Steering wheel locks up when driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel locks up when driving

All,

Please help.
I’ve got a TL 2005 since 2012. It’s been 3 years owning the car, and there’s no major problem at all.
Suddenly yesterday, when I was stopped by at the red lights, I felt the steering wheel locked up.
At first, I thought that the engine was stopped, so I tried to turn off the car and then restarted it again, but still, the steering wheel got locked up. I really mean the steering wheel locked up since I couldn’t even make the right turn right at all.
For few second later, I was able to make a turn, but it’s as hard as if the car is park, and the engine is not on. With the steering wheel got locked off and on I was able to drive the car into a parking lot. At this time, the steering wheel completely locked up, I couldn’t even park my car straight in to the lot.
I got out of the car, opened the hook, and found nothing wrong. The power steering pump, the belt, the power steering oil are all ok. But the steering wheel was not working.
After an hour of resting the car, I gave it a try again, and found out the problem was “gone”. I drove home with the emergency lights on.
I am not sure what’s going on with the steering, but obviously it’s locking up when I was stopping at the red lights and it’s continuing on and off when driving from there to a shopping parking lot.
Does anyone know what’s going with the steering wheel? Does this will happen when I driving with a high speed?
Please help me. I was very scare.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts
Sounds like a power steering pump issue. Have you done the TSB yet? Search on here for it and see if they resolves your problem.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:33 AM
-NoSuchThingAsTooLow-

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Do you hear any strange noises when it goes into a "lock"??
definitely sounds like a pump issue.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:02 PM
8th Gear

There’s nothing strange show at all before it’s happening. I forgot one thing, my TL is manual transition, that was why I thought I the engine was turned off and that caused the steering wheel locked up.
Also, if the power steering pup stop, the wheel still be able to be operative but it’s just in the hard move.
I think there’s something else caused the problem, but couldn’t figure it out.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by tuine2006
There’s nothing strange show at all before it’s happening. I forgot one thing, my TL is manual transition, that was why I thought I the engine was turned off and that caused the steering wheel locked up.
Also, if the power steering pup stop, the wheel still be able to be operative but it’s just in the hard move.
I think there’s something else caused the problem, but couldn’t figure it out.
If the power steering pump stops working, it becomes hard to move at low speed. At higher speed you hardly notice that it's not working.
The following users liked this post:
tuine2006 (04-05-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 01:36 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
I'm thinking pump problem too but the "only sometimes" part is troubling.

1) Are you sure the belt and/or tensioner is good? A belt slip can be variable and typically more so at idle.

2) Is the power steering fluid filled up properly? Did you recently (or ever) add power steering fluid to the reservoir? If you did was it genuine Honda/Acura fluid? If not you may have a foaming problem. Very long shot but had to ask. If you did use other than Honda/Acura PS fluid you need to flush and refill with Honda/Acura PS fluid.

One thing is for certain is that if you lack the tools/skill/confidence to troubleshoot this yourself you need to have it seen by a professional.
tuine2006 (04-05-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 04:40 PM
8th Gear

All, thanks for your replies.

I'm thinking pump problem too but the "only sometimes" part is troubling.

1) Are you sure the belt and/or tensioner is good? A belt slip can be variable and typically more so at idle. I checked at that time, the belt/tensioner is good.

2) Is the power steering fluid filled up properly? Did you recently (or ever) add power steering fluid to the reservoir? If you did was it genuine Honda/Acura fluid? If not you may have a foaming problem. Very long shot but had to ask. If you did use other than Honda/Acura PS fluid you need to flush and refill with Honda/Acura PS fluid.
The Machines’ replaced a new power steering pump, and fluid since last month. As I remember, the part and fluid were bought from AutoZone, so I am not sure if that causes the problem (!!)

