Squeaky Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky Brembo Brakes

I have a high pitched squeal from my Brembo brakes under very light braking. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how have you corrected it?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KATNWAT
I have a high pitched squeal from my Brembo brakes under very light braking. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how have you corrected it?
Yeah, I think we all have it. There have been several threads. It's the pads. A couple people have posted that they got a response from ACS that Acura was engineering a solution.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Safety Car

had the same problem, 2400 miles on the car now the squeakness is now almost gone. every now and then it comes back(i dunno why), but compared to when i first got the car its not squeaky anymore.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:15 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
i got around 8400 miles and got the squeak noise.... and thats on non-brembo brakes.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:07 AM
Pro

Me too. Seems to change after every wash of the car, but doesn't go away.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aegir
Yeah, I think we all have it. There have been several threads. It's the pads. A couple people have posted that they got a response from ACS that Acura was engineering a solution.
The only solution to work 100% is non-metallic pads also called organic, won't stop as good, but no squeak.

My solution is take th pads out and sand them usind dremel like tool http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html .

You could also try adding silicon greasse on the pads shins.....not the pads.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bitium
The only solution to work 100% is non-metallic pads also called organic, won't stop as good, but no squeak.

My solution is take th pads out and sand them usind dremel like tool http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html .

You could also try adding silicon greasse on the pads shins.....not the pads.
won't stop as well? no thanks i can deal with the squeaks.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:19 AM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK AP

I had the same problem and so i got out my WD40 and sprayed once on the disc brakes on the brembo and also on the rear (even though the rear didn't make any noise). Wondaba.... its gone now. Just one spray.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by cupidoneill
I had the same problem and so i got out my WD40 and sprayed once on the disc brakes on the brembo and also on the rear (even though the rear didn't make any noise). Wondaba.... its gone now. Just one spray.
yeah sure....but is only temporary for a short period of time, that is why they have slilicon grease that would last a lot longer......not silicon spray...
Old 04-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Advanced

I have the 6MT squeek and have 8k miles. I've had the squeek since day 1 but fortunately the radio is loud enough to drown out the noise............
Old 04-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rhaas
I have the 6MT squeek and have 8k miles. I've had the squeek since day 1 but fortunately the radio is loud enough to drown out the noise............
Stereo works for me too! Until there's a fix...
Old 04-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Advanced

brakes squeaking

i have the same god awful squeak from my brembo brakes too. it drives me nuts . i'm taking it in to the dealer this week to see how they can correct it. as far as i can see from the replies from this thread, there isn't a solution from acura yet. i'm rolling into 2600 miles on my TL and the squeak has been happening pretty consistently since day one.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by kelly408
i have the same god awful squeak from my brembo brakes too. it drives me nuts . i'm taking it in to the dealer this week to see how they can correct it. as far as i can see from the replies from this thread, there isn't a solution from acura yet. i'm rolling into 2600 miles on my TL and the squeak has been happening pretty consistently since day one.
I took mine in and was told that they couldn't reproduce it. In retrospect, it may not have been reasonable to expect the mechanic to take my car and go get stuck in traffic - which for me is when the squealing is worst with light pedal pressure. It may be a good idea to see if you can take the service rep for a ride so that you can demonstrate exactly what is happening.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:31 AM
Advanced

yeah, thats exactly what i am going to do. i actually took it back to the dealer in concord a week after i bought it to show them the problem but their mechanic could not replicate the squeaking. so i just thought maybe the problem will just go away after i break in the car. but its still there and thats why i'm going to bring it in again. its amazing that the service writers at the dealers (both concord and stevens creek) have never heard of this problem. either that or they are just playing dumb anyways, i'm going to request a tech to come on a drive with me and hopefully i can replicate it for him. but you know how these things go....whenever you bring your problem into a mechanic, the problem always goes away until u drive off
Old 04-21-2004, 10:29 AM
6th Gear

Dealer has a service advisory on the Brembo

I’ve taken my car in twice to my dealer with the squeaky brakes on my 6MT. The first time they “molly coated” the fronts and it took care of it for a short period. A few weeks later it got really bad and I took it in again. This time around they heard the problem and offered to “molly coat” again, but it would be temporary fix. My service advisor also showed me the service advisory from Acura stating that the 6MT with the Brembos are known to be louder and create more brake dust. It also stated that there was no known fix at the time and any remedy would be at the discretion of the dealer.

