Stealership Quotes for recent '07 TL-S 6MT issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Stealership Quotes for recent '07 TL-S 6MT issues

So I took my car into the dealership the other day because they were running a "special" on transmission flush and I was due for one.

They ended up scaring me with a transmission fluid leak... showed me the underside of the car with fluid dripping off of it and some dark grease in the trenches from below.

Anyway they kept it overnight, ran dye through it.. no leak. Transmission is okay.

However, they did give me a list of other things that they thought needed my attention. The biggest things being a leak from the power steering pump, and my R engine mount was cracked with something leaking from the boot around it.

I've looked at other people having similar issues with transmission leak, not sure if this is the same case, but I've attached the diagnostic and estimate they gave me and just wondering what your guys' thoughts were!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
1) what is your current mileage?
2) when was the last time you had your brake fluid replaced? it's suppose to be done every 3 yrs (per your OM) not by mileage. if it was by mileage, then i won't be changing mine for a long time.
3) how in the hell is your coolant contaminated (does it look like the pictures)? MID code 5 is when it should be changed.
4) fuel system service...upsell, unless they can prove otherwise. is it the engine air filter they found to be dirty? then buy a filter and change it.
5) engine mount...any symptoms prior to going in for service (annoying vibrations)?
6) if the PS pump is leaking then get it fixed.
7) buy your own wiper inserts and replace them yourself.

some of this is legit, some of this is upsell....pick your poison accordingly.
The following users liked this post:
lummer23 (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
1) what is your current mileage?
2) when was the last time you had your brake fluid replaced? it's suppose to be done every 3 yrs (per your OM) not by mileage. if it was by mileage, then i won't be changing mine for a long time.
3) how in the hell is your coolant contaminated (does it look like the pictures)? MID code 5 is when it should be changed.
4) fuel system service...upsell, unless they can prove otherwise. is it the engine air filter they found to be dirty? then buy a filter and change it.
5) engine mount...any symptoms prior to going in for service (annoying vibrations)?
6) if the PS pump is leaking then get it fixed.
7) buy your own wiper inserts and replace them yourself.

some of this is legit, some of this is upsell....pick your poison accordingly.
1. I've got 68,500 miles on it.

2. I just did a flush of the break fluid back in October

3. I got into a front end accident last and had a brand new radiator and everything put in. Not really sure what the heck they're talking about it being contaminated. I also talked to the consultant and he basically said they drain it from the bottom, put a detergent with fluid in to clean out calcifications, run it, and refill it. I can do that myself.

4. i agree, I just replaced the engine filter 6 mo ago. Do in AZ (dusty)

5. No annoying vibrations that I heard, but eventually its going to have to be replaced

6. getting PS leak re-sealed

7. Will do

Not quite sure what the leak was coming from though..
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're going to flush your 6mt? How is that any different than just letting the fluid run out and putting in new?

Don't let them charge you their "transmission flush special" charge. It's not an automatic. They don't have to hook the machine up or anything. Literally just a spill n fill on the manuals. Managers love to get people with the "transmission flush" or coolant "contamination". The coolant shouldn't be contaminated if there aren't any internal gasket issues.

I'm not saying your gear oil isn't dirty or might not need replaced.It just sounds like that particular manager, or the tech who inspected, is looking to induce a little panic.

Also for the power steering leak. I just read a bunch of info on people have their pumps leak. The majority of them ordered a $1 O-ring from Acura and replaced it themselves in 5 to 10 mins. Most of them were ready to buy a pump like you are before trying this.

Last edited by Stariondriver75; 02-20-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
at the minimum....i'd just let them do the PS pump assuming the unit is failing.

i was actually laughing in disbelief over the laundry list of items that they gave you.

did they actually SHOW you the motor mount? if you have no weird vibrations (in the car or steering wheel or even driving) then they are full of it.

as far as the radiator...assuming the body shop the car was at for repair new what they were doing and added OEM fluid...i don't see how the coolant would be contaminated.

so did you giggle and laugh at the dealer when you got the list and then systematically went through it to discount everything they pointed out was wrong with the car? i'm glad my dealer doesn't pull this crap with me. they know i'd call them out on it, plus i've been going their long enough the veteran SAs all know me.