Slipping clutch issue? Need help diagnosing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:15 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Slipping clutch issue? Need help diagnosing.

Hello all, as some of you know, I bought the 6MT KBP from Rockstar143 a few months back and have been plagued by clutch and trans issues a couple months afterwards.

To be short and to the point, 2nd gear was destroyed and in turn, it ruined my clutch's throw out bearing. Because we had to take it all apart I decided to get rid of the stage 3 clutch it had and replace it with a more friendly setup for daily driving.

We rebuilt the transmission and I purchased the XLR8 Daily Clutch kit through Heeltoe (better customer service).

More info in my photo thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p.../#post15908136

So after being gentle for the breaking period (I put 600 miles on the car) I took it out one Sunday to drive and enjoy the car. Towards the end of the 4 hour drive around town, I starting giving it some more throttle and noticed a weird flutter around 3k rpm.

Here is a short example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zulxywti77...%20PM.mov?dl=0

It is jumping about 1000 rpm and then dropping back down to accelerate.

I could replicate what it was doing in 2nd-6th gear.

I had my mechanic drive it and he got similar results. When cold, the car won't "flutter" or slip, once warmed up, it gets worse and worse. He said it was actually slipping when it was given a little more abuse.

I then contacted Josh at XLR8 to see about this issue and possibly starting a warranty exchange/refund. He said to put another 300 miles on it and report back. I ended up putting more miles than that (500 or so) because I drive some highway to work. I was easy on the clutch during this time.

This past Friday I met up with Ivo (FamilyGuy here on Azine) and he drove my car and was able to replicate the "flutter" every time. 2nd and 3rd gear do it the worst.

Now I am over 800 miles since Josh told me to do that and today on the way home I decided to see if I could capture this behavior on film so I could make this thread.

I returned the following results. The first vid and last vid are within 10 minutes of each other. Each given full throttle, not easing into it, just enough throttle to keep constant speed and then to the floor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vujixqo81o...%20PM.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zopgv7t2se...%20PM.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsq81dq5mu...%20PM.mov?dl=0

Today, it definitely feels like it is slipping. The 2nd video seems to have done it the worst. However, the last video shows the rpms going up much faster than they should have considering the speedometer.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Well if the clutch is slipping... It's the clutch

I cant think of any other reason why your rpm would fluctuate while the car is in gear and moving.

Actually, it doesn't even seem like the clutch is slipping, but rather, taking a second to even engage at all. Very strange. It's too bad that switching out a clutch takes so much effort.

I assume the the shifter feels normal? I was wondering if there might be an issue with the clutch hydraulic system, but that doesn't seem likely either. You would have issues going into various gears, and your clutch engagement point would be very low... Like by the time you release the pedal 1/4 way, the clutch would be biting.

So if it's not the hydraulic system, it has to be the clutch itself, I'd imagine.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Race Director

Yes, shifting feels normal.

The engagement point is actually the opposite, it's very high up on the pedal.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
pressure plate is jacked up. If you want to test if it is slipping. Put the car in 5th or 6th and SMASH the gas. If the RPM shoots up and you're moving as fast. Then its a clutch problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by thisaznboi88:
TacoBello (01-31-2017), Undying Dreams (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 PM
Team Owner

Ok that is even more bizarre. I attempted to replace the CMC in my TL just the other day... Well, I did it three times, only to finally discover the CMC I bought was defective but I've become quite familiar with the hydraulic system. A low engagement point could indicate air in the line. A high engagement point? Hmmmm...

I assume there is no warranty on the clutch, as it is a wear and tear item, correct?

I hate to do this to you, but without dropping the transmission and inspecting everything, we can only speculate. It might be worth dropping and inspecting just to rule things out