He recommended that I call the Acura national number and register my complaint. All of you who suffers from the same problem should make yourselves known.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Advanced

this is somewhat typical of high performance pads.. the easiest way to alleviate it is to drive them in a high performance way EG: be hard on the brakes now and again. I only once had a squeeking problem on my brakes - from driving soft for an extended period of time driving folks around.. but then i drove the car myself for a bit on HWY9 - and - voila - gone
Old 04-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Racer

I've got 4k miles and still have the same squeaky brakes when I bought the car. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but there are occassions--which seem to be at the worst times (i.e. pulling up to another nice car)--when it's truly embarassing. I called ACS and was told some mumbo jumbo about the pads being high performance, nothing wrong with them, etc.

Anyway, my first oil change is Friday, so I plan on having the dealer look at it as well, but am not expecting much.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by spdntckt
this is somewhat typical of high performance pads.. the easiest way to alleviate it is to drive them in a high performance way EG: be hard on the brakes now and again. I only once had a squeeking problem on my brakes - from driving soft for an extended period of time driving folks around.. but then i drove the car myself for a bit on HWY9 - and - voila - gone
Doesn't help me. I regularly push my car hard. There are plenty of times where it isn't practical to brake hard - stop and go traffic, pulling into a parking space, putting my car in the garage. Those are the times when it's an issue.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:34 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you for your responses to my concerns regarding the squeaking problem with the Brembo brakes. I called my dealer after posting this thread and their response was to "brake harder" which is not an acceptable solution. I also think it's a good idea to lodge a complaint with Acura's national number and I intend to do so. Perhaps if other people register their complaints we may get some satisfaction.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:12 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I never had squeaky brakes on my 6MT... I wonder why.

at 12k miles I tried every possible combination of braking , even 120MPH to 0 and didn't heard anything... they produce a lot of black dust, and get really hot, but I think that's normal.

keep us posted if you find a solution...
Old 04-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Powered by Guinness

I've decided it's the sound of my car complaining that I'm not driving her hard enough...so demanding!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Just to clarify - what i meant was that the brakes need to be heated up and used hard once in a while so that they dont squeak from the light glaze/wear from not being pushed now and again. i didnt mean that you need to brake hard every time you brake

just for an experiment, take the car out when its not busy out.. like now - take the car up to 80 or so - perhaps on the freeway - and then brake rather hard down to 45-50 or so.. do that a few times, then when you drive back home, see if it still squeaks.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:55 AM
Advanced

yeah it happen to me and i brought it back to the dealer and they reset the brake pads they said that was the problem and ever since no more sqeek
Old 04-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Racer

Just to clarify - what i meant was that the brakes need to be heated up and used hard once in a while so that they dont squeak from the light glaze/wear from not being pushed now and again. i didnt mean that you need to brake hard every time you brake

just for an experiment, take the car out when its not busy out.. like now - take the car up to 80 or so - perhaps on the freeway - and then brake rather hard down to 45-50 or so.. do that a few times, then when you drive back home, see if it still squeaks.
I did this and found the squealing to subside for only a day or so.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04TLBLack
yeah it happen to me and i brought it back to the dealer and they reset the brake pads they said that was the problem and ever since no more sqeek

can you tell us exactly what they did to get rid of the squealing? i went to the dealer this morning to try to replicate the problem but was unsuccessful once again. but sure enough, as soon as i left the dealer and drove to work, it squealed as i pulled into a parking space. :banghead:
Old 04-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Cool

Brakes do need to broken-in. A good way to brake them in is like you said push them hard and let them sit.

How I break in new brakes:
Near your home, or place where you can let your car stay for hours. Get up to 80 mph and hit your brakes, don't lock them but brake hard. Hold them until you get down to 10 mph.
Do this 4 times back to back. And then park the car and don't use your car until the brakes are cool to the touch, I prefer to let it sit over night or all day at work. **When you park the car DO NOT apply the E-brake.** You just heated your brakes up to very high temps and don't want the pad to "fuse" to the rotor, so try not to sit still with your brake engaged.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:31 PM
4th Gear

I called ACS a couple weeks ago and told the rep about the problem. At the time, I had 1200 miles on the car and squeaky brakes since I drove it off the lot in mid-March. She checked the computer and didn't have a single thing on record in their system on any related brake issues. She took my VIN and info and wrote it up--I don't know if it accomplished anything though.

