Timing belt gone? 04 TL 80K miles???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt gone? 04 TL 80K miles???

My mom has an 04 TL with 80,000 miles. She is out of the country this week and my brother has her car. He said the car will not start. He owns a car parts business and has a worker for him who is used to be a full time mechanic. He said he think the timing belt has snapped. How likely is this? Any other ideas or common problems it could be? I asked about the battery and he said he is sure it isn't the battery, because she has had some battery problems in the last few years.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the battery and starting system first, then fuel. Sounds like her brother doesn't know what he's talking about.

If the timing belt snapped, the motor is most likely trashed. My bet is on battery or ignition.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BradE
Check the battery and starting system first, then fuel. Sounds like her brother doesn't know what he's talking about.

If the timing belt snapped, the motor is most likely trashed. My bet is on battery or ignition.
I am hoping he doesn't, but in reality he kinda does. I am praying it is just some minor ignition problem.
Not sure how he came up with timing belt, but he said him and the mechanic guy have been working on it and have ruled it down to that.
AAA should be coming to pick the car up soon and I think it is just going to get taken to the dealer.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
I am hoping he doesn't, but in reality he kinda does. I am praying it is just some minor ignition problem.
Not sure how he came up with timing belt, but he said him and the mechanic guy have been working on it and have ruled it down to that.
AAA should be coming to pick the car up soon and I think it is just going to get taken to the dealer.
I would seriously doubt it, honestly. The belt just snapping, with that mileage, is pretty rare. You'd have to live in a very high heat area, and your mom would have to flog the car pretty hard, which I doubt.

Plus, if it was going to snap, it usually happens under engine load at high RPM, not just sitting somewhere and not running.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BradE
I would seriously doubt it, honestly. The belt just snapping, with that mileage, is pretty rare. You'd have to live in a very high heat area, and your mom would have to flog the car pretty hard, which I doubt.

Plus, if it was going to snap, it usually happens under engine load at high RPM, not just sitting somewhere and not running.
I agree. It should not be happening at this age/mileage. Car is in central NC (not high heat area) and not driven like crazy.

Talked to my brother he said he thinks it snapped when the car was starting. Anyways he is talking to people and trying to figure out where to take the car to.

And if it is the timing belt, I hope ACS is ready to hear from me.

Last edited by Tennisjon2002; 03-30-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Ouch that blows

I've never heard of a timing belt going out that early, but I guess anything is possible. Are you taking it to Performance Acura in Chapel Hill? I think Leith Acura here in Cary is a little too far if it's being towed from CH or Raleigh.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Ouch that blows

I've never heard of a timing belt going out that early, but I guess anything is possible. Are you taking it to Performance Acura in Chapel Hill? I think Leith Acura here in Cary is a little too far if it's being towed from CH or Raleigh.
Car is currently sitting in Durham. Not sure where my brother is going to get it sent to, I think he going to take it to some shop he knows some people at.
Car was purchased from Performance though brand new. If it is infact the timing belt I might consider getting it sent to Performance and getting Acura involved. But with how useless Honda customer service was when I dealt with them over the summer I wouldn't expect Acura to say anything but oh thats too bad.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 PM

Car is currently sitting in Durham. Not sure where my brother is going to get it sent to, I think he going to take it to some shop he knows some people at.
Car was purchased from Performance though brand new. If it is infact the timing belt I might consider getting it sent to Performance and getting Acura involved. But with how useless Honda customer service was when I dealt with them over the summer I wouldn't expect Acura to say anything but oh thats too bad.
I love my TL to death but my experience at dealerships have almost ruined my love for Honda and their products. I've never been so frustrated with a dealership/product in my life. Every time I go to the dealer, I end up leaving furious and broke.

The ONLY reason why I would recommend you taking the TL to Performance is because it was bought brand new there. It's highly doubtful but since your mom was willing to buy a $30k+ car from them, they may be more on lenient on the cost of the fix.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
I love my TL to death but my experience at dealerships have almost ruined my love for Honda and their products. I've never been so frustrated with a dealership/product in my life. Every time I go to the dealer, I end up leaving furious and broke.

The ONLY reason why I would recommend you taking the TL to Performance is because it was bought brand new there. It's highly doubtful but since your mom was willing to buy a $30k+ car from them, they may be more on lenient on the cost of the fix.
Agreed. If this is the timing belt and Acura doesn't cover the repair I will NEVER be buying another Honda/Acura after my experiences recently

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/honda-customer-service-long-735072/
Old 03-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If the belt broke and the engine being an interference engine, I don't know if the engine would turn over with the valves hitting the pistons, but if it did, when cranking one with any knowledge would be able to tell as there would be no compression in the cylinders with the intake or exhaust valves opened. Remove the oil filler cap, look at the rocker with a flashlight and crank the engine over. If the rocker doesn't move, the belt is gone, but conversely if it moves the belt is good. Improbable but the belt could have jumped under extreme conditions.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 AM

Agreed. If this is the timing belt and Acura doesn't cover the repair I will NEVER be buying another Honda/Acura after my experiences recently

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735072
Holy shit. I missed that when you first posted it

