Strange Radio/Nav/HFL Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Radio/Nav/HFL Problem

So, I've tried searching, but can't seem to find anyone else who's had this problem...

I have a 2006 TL with Navigation and Acura's MusicLink iPod adapter (the dealer installed it before I bought the car).

Anyway, about 50% of the time, when I start my car and turn on the audio system to listen to the radio, it takes about 5 seconds to respond after I try to turn it on, and then when it does actually start playing sound from the radio, there's no audio information in the LCD display above the center A/C vents. It's blank, like the radio isn't even turned on. There's no indication of the station it's currently on, no display of the current volume level (even when I change the volume) and the Audio screen on the Navigation system doesn't seem to have any idea what the radio is doing either. The on-screen graph for volume on the Navigation display is completely blank, and most of the time, pressing a radio preset on the Navigation touchscreen doesn't actually change the radio station. Also, when I then try to turn the radio off, it doesn't turn off, and the tuning knob has no effect either, although the preset buttons do work.

When I press the talk button for the Navigation voice commands on the steering wheel, I also get no response- no beep, no muting of audio. Pressing the HFL dial button brings up the HFL display on the MID, but it doesn't mute the radio and switch sound over to HFL audio. I've checked on the Navigation system's diagnostic pages, and everything is showing as OK- and strangely, the Talk and Cancel buttons on the steering wheel test OK too, even though they don't do anything when I exit out of diagnostics.

If I turn off the car, and then restart it, most of the time, everything comes back up properly like there's nothing wrong at all. I've also had a few times where everything starts working again halfway to my destination after I try to turn the radio off and on again.

I'm assuming the problem here is the radio itself (the unit in the lower dash), but I'm somewhat reluctant to start replacing parts if I'm not 100% sure, especially when they're costly and a pain to install. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with troubleshooting the infotainment system in the 3G TL? I've been trying to find a schematic of the overall system, but haven't had much luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, also, according to the Navigation diagnostic screens, there is an Error Active on the F-CAN bus, though I don't know if that might be related or not.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Since Acura MusicLink is an aftermarket, although authorized add-on and was installed by your dealer I'd take the car in and see if that is malfunctioning or have it removed and see if the problem persists.

About the F-CAN issue here is a link I found about that. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/navi-diag-display-f-can-section-645068/
See the third post in the thread for an explanation of what that is exactly. That could be the root of the issue as well as it is responsible for passing data between different components of the car.