Is there a guide to replace Fuel Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Is there a guide to replace Fuel Injectors?

like the title says, im trouble shooting a fuel consumption problem im having and i want to remove, inspect, and possibly replace if needed all the injectors

is there a guide or DIY on this? i checked the forum and googled it but didnt turn up with much answers.. also how hard or easy is this job?

i have basic mechanical skills... things like changing brakes, engine oil, transmission oil etc etc as well as just a basic set of tools.. does the job require any special tools?
Old 07-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
It's not a simple job. What exactly is your issue? Are you throwing any codes? Have you been running Top Tier gas?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If you wanna troubleshoot your fuel system, you should try doing a fuel pressure test. But it requires a special tool and the tool connects before the fuel rail; according to the Acura TL manual, so I'm not sure specifically if theres a way to actually test the fuel injectors itself unless you build something yourself but you can rule out the fuel pump.

Changing the fuel injectors is pretty much self explanatory, but requires removing the intake manifold.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:46 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
It's not a simple job. What exactly is your issue? Are you throwing any codes? Have you been running Top Tier gas?
my issue is my car is consuming ALOT more gas than it should be especially when driving around in the city... im averaging 13-14mpg on a full tank with around 80-90% city driving and the rest being highway...im getting IF im luckly 200miles on a full tank
even if i am able to do around 70% highway driving and 30% city driving.. my MPG will end up somewhere around 17 to 18mpg
im noticing that on the freeway im able to get as high as 27 to 28mpg as long as im coasting
but as soon as i get into the city im doing around 11-12mpg and thats with my feathering the throttle.. my car is burning through gas during city driving

car was throwing engine code P0172 Bank 1 Running Too Rich
i had brought the car into a shop to take a look at it and they initially said it requires a valve adjustment and so i okay'ed the job and paid for it... however after a few days the code came back and i brought it to the shop and they re-did the valve adjustment again... brought it home and the same code popped up again so i brought it back and they swapped the injectors around and did as far as i know a 3rd adjustment... the code no longer pops up however my MPG is still shit.. i refuse to go back to that shop cause its clear they dont know what their doing

i was talking with another shop that specializes in acura/honda repairs and they suggested it could be a leaking fuel injector.. im going to be going to visit his shop this Thursday on my day off and he said he'll run some tests on the fuel pump but he suspects its a bad injector

also another thing im noticing is through the Torque app and my bluetooth OBD-2 reader im able to see that my Short Term Fuel Trim on bank 1 is running high negatives.. it drops as low as -22% when it should be closer to 0.. i notified the first shop about that but they just continued to work on the valve adjustment for some odd reason

Last edited by champaned_out; 07-31-2016 at 02:51 PM.