Strange brake problem, 05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange brake problem, 05 TL

for starters no indicator lights are on, but i noticed when needing to come to an abrupt stop today behind a car i couldnt press down on my brake pedal all the way. while the car does come to a stop slowly i cannot press it down for immediate stops like normal.

usually the pedal is very sensitive. also one last thing my brakes, when i do have to slam on them from time to time will make a grinding noise(i can feel it in the pedal) when the abs kicks in, not all the time though. oddly enough my acura dealership said my breaks were just fine a few days back.

87000 miles on the car currently, owned it for a year, put 27k on my self. haven't change the brakes yet, i'm guessing they might need a change.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i too have the same grinding noise/feel in the pedal under hard braking but i also have a REALLY loud squeal coming from the front right brake under normal braking. i bought the car with 73000 with good rotors and new pads.

could it be a missing brake shim??
Old 07-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by NEMO1154
for starters no indicator lights are on, but i noticed when needing to come to an abrupt stop today behind a car i couldnt press down on my brake pedal all the way. while the car does come to a stop slowly i cannot press it down for immediate stops like normal.

usually the pedal is very sensitive. also one last thing my brakes, when i do have to slam on them from time to time will make a grinding noise(i can feel it in the pedal) when the abs kicks in, not all the time though. oddly enough my acura dealership said my breaks were just fine a few days back.

87000 miles on the car currently, owned it for a year, put 27k on my self. haven't change the brakes yet, i'm guessing they might need a change.
I have the same problem. Feels like excessive fading to me. Ever since temps are in upper 80's here vs. upper 90's, the braking has changed for the better.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
new what do you mean you cant press the pedal down?

you both need to do a real brake inspection with calipers off the rotors so you can see the pad face and rotor front and back

squealing nosie is often the special low pad warning tab hitting the rotor

dont drive with that going on

there is a TSB or 2 on the brakes- ck that list on here or go see the dealer
Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
brake fluid can have a bad affect on pedal feel and response
Flush brake fluid every year for best results
acura says start flushing brake fluid at year 3, but many have found really ugly fluid after 2 years-- I do it every year
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
brake fluid can have a bad affect on pedal feel and response
Flush brake fluid every year for best results
acura says start flushing brake fluid at year 3, but many have found really ugly fluid after 2 years-- I do it every year
By flushing, do you mean just suck out the old fluid in the reservoir and then refill, or it has to be done at the brake, and need to bleak out all the air?
I ask because if it's refill then i can do it myself, otherwise i may have to get it done at dealer...
Thanks
Old 07-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by NEMO1154

You need to define " i couldnt press down on my brake pedal all the way". That sounds like a leg issue lol.

If the pedal got really hard and did not want to move and you have to push much harder to stop the car, I would start with the booster. Look at the large vacuum line going to it first and trace it back to the intake manifold. Check for hissing and leaks.

If the pedal went to the floor, check the fluid level, check the master cylinder and calipers for leaks. Most likely it would be a bad master or bad caliper.

This grinding noise, are you sure it's not the normal ABS operation? The TL pulses quicker than some of the older cars.

Last, are you sure the pads are good? You didn't say if you have a 6mt or 5AT. 27,000 miles on the 6mt brakes is really pushing it. Between the problems stopping and the grinding, it could very well be the pads and in this case, the rotors are toast too.