Sudden Idle and shifting Issues Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Sudden Idle and shifting Issues Help Needed!

I have a 07 TL 3.2L with 130K miles well maintained and all scheduled services done. After sitting in my garage all week this morning when I started it up I immediately noticed the following problems:

The Idle was a little high so I let it sit and warm for 5-10 min before moving it.
The next thing I noticed the cold temp gauge never rose up from "C"
When I put it in gear and back out, the Idle held around 1500 rpm (too high)
And when I put it in D (Auto) it never got out of 2nd Gear and I also could not get it to go pass 2nd gear in Manual shift as well

So I returned home shut it off and started it up again and it had a rough idle but with the same results.

BTW, No CEL or information displayed on console.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JCS
Old 07-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Update!

I let my Acura TL 3.2l A/T run for up to 15 minutes today in 91 degree humid weather and the temp gauge never got off the Cold indicator.

Both Radiator hoses were pressurized and hot, Fans worked with A/C.
Idle was high around 1400 RPM's and I didnt bother to drive it again cause I don't won't to damage anything else since the same symptoms is still occurring at startup, warm/cold.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
JCS
Old 07-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know much about these acura tl'ls, I just got one, but I am a auto tech, if it's not going off cold I'll bet your coolant temp sensor failed. Car thinks it's cold, causing the high idle, also at that, the rad fans won't come on and it'll over heat, but the ecm won't know that of course. When you replace the sensor your gonna loose coolant. Also make sure to use some thread sealant with the new sensor, I'd recommend permatex thread sealant, it's a white half liquid paste.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Octanee for the reply, I'm somewhat leaning towards the Temp sensor or Idle control valve. Before heading out of town this past sunday, I started it up again with the same results but it finally threw the CEL on. When I get back this weekend, I will pull the codes to see if it leads me to the problem.

These Honda/Acura's is new to me as well. I picked this one up a few months ago for a good deal from the orig owner with all maintenance records. I've had to replace one of the window regulators and the front motor mount like many other owners, its appears to be a decent car.

thanks
jcs
Old 07-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

OK I pulled the code and it's throwing "P0118 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Circuit 1 High". I disconnected the Temp sensor while it was running and the car immediately changed it's idle and the Temp hand began to rise, but continued to creep up near Hot. Well the car is definitely not Hot because it's been sitting for the week since I;ve been out of town.

I'm going to replace the Temperature Sensor and I will report back.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Glad to hear it finally threw a code. And that'll deff be your issue. At least she's an easy one, my car has a rich code both banks I haven't been able to solve yet. I'm a mechanic by trade and scratching my head right now lol, still a few minor things to check that, shouldn't really be it, but who knows
​​​​​​👍
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Update!

Them darn Squirrels ate thru about six wires on the harness under the throttle body that terminates in a block and connects to the main harness. that explains the crazy symptoms after sitting for a week. I'm going to try and do some careful splicing.

thanks
jcs
Old 07-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcsinc
Update!

Them darn Squirrels ate thru about six wires on the harness under the throttle body that terminates in a block and connects to the main harness. that explains the crazy symptoms after sitting for a week. I'm going to try and do some careful splicing.

thanks
jcs
Glad you, found it, that sure sucks! Hopefully it's not at the start of a connector, that's the worst.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Octanee
Glad you, found it, that sure sucks! Hopefully it's not at the start of a connector, that's the worst.
Unfortunately it is. The bulk of wires that terminates a harness just below the throttle body and sit on top of the tranny/engine mating area. I was able to remove the terminating connecting end and get to about 1/2 inch of the 6 wires they ate. So I will try and solder in some 18g wire I got from Home Depot and use some heat sink sleeves. Hopefully I can get it done Saturday morning while it's cool her in GA.

What can we put under the hoods of our cars to keep them out cause I also have a 67 Mustang and so far they haven't touched it.

Thanks
jcs