Things to watch out for in used 04 TL'?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to watch out for in used 04 TL'?

Hello, I am looking to buy a used 2004 acura tl with Approx. 110k miles on it, and was wondering what some of the major/minor things I should check before actual purchase of the car. Any information would be greatly appreciated. One thing I did notice upon first inspection was that there was a decent amount of condensation on the hatch leading to trunk from backseat. Didn't think much of it but am interested to find reasoning for.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
probably a seal is deteriorated on that condensation issue. look through all the tsbs. biggest thing to be aware of is tranny issues

is this being sold privately or through a dealer? would recommend an independent inspection plus reviewing service history, if available, or seeing if any service info from prior is on the carfax

this car is also slightly past the timing belt/water pump recommended maintenance, so you should definitely try to find out if that was done
Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
With those miles and that age, the primary concern is absolutely the transmission. Everything else is trivial.

Unfortunately, it can be hard to determine when exactly it will fail. Poor shift quality, or slipping when cold is usually a bad sign.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely look at the fluid and make sure it's pink. At least you'll get an idea if the fluid was changed recently. If it's all dark and crappy you may want to think about it. How does it shift when you drive it?
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAF-FITI
probably a seal is deteriorated on that condensation issue. look through all the tsbs. biggest thing to be aware of is tranny issues

is this being sold privately or through a dealer? would recommend an independent inspection plus reviewing service history, if available, or seeing if any service info from prior is on the carfax

this car is also slightly past the timing belt/water pump recommended maintenance, so you should definitely try to find out if that was done
Yep and plugs as well, so the cost can definitely be significant when you add it all up. Tranny fluid swap if not done recently. Maybe even motor mounts.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Mhogan4491
Hello, I am looking to buy a used 2004 acura tl with Approx. 110k miles on it, and was wondering what some of the major/minor things I should check before actual purchase of the car. Any information would be greatly appreciated. One thing I did notice upon first inspection was that there was a decent amount of condensation on the hatch leading to trunk from backseat. Didn't think much of it but am interested to find reasoning for.
before you buy, run vin past insurance agent to see if car has an accident history or other claims...then as part of the sale make them do the 105k service...

1. if automatic, I would not touch it, those things use the SAME crap 5spd at that the previous cars use. Average life expectancy not so great. my 02 CL type S had it's first transmission replaced at 71K and I do MOST of my driving on the freeway.

2. front compliance bushings

3. motor mounts? they can be a problem on this car, my mounts lasted 118K before I replaced them.

4. do all of the electronics work? Hand Free Link is known to go bad and drain the battery

5. even tire wear?

6. Cracked Dash?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 AM
8th Gear

Really appreciate the responses. I unfortunately did not get to test drive upon first inspection but will be going back soon for a test drive/closer inspection with all your suggestions in mind. However, I did acquire the car fax which came up with car being serviced about every 9k miles with just one owner. Most recent service had engine valves adjusted, air/cabin filters replaced, spark plugs replaced and tires rotated and balanced. Finally, the car is listed at right below 8k and kbb has it valued around 7500, which at least around me is more reasonable than most of the tl's I've seen.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:58 AM
8th Gear

Also, the car was serviced at an acura dealership every time except one time at a Toyota dealership and is being sold at a dealership