I incidentally had to go back to my dealer a couple days later to re-tint the car, and my service rep (who was aware I was annoyed about the problem) said the Acura regional rep was in town and that he wanted to take a look at my car since he had some expertise in diagnosing these kinds of problems. He said something about using my VIN to document the problem for Acura. They specifically said bedding the brakes may get rid of the problem temporarily, but would probably not fix it altogether. So, they basically took apart the brakes, sanded them down, molly-coated them, and put them back together. He said that was the best they could do. Now, the car squeaks considerably less than before and kicks up less brake dust. Strangely enough, it stays quiet when I lightly brake in a straight line (traffic, stop lights) and squeals loudly when I make slow turns with the brake lightly pressed (driving around parking garages, etc.). It's more bearable, but still annoying...ah well...
Old 04-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Advanced

funny i dont have the squealing noise when i'm in stop and go traffic (going straight). the screech only comes when i slow down on a turn and apply the brakes; for example pulling into my garage or pulling into a parking space at the mall or grocery store. the worse thing about it is that its so loud that it draws everyone's attention and that is SO embarassing :smackhead
Old 04-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Team NBP Member

just got back from the dealership (seat memory module replaced). I asked my service guy about the brakes and he said that Acura was looking into a grease for the shims and not the pads, he said to give them a month.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear

This is my first post, and based on the thread I figured it would be a good one to choose. I purchased a new 6MT TL in Concord a couple of weeks ago, and ever since driving home I have experienced this same problem. It is a loud squeal that shows up intermittently, usually when pulling into a parking spot or when I'm in stop-and-go traffic. It is loud enough that everyone around notices it. At times, it can be almost piercing. I think the car is great, and have no other problems. Hopefully Acura will develop a solution as it sounds like many others are having the same issue.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Racer

its a normal thing for brembos to squeak a little. My g35 does it, and my friends IS300 with brembos does it too.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

between brake dust and squeaking, I don't see the point in getting brembos.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by acuraddict
between brake dust and squeaking, I don't see the point in getting brembos.
Drive both and then you'll see the point. There is a noticeable difference in braking.

Anyway, my brake "scream" has been reduced to a sqeak similar to a car needing new brakes. I'm now just over 5000 miles.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

Squeaky Brakes

I'm having the same issue w/squeaky brakes. My dealer said that Acura had warned them of this issue and to expect alot of compliants. I have about, 2400 miles on it now.

The dealer inspected the brakes and put "molly coat" on them (as someone else on the board mentioned). It helped for a few days, but it's back to normal squeaky now at very low speeds (restaurant drive-thrus; parking lots, etc).
Old 05-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kelly408
funny i dont have the squealing noise when i'm in stop and go traffic (going straight). the screech only comes when i slow down on a turn and apply the brakes; for example pulling into my garage or pulling into a parking space at the mall or grocery store. the worse thing about it is that its so loud that it draws everyone's attention and that is SO embarassing :smackhead
Experiencing exactlyt the same problem. Have yet to take it dealer but you can be assured I will !
Old 05-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Instructor

I have them too. I just turn the radio up. Until Acura comes out with different pads, there isn't much reason to haul it in because anything the dealer does will be temporary at best.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:39 AM
7th Gear

Unhappy Brembo Brakes

Brembo's are known to have squealing issues, and I have about 2k on my new TL. Unfortunately I was involved in a minor accident and had to brake real hard to minimize the impact and ever since that day, the brakes seems to make lesser noise. It only makes noises during drive-thru or parking. I believe Acura is working on this problem, but like I said, brembo's have a history of having problems with squealing breaks.

Try breaking hard as if you might be in an accident and see if that will reduce the noise on the breaks.

It is sad that we paid 30+k dollars on this car and the break makes noises that turns heads rather than the 270hp they put in this car...
Old 05-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Instructor

5400 miles and my squeeling has gone away.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

When you wash the car spray the rotors and calipers very well, the black goop will run out like crazy. It works for about a week depending how you drive. We were told by acura to do this at the car clinic.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:29 PM
6th Gear

Angry Katodvr

It is certainly unreasonable to have to put up with this kind of thing from a high performance vehicle. It's not good "advertising" for Acura either. My TL has about 3400 miles on it and it has squealed from day one, but only at low speed breaking as many of you have also reported. If you guys at Acura are reading these reports - figure this one out! Soon.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brembo Brakes