One thing is for certain is that if you lack the tools/skill/confidence to troubleshoot this yourself you need to have it seen by a professional.
The mechanic that changed the power steering, and fluid for me last month said that “power steering pump and fluid were not the cause, but the “spring” inside the ignition”. It’s too old, and loose, so it caused the steering wheel locked up (????). Does anyone hear this before? He also said that unless the belt was out, the power steering pump/fluid can’t cause the steering wheel to be locked up.
The problem is hard to test since it’s not regularly happens. After the incident, I tried to run some tests by driving around the neighbor hoods, with 30 miles an hour, but didn’t see the problem occurred again.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

If it was the ignition lock I'd hope you'd be able to recognize that as more than a stiff or hard to steer wheel. It would not budge no matter what. If the wheel is simply stiff or hard to steer your mechanic is very questionable.

Why was the pump changed in the first place? Where did you get the pump? Autozone may sell some Honda compatible fluid buy unless you were aware you needed it then who knows what you have. IMO there's no substitute for OE parts unless you are talking about performance or boutique parts. So if its some rebuilt autozone pump my money is on it being bad.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adobeman:
NBP04TL4ME (03-29-2015), tuine2006 (04-05-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I agree with Adobeman. If your ignition switch is the problem, as part of the vehicle security system, you should not be able to turn the steering wheel at all.
tuine2006 (04-05-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 07:08 PM
8th Gear

If it was the ignition lock I'd hope you'd be able to recognize that as more than a stiff or hard to steer wheel. It would not budge no matter what. If the wheel is simply stiff or hard to steer your mechanic is very questionable.
Honestly, I’ve learned lot of things from your replies

why was the pump changed in the first place? It sounded bad in the 10-degree morning, on the power steering pump side. The Mechanist said the power steering pump got bad, you need to change it. Oh well, he got it from the AutoZone (I still keep the receipt), as I remember, we needed to turn ours to get the discount. Also, the fluid was taken from there, too.
Where did you get the pump? Autozone may sell some Honda compatible fluid buy unless you were aware you needed it then who knows what you have. IMO there's no substitute for OE parts unless you are talking about performance or boutique parts.
So if its some rebuilt AutoZone pump my money is on it being bad. **sighs*** what should I do now?
I was spending 300 buck for the parts and labor, but look like It’s not doing any good(!!)
Question. If the power steering pump didn’t do the job, would it really lockup the steering wheel?
As I was in the situation, the steering was really locked up !!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you NEVER had this condition before he replaced the pump for a noise issue, I'm betting it's not in the steering column lock mechanism. I was originally thinking it MAY be the cause but then you provided more info later in the thread....sounds like a failing pump. Sorry.
tuine2006 (04-05-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 08:04 PM
8th Gear

Nova_Brad: the fact that it never happened before replacing the power steering pump. I think you've got the point.
However, I still thing that when the teering pump fails to operate, doesn't really lock up the steering wheel completely as if we stop the car and turn the engine off?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:31 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Assuming the belt was in good working order, the noisy power steering pump could have easily been fixed with about $2 worth of o-ring seals; this is a very common and easily fixed problem with the TL.

A pump that is not operating in proper order, by way of belt or its own internals, will perform precisely as you described - stiff, lock-up conditions. I speak from experience given a failed PS pump in my wife's previous vehicle - the pump's shot, not turning, or there's a massive leak in the system.

Get the car back to the mechanic ASAP.
tuine2006 (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 AM
8th Gear

All,

Thanks for the replies/suggestions. After few days thinking of what's going on. I decided to replace the current Power Steering Pump (got it from Auto Zone) with new one (got it from Acura dealer). I hope the problem is solved
Well, 9.5 out of 10 people immediately said/told me that the problem was caused by the PS Pump. I think I should listen.
Again. Thanks you all.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:23 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by tuine2006
All,

Thanks for the replies/suggestions. After few days thinking of what's going on. I decided to replace the current Power Steering Pump (got it from Auto Zone) with new one (got it from Acura dealer). I hope the problem is solved
Well, 9.5 out of 10 people immediately said/told me that the problem was caused by the PS Pump. I think I should listen.
Again. Thanks you all.
Your welcome. You got the PS fluid from the dealer too, right?