Sticky Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 PM
05 TL 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticky Clutch

Having a wierd issue with my clutch. It's probably something stupid, but I really don't know any better. What happens is the clutch is harder to push down and when I lift it up, the gear engages REALLY low to the floor.

It doesn't happen too often when i'm driving normally. However, if i gun it in second gear to 6k RPMs it almost always is tough to push down and 3rd engages really low.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Well first off, you clutch pedal should not be hard to depress at all at any RPM in any gear (gears and the clutch having nothing to do with one another).

As for engagement beginning early in the release, that is pretty much normal for this car because it has a relatively short travel and an even shorter take up. Every manual 3G TL I've driven is like this.

Is this a fairly new thing you've run into with your car or has it been doing this for some time? My first impression is your hydraulic clutch control system or the control (diverter?) valve which dampens hard and sudden engagement.

I would have this checked out soon.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:56 AM
05 TL 6MT

When I say it engages early, its relative to when i'm normally driving. For example, if the clutch catches at 6" normally, it will catch at 2" when it "sticks"

This is a new thing with the car. Otherwise it runs flawlessly. I drove all day yesterday without the clutch sticking at all. I also did the 2nd gear to 6k and shift and it didn't happen. It seems to be pretty random.

Is there perhaps a fluid that may be low thats causing a loss of pressure?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tabularasa
When I say it engages early, its relative to when i'm normally driving. For example, if the clutch catches at 6" normally, it will catch at 2" when it "sticks"

This is a new thing with the car. Otherwise it runs flawlessly. I drove all day yesterday without the clutch sticking at all. I also did the 2nd gear to 6k and shift and it didn't happen. It seems to be pretty random.

Is there perhaps a fluid that may be low thats causing a loss of pressure?

Thanks for the help.
Possible on the low fluid.. give that a check. It's your clutch hydraulic fluid reservoir.

If your clutch begins engagement 6" up from the stop pad, that is very bad. Take note of that, make sure you're not exagerating, and have that checked out if the fluid level is not the problem.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:38 PM
05 TL 6MT

Man.. I'm lazy. It never happens when I drive normal so i'm not that motivated to look at it. The reservoir is actually too full. The fluid is also really dark. Think changing it out would help?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tabularasa
Man.. I'm lazy. It never happens when I drive normal so i'm not that motivated to look at it. The reservoir is actually too full. The fluid is also really dark. Think changing it out would help?
Yep, can't hurt.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
im having almost the same problem with my TL. the gears engage perfectly during normal shifts, but when i shift at over 5500rpms from 1st to 2nd the pedal sticks at about 2inches from the floor and it slowly comes up, when 2nd gear engages, it seems like it slips at first and then it grabs and i feel the pull...it is getting worse every time i race and i do quick pulls n shift over 5500rpms...

last night i raced the new hatch sti, 3rd to 5th gear pull, and i also felt that sticking from 3rd to 4th and, n from 4th to 5th and it lagged when engaging...
i have 100k miles in my car and i think its time to replace the slave cylinder. i know hondas are known for slave cylinders going bad since i had to replace it in my old 95civic n 01 integra.
also, i changed all my fluids at 75k miles, the fluids are still pretty clean and clear,

i just want to make sure that it is the slave cylinder going bad n not my clutch! it would suck if it is my clutch because i would have to drop the subframe n remove the engine.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
05 TL 6MT

Let me know if that fixes your problem. I never got mine resolved.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Racer

well, im about to go to the dealer and get it... damn dealer part only...it cost $98! i remember buying the one for my integra for only $22!!!

i also came across this video just now...check it out...idk if it is a good idea tho.... this guy eliminated the slave cylinder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq0-Mp4zWyY
Old 03-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Racer

also, how many miles you got in your car???
Old 03-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Racer

i just got back from the dealer... they told me to check for any leakages around the master and slave cylinders, but i dont see anything besides a greasy spot built up around slave cylinder pin head, which i believe to be normal since they put grease in there from the factory...
they also said more than likely it is not my clutch going bad but either the master or slave cylinder since it seems like it is not holding high pressure during hard/quick shifts....
now, i cant tell which one is bad since there is no leakage yet, fluid level still the same as it was last time i flushed the lines. i did noticed though that the fluid was just a little darker than what it should be when i compared it to the fluid in the bottle.

how the hell am i supposed to know which cylinder is bad? there is a $100 price difference between them two so i dont wanna just go and get one and not fix the problem, especially when it is a bitch to replace the master cylinder in this car.

idk what to do next????????
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I get the same problem every now then under high rpm shifting and i see many tl's with this problem that race. I dont know what the fix is but the slave cylinder delete mod doesnt fix it, but it def. is a great mod i love it. I been trying to fix this problem but cant find an answer, my fluid is new and everything is working fine. I honeslty think the TL cant take the abuse lol its not meant to race. Under normal driving its fine though.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Racer

when i went to the dealer they said the master cylinder used in the TLs are the same as in the s2000s and they replace a lot of those master cylinders...

ps: how do u eliminate the slave cylinder?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:34 PM
04Tl

wow didn't know that the s2000 had the same master cylinders and that sucks if that's the problem. and it's not the slave cylinder itself but the checkvalve in it. here's the link= https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/113-removal-slave-cylinder-check-valve-734300/
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Racer

yeah i know, i cant even see the master cylinder... its not gonna be easy to replace it. I also want to be sure it is the master cylinder n not the slave cylinder since there is a big difference in price!

i just got done reading that post, i think im gonna go tomorrow to the dealer to order the slave cylinder, im gonna start there, besides i dont have much to lose since after reading the post i want to eliminate that check valve too!

did u ever replace your slave cylinder? or you just did the mod to it?

im gonna buy a new slave cylinder and do the mod, maybe this will fix my clutch sticking and get me that good engagement the car should have...

i will let you know if it fixes the problem....
Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 AM
04Tl

never replaced my slave cylidner just did the mod let me know if it fix's it since ur replacing your entire slave cylinder at the same time.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Racer

will do,..., i got to the dealer too late today so i couldnt order the sc, hopefully tomorrow i can stop by before they close n have it by saturday, if that works out i will be doing the mod n replacing in on sunday!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yonkers914
I get the same problem every now then under high rpm shifting and i see many tl's with this problem that race. I dont know what the fix is but the slave cylinder delete mod doesnt fix it, but it def. is a great mod i love it. I been trying to fix this problem but cant find an answer, my fluid is new and everything is working fine. I honeslty think the TL cant take the abuse lol its not meant to race. Under normal driving its fine though.

I'm still experiencing this problem since I bought the car 2.5 years ago. I did the checkvalve mod hoping it would fix the problem. No bueno, problem still exist. Tired bleeding the clutch, again, No bueno... I've notice once the problem occurs and the clutch pedal sticks under high rpms... The only way to get rid of it is to push the clutch 2-3 times than it will go back to the normal state.

Other than that... problem still remains.

heres another thread that discusses the same problem
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=bleed+clutch