Think twice about valet parking....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think twice about valet parking....

This weekend I decided to let valet take care of my car at The Pelican Grand Beach Resort in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

A few hours after getting there I get a call saying that there was an incident with my vehicle.... First they tell me the valet guy backed into my car. Finally, they stated that the valet driver left my car in neutral, it drifted with my driver door open, and hit another car. Leaving my car as it is below.

They wanted me to take it to a Ford dealership where they would fix it at no expense. I had it towed -- the towing company strapped it down so hard they further dented my car. I was pretty close to hurting somebody -- somehow I managed to control myself.

:shakehead

Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Oh my fucking god!! I would have rip them a new asshole. How the fuck to do they manage to do this? Stupid valet drivers who can't even drive auto. It is heart breaking to see this kind of a damage to such a beautiful ride.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned

wow! thats messed up. On your ticket claim, does it state anything in the line's of "not liable"?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
How the hell can they get a dent all the way up there? lol

I would make sure you get new fender, new doorskin, and a complete repaint of your car out of this...
Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,518 Posts
I can't believe they threw a strap over the top of the car.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
thats more than skin damage, when a door gets bent on a rolling open situation- can mess the hinges and all the area up
Whatever they told you is less than half the story- ask to see the security tapes
Get an independant estimate first-maybe 2 then ford
May have caused a stress transfer to cause that upper dent, or is that what you say the tow company did?
unless they were trying to hold the door shut in some bizarre fashion- there is no reason for a strap across the car

There are 2 ways to secure a car to flatbed trucks/trailers-
the suck way (IMO) is to strap around the tires to the floor, and allow the car to bounce wildly on the suspension. The potential to loosen straps and have the car come loose is much higher- plus the car is bouncing more than normal- sitting on the back of something that is boucing over the road- those trucks are not softly sprung!

The good way (IMO) (and the way they ship cars) is to use the frame tie down points-- those hoops front and rear on the car, or the frame. Crank it down tight as humanly possible, compressing the suspension fully as able. This secures the vehicle and protects it and the contents from drastic motion. You cant always get the needed angle for the tie down chains on the front points- so they use the real frame- then the car is not going anywhere...the tow company hates dropping cars on the freeway- huge liabilty

You probably have the right to use any bodyshop- but go talk to ford as they want ---probably have an account with them~- valets stack the cars insanely close together- things happen- cars have dark tints, they are jamming to your tunes while looking for loose change and hot rodding around the block....
And lets not forget- the TL has a funky looking shifter gate, to someone in a hurry who may or may not read and understand English or the universal symbols in cars......

Want to cure yourself of ever valeting the car again???-
go to a nice hotel and wander over to the valet reserved parking- its up close because those workers run to them- look at how tight it is- places you would never try to get your baby in, they rip around the corners and back right in
Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by wikeddreamz
They wanted me to take it to a Ford dealership where they would fix it at no expense. I had it towed -- the towing company strapped it down so hard they further dented my car. I was pretty close to hurting somebody -- somehow I managed to control myself.

:shakehead
Ford only "at no expense"? THEY are the ones at fault. You have the RIGHT to have ANY dealership YOU WANT do the work "at no expense to you" (that is within reason). It could even be argued that the "towing incident" was DIRECTLY related to the incident so they should be held liable for that as well. Some people think they can "get away" with sending you to THEIR shop. They may be OK but what if they don't do something to YOUR liking, you may be stuck with them.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Race Director

How the hell do you leave an automatic in N?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
never ever valet parking your car.....i got my share of experience too.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Make them pay for it to be fixed at a body shop approved by your acura dealership.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
good lord.

sorry about that man.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

Valet FTL!

I never Valet my car, never ever. Sucks about your TL, I hope you get everything handled quickly.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by THTL
never ever valet parking your car.....i got my share of experience too.
There are a few (too many) places which are valet parking only in LA, without self-parking within a block. They usually put the TL up front at restaurants, though, so I can at least see it's not parked within 4 inches of adjacent cars.
It's usually stick shifts that get messed up. I've had valets kill my manual trans Integra trying to drive off, and a buddy's manual trans Prelude slid down a hillside and hit another car when a parking attendant failed to set the parking brake.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Damn, not only do you get a bad valet driver but a screwed up tow truck driver.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear

It's definitely a hassle to deal with. The manager of the hotel told me he would assume responsibility b/c the valet driver was completely negligent.

I put the claim through my insurance company and they're going to go after the hotel and the towing company. My insurance company recommended a body shop that they work with and they are going to guarantee the work. They fixed my girlfriend's CL not too long ago and did a good job. They're being a bit stingy on paying repairs though so I hope they don't cut any edges.

I'll post pictures of the finished product. Hope my car looks like new =\
Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Intermediate

why did you have to get it towed? it looks like you could have just driven it to a bodyshop.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear

The door didn't open past where it is in the pictures. They jammed it with the hit and broke one of the hinges so I couldn't open/close it.

Cop said it had to be towed -- I woulda tied and driven it home if it were up to me, but I was like 50 miles from my house.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Will Y.
There are a few (too many) places which are valet parking only in LA, without self-parking within a block.
my friend usually does this with his Boxster if it's Valet only, he asks if he can park the car himself and he will just "tip" the Valet guy. Some places are usually okay with that.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Damn!! My lady is now used to walking far cause i never valet. Sometimes ill drop her off in front if i can but after watching ferris buellers day off i never valet.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acura3GTL
wow! thats messed up. On your ticket claim, does it state anything in the line's of "not liable"?
I don't think that is legaly binding. You didn't verbally agree to it nor did you sign anything saying sure go a head fuck up my car if you want.

They put that on there just incase they mess up someones car and they think its legally binding. Maybe put one over on someone.

I think it should be illegal to put that on signs AND claim stubs. Why AREN'T they responsible. They crashed it.

I had one small scratch put in my rear bumper (Actually a paint scrape). The one time I vallet parked my 04 TL in the city. Wasn't worth the agravation to fight it. I haven't vallet parked my car since and probably never will.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to see it this happen man.....

i always tip the valet couple $$ when i gave them my key to park my ride in the front and i leave when they actually park my car in the front to prevent this type of shz happening...

hope everything works out, if not get a lawyer....
Old 05-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Advanced

wow what a retarded valet driver...i would be so pissed.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I never, ever, ever, use valet parking. Last time I used it was in my prior car in New York in 2003 (we were staying at the Plaza and there was no real alternative). I won't even park in my office garage in a space where you have to leave the key with the garage attendant—if I'm coming in late, I drive my other car (RX-7) because it is much smaller and can be squeezed in between pillars so I don't have to let them drive it. I dread the notion of some valet getting in the TL, having trouble with the clutch, and ramming something.

Your own insurance carrier will pay the claim with no problem, but if you have a deductible for collision or comprehensive coverage they'll require that you pay it. They then proceed through what is called subrogation to recover from the resort (or, more likely, the resort's insurance carrier), and the subrogation demand will include the amount of your deductible, any towing expense you may have paid, etc. The law recognizes subrogation because your insurance carrier is paying you a debt owed to you by somebody else—if you recovered from your carrier and then sued the resort for your damages, the insurance carrier would be entitled to intervene in the suit and to take away any recovery you win up to the amount they paid you (because the law doesn't allow you to recover double damages).

You will almost always get better service from your own carrier. It's worth being out of pocket for your deductible for a few months because the other party's carrier has no incentive to give you good service (after all, you don't pay premiums to them!).