I hate to say it, but I highly doubt they will replace the belt for anything close to free. They are going to blame it on the car being driven hard or some shit like that and say it "prematurely warped".
Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I now know why Honda/Acura are still in business. They dont fix anything under warranty. They have given SO many people I know a hard time about warranty repairs. I dont think Id ever buy another Honda product because of this myself. They act as if everything that breaks on their cars if from customer abuse. They never take blame for defects.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I've actually never really had an issue with Acura not wanting to cover something under warranty. Some of the guys at the dealership can be a little stubborn but I've developed a good general relationship with Acura's corporate customer care.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by 08A-SPEC
I now know why Honda/Acura are still in business. They dont fix anything under warranty. They have given SO many people I know a hard time about warranty repairs. I dont think Id ever buy another Honda product because of this myself. They act as if everything that breaks on their cars if from customer abuse. They never take blame for defects.
and this is the exact same reason why I just bought a new honda, they have replaced 2500 dollar dashes on 6 year old cars free of charge, numerous times. Oh honda how bad of you. Also you've covered numerous transmissions after the warranty has been over, how bad of you. As well why doesn't honda cover half the stuff we complain about, those times its our stupidity putting on a part the wrong way, over-reving the motor, poking a hole in the leather, etc. Honda has been very kind to it's customers, if you want to see stingy go to BMW where they won't cover transmission diagnostics under the factory warranty on a 130,000 dollar car.

The timing belt is a wear and tear item. Severe conditions call for 60K replacement. Normal conditions call for 105K. Also the OP hasn't even told us half the details, it could end up being a bad battery or starter if anything. To the OP, first check if the arms are moving through the oil cap, if they are tell us if the car is making a clicking noise.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
.....The timing belt is a wear and tear item. Severe conditions call for 60K replacement. Normal conditions call for 105K.....
As far as I know, no where is it written that normal timing belt change out for the 3G is 105K or any specific mileage. Normal timing belt change in the 3G is due when the MID tells you to, i.e when you get a "4" on the MID.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

and this is the exact same reason why I just bought a new honda, they have replaced 2500 dollar dashes on 6 year old cars free of charge, numerous times. Oh honda how bad of you. Also you've covered numerous transmissions after the warranty has been over, how bad of you. As well why doesn't honda cover half the stuff we complain about, those times its our stupidity putting on a part the wrong way, over-reving the motor, poking a hole in the leather, etc. Honda has been very kind to it's customers, if you want to see stingy go to BMW where they won't cover transmission diagnostics under the factory warranty on a 130,000 dollar car.

The timing belt is a wear and tear item. Severe conditions call for 60K replacement. Normal conditions call for 105K. Also the OP hasn't even told us half the details, it could end up being a bad battery or starter if anything. To the OP, first check if the arms are moving through the oil cap, if they are tell us if the car is making a clicking noise.
Have you dealt with Honda recently? From what I hear they used to be pretty generous, but now they seem to not want to cover anything. Infact my Acura dealer the other week said they have pretty much stopped doing goodwill repairs. Obviously it depends heavily on the dealer.
The car was in no way driven under server conditions. It was driven by my 55 year old mom. So in that case it really isn't wear and tear if it is infact the timing belt. I am going to check up on the car later today and see if it has been towed yet.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
As far as I know, no where is it written that normal timing belt change out for the 3G is 105K or any specific mileage. Normal timing belt change in the 3G is due when the MID tells you to, i.e when you get a "4" on the MID.
True, I think the 105k is coming from the normal Honda schedule. The 4 has not appeared on the maintenance minder yet.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Race Director

Did your brother drive her car?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had two dealers in my area tell me they wouldnt work on a fog lamp issue I had in my vehicle because the front bumper had a a-spec spoiler on it!!! Great thing was that the one dealer refusing to do the warranty work was the one who originally installed the a-spec spoiler on the vehicle!!! Only ended up being a bad relay and I replaced it myself.

That is how bad Honda is getting.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Did your brother drive her car?
He drove my mom to airport in it and was keeping it until she gets back. I am sure he drove it a little bit, and he tried to start it the other day and this is when it all happened. Again lets not jump to conclusions about it definitely being the timing belt just yet.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Have you dealt with Honda recently? From what I hear they used to be pretty generous, but now they seem to not want to cover anything. Infact my Acura dealer the other week said they have pretty much stopped doing goodwill repairs. Obviously it depends heavily on the dealer.
The car was in no way driven under server conditions. It was driven by my 55 year old mom. So in that case it really isn't wear and tear if it is infact the timing belt. I am going to check up on the car later today and see if it has been towed yet.
Depends on the dealer. I have had no problems with the acura dealers I have taken my car too. I deal with one in NC and another in PA.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Race Director

No, I'm not jumping to conclusions, but that IS another piece of the puzzle that wasn't previously answered. The dealer will check the car's computer for over revs or other signs of abuse. As you said, we don't know for sure what the problem even is....Good luck. BTW, how old is your brother and is her car an MT?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

No, I'm not jumping to conclusions, but that IS another piece of the puzzle that wasn't previously answered. The dealer will check the car's computer for over revs or other signs of abuse. As you said, we don't know for sure what the problem even is....Good luck. BTW, how old is your brother and is her car an MT?
Car is an auto so there shouldn't be any over revs or anything. Brother is older and drives an 08 M5
Old 03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Race Director

Hmmm....Older? What does that mean? Older than you? So what, 22?
Old 03-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Good news, turns out it was just a coil pack that went bad....
Old 03-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Race Director

That is good news. Which coil pack was it? I'm just curious because I've never heard of a single bad coil pack preventing the car from starting.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
yes, about a month ago got a new dashboard from them for my TL with rental covered. And a few months before that my side mirrors started shuddering while going down, honda replaced the whole assemblies (painted portions, gaskets, mirror, etc) free of charge.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Good news, turns out it was just a coil pack that went bad....
just one?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I have no problem with Honda/Acura standing behind their products over the years either. I currently have three of same, all purchased new, all with at least 40,000 miles and no major or unattended problems.

O/T - Having a little trouble with the 7 Series?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...perhaps it was the flux capacitor coil pack. here theyre the ones that control the other coil packs