where you are located, take a look at Curry's Auto Service. They tend to specialize in higher end vehicles so you might want to check them out. They are a little more than some shops.

Let us other locals know what you decide to do and how it goes.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:02 PM
JustEnjoyThis.

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
hamilton honda is cheap but the trip is far, im thinking about checking out curry's this week, i'll let you guys know how it turned out.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:56 PM
5th Gear

cabin air filter, why not right?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:56 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by lovelifee
hamilton honda is cheap but the trip is far, im thinking about checking out curry's this week, i'll let you guys know how it turned out.
Thanks loveifee, let me know what you think of them.

I'm still waiting to get my car registered at the MVA, been closed since Thursday and will open on Monday. Hence no update on the timing belt thing.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by frgarcia
cabin air filter, why not right?
This is a routine maintenance item and something you should be doing about once every 15,000 to 30,000 miles, or every year or two, depending upon the amount of dust and crap in the air where you driver your car.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dkalsi
Thanks loveifee, let me know what you think of them.

I'm still waiting to get my car registered at the MVA, been closed since Thursday and will open on Monday. Hence no update on the timing belt thing.
There are a bunch of places around the area that are perfectly up to this task. I know it is very hard to find a place you trust and would take your car to for such things and as anal as I am, I am more the open to hearing what others' experience is with shop around the area.

As of two years ago, the busiest Goodyear Tire and Auto shop in the world (yes, the world) was the one in Gainesville, VA. They are still a very good shop from what I understand and the Curry's which is within 2 miles of them know this so they know their competition. There is another little shop in the heart of Haymarket which draws people from DC and Maryland. The owner has been there many years and runs a clean shop, doing good work at reasonable prices. Haymarket Motors (Fred is the owner) is the name.

Since you live in Maryland, I would first concentrate on trying to find a quality shop locally if I were you. If you're close to the VA border, as in Rockville of Bethesda for example, that leaves McLean, Arlington, and parts of Fairfax to your search. I'm sure there are some quality places in your neck of the woods. Being as your car is an '05 with 98,000 miles, you do have a little time to locate a good shop.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
DIY the cabin air filter - parts under 25 bucks and save 100+ in labor for a simple diy

time for brake fluid flush
new NGK Iridium spark plugs
valve adjust always a good idea
Clean egr port system while intake manifold is off

Seafoam or your choice - fuel system cleaner
oil cleaner (seafoam good for this too) before oil change
gen3 has some issues with sludging of vtec sliders so run a good SAFE oil cleaner thru the system for 30 miles before change

look in phone book ads for smaller ad- private owner shop and honda acura listed as specialties
the problem with goodyear is corp has expectations of upsell on jobs

If the shop says `it never does the tb tensioner pulley on the 105`--run away as fast as you can