Squeaks when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 10:43 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaks when going over bumps

Hey all,

Can someone help me diagnose the root cause of this problem (so I can tell the dealer the correct info?)

If I drive over bumps on the road, I can hear a squeak from outside the car, on the driver's side of the car. I can't tell if it's the front or the rear, but it definitely sounds like the suspension. Not sure which part of the suspension it might be, but would appreciate some feedback.

Many thanks.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Hey Lore, I think I have the same problem you mention here. Did you ever figured out what the problem is when you spoke with the dealer? Mine squeak sounds like the front left engine mount because I've heard it squeaking even when the car is idling in my garage. I've had the squeak since the TL was new and thought it may going away after a few thousand mile but seems to be getting worse...? Let me know what you've found out if anything.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Team NightHawk VP

im not sure about this one but it might be a bad bushing or bad shocks
Old 02-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Instructor

I heard of bushings but really don't know what they are? I thought of the shock but the squeaking sound can be heard even if the car is stopped. When the car is cold no squeaking.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had the exact same problem, going over bumps (even ones that seemed really small) would result in a squeak that was very annoying.

Its hard to tell where the squeak is coming from but I managed to locate it to somewhere behind me instead of in front. When I took it to the dealer last time they looked and found that the trunk springs, even when the trunk is closed and latched, were the problem.. They replaced them and I haven't heard it in the 3 months since.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:29 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

No, the dealer was unable to duplicate the problem (not surprisingly, since I didn't ever hear it consistently either) but I'm almost certain it happens behind me. I also think it's probably a bushing that needs some lubrication, if anything. Probably nothing serious.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Maybe it's the sway bar bushing mounts? Teflon tape on the bar may help.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by golferboy1862
I heard of bushings but really don't know what they are? I thought of the shock but the squeaking sound can be heard even if the car is stopped. When the car is cold no squeaking.
What do you mean by "when the car is stopped"?

Is the motor running, are you pushing up and down on the bumpers, is someone inside the car jumping up and down, or does it just sit there, motionless, with the engine off, and squeak? And it only does it when it is hot, which points to metal contracting, or maybe plastic rubbing on something.

We really need to accurately pinpoint the exact conditions when you hear the squeak.

Bushings are round metal tubes that fit around a shaft, like where your shock goes on, so if you scratch or wear out the bushing, it can be replaced without replacing the whole shaft. They can also be made of plastic or similar materials, for sound reduction purposes.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Instructor

The squeak only happens when the motor is running but more noticeable when the car is moving. I've rolled (with the button lol) the window down and driven slowly in my underground parking lot to see if the squeak is still there. When the car isn't moving I've pinpointed the squeak to the left front right behind the wheel. As I mentioned the squeak only happens when the car has come up to operating temp. I can't really describe the type of squeak but definitely not metal on metal. Can't hear it with the windows closed either. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Administrator

There have been some reports of a heat shield underneath the engine making noise, but that is more of a rattle than a squeak. I just put a thread in the photo gallery where you can see pictures of the underbody, which will help you know what it looks like under there.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Thanks Ron. I can see this maybe a tough one to pinpoint.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:54 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by gabedabomb
Maybe it's the sway bar bushing mounts? Teflon tape on the bar may help.
Do you know where you can buy teflon tape? I could use some under the shifter gate...
Old 02-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Go to the plumbing department, get a roll for about a buck.

Plumbers use it all the time for wrapping around the threads when they screw on faucets, etc.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:25 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Hey Ron,

That's the white tape, right? What's that clear stuff that the dealer uses then? They call it teflon tape, or EPT tape, or whatever, but it serves to do the same: reduce rubbing and other squeaking type noises.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have same problem. Two months ago, I took the car to dealer to check it out and was told that they replaced or repair strut mount. Unfortunately, the noise is still there when I took the car home. Lately, I have not heard any noise ???. I do not know cold weather has to do with it ( bushing).
Old 02-13-2005, 01:35 AM
Instructor

Would a bushing squeak when the car isn't moving?
Old 02-13-2005, 01:41 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by golferboy1862
Would a bushing squeak when the car isn't moving?
Probably not!
Old 02-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lore
Hey Ron,

That's the white tape, right? What's that clear stuff that the dealer uses then? They call it teflon tape, or EPT tape, or whatever, but it serves to do the same: reduce rubbing and other squeaking type noises.
Not sure what kind of tape you are talking about. On second thought, I wonder if any kind of tape could be used to prevent a squeak in an area that gets constant motion, like bushings. I would think it would just wear out quickly from the rubbing action. We need a mechanic type expert to tell us what to use and how it works.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:27 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My dealer likes putting clear tape -- EPT tape they call it -- on areas that have rattling or squeaking. They put some around the rim of the moonroof area, for example, since I was getting some moonroof rubbing.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Asian07RL

Found squeak noise

In Dec. 2004, I took my car to dealer to check out the squeak noise when riding over speed bumps. Dealer repaired strut mount ???? but the problem is still there.
Today, I took the car back and the tech. told me I need a new LF strut but part has to be back ordered. I will bring the car back in May 6 to have new strut install.
I will let you guys know when the new strut install if this solve squeake noise.
I hope this will help you out.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

Yep, the only squeaks I hear are the springs in the back seat, and some screaming while I'm pimping in my TL.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:53 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpaLicious
Yep, the only squeaks I hear are the springs in the back seat, and some screaming while I'm pimping in my TL.
Are you a "back seat participant"?? Pretty good for a 63 year old.....

Butt-prints???? Just checking
Old 04-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lore,

The only noise I have ever gotten going over bumps is a "ticking" sound as the wheels ride over uneven surfaces. You would be hard pressed to hear it except for the times when I am driving next to another car or wall where the sound echos back into my ears. But I believe those were normal sounds from the struts.

As for you squeaking, it sounds like a defective rubber part. If you have the Comptech RSB in there with poly bushings then I might be inclined to point at those since poly bushings are notorious for making such noise. However, the stock swaybar bushings front and back are rubber which would never wear out so soon and generally won't squeak.

Like other have mentioned, it could be a bad strut esp. if it is accompanied by a clucking noise. The bushings could be ones on the control arms or knuckles. You really need to have a tech ride with you to diagnose it. Try to have the tech drive next to a wall where the road is bumpy. This may allow him to hear the noise better. A new car should not be squeaking. Good luck and keep us posted.

dsc888
Old 05-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Asian07RL

No more squeak

My dealer just replaced new L/F strut ( Front damper) today under warranty. There is no more squeak noise when go over speed bumps. Also, I also mentioned to Service Manager about rear driver side gaps. He told me to bring car back next week for adjusting gap. I am very happy with the service dept. at Montgomeryville Acura dealer. Just to let you guys know. They had replaced my seat covers and Memory Module in my car last Dec. without any questions.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AsianTL

I was hearing a thump from my rear when going over speed bumps- Montgomeryville Acura just replaced my pass side rear strut- problem solved- sounds like a defect in the struts !!!
Old 05-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Asian07RL

Yes, strut was a defective one.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by Lore
Hey all,

Can someone help me diagnose the root cause of this problem (so I can tell the dealer the correct info?)

If I drive over bumps on the road, I can hear a squeak from outside the car, on the driver's side of the car. I can't tell if it's the front or the rear, but it definitely sounds like the suspension. Not sure which part of the suspension it might be, but would appreciate some feedback.

Many thanks.
I too have experienced the infamous squeak as well. I am wondering if it is directly tied to the A-Spec suspension, or a PeterUbers discovered the rear air bag components.

I am apt to believe that my dealership screwed up something during the installation of the A-Spec....but it appears others have this issue as well.

Keep us posted as to how things turn out!
Old 05-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Like I said before, the squeak Ihad was LOUD, and kind of intermittent (temp/weather related) and on bumps, and it was the springs in the trunk.

Its 100% fixed now for 6 months.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Brother Sum

OK, I hope you guys are ready for this one. I also heard sqeaking/tapping the DAY after I bought my TL.. it was only at certain times and it happened when I was on slightly bumpy roads. I finally figured out it was my visor mirror cover tapping against the light above it on the headliner.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Instructor

So after 4 trips (and 6 days in the service bay) to the dealership and 80+ kilometers of test driving, by the technician, the front left squeak is finally gone. Work completed by the dealer to resolve the problem:

First visit re-torqued the front struts. This minimized the squeak for a week or so and then it came back worse then before.

Second time replaced left front strut but still squeaked.

Third time replaced both side swaybar bushings and links.

Forth time installed new control arms with no improvement. Finally, dropped lower frame, loosened all mounts, grease all mounting bolts and lubricated all the bushings.

The sqeak is gone which is great! I'm a little confused why the technician wouldn't lubricate first and then replace parts but didn't get much of a response other than the squeak was difficult to pin point. I was able to pinpoit the sounds to within a foot prior to going in for the first visit as I could sometimes hear the sqeak when the engine was running and the car wasn't moving. I tried to push for some compensation for the 6 days, 1/3 tank of gas and 80 kilometers but never got anything except a shitty EL (gutless) as a service loaner and a very small scratch on the driver side key hole.

Overall I'm glad the ordeal is over.

Other items fixed during these visits. Third brake light rattle, weird rubbing sound when tilting the sunroof up or down when it was hot outside.

Issues not addressed as of yet. Lost seat memory (happened twice in 10,000 kilometers) which isn't a big deal since I'm the only driver, and rattling center console which I've fixed myself.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
glad you gotten your squeaks and rattles taken care of.............
Old 07-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Instructor

I also have a squeak when I go over bumps slowly. It sound like it is coming from the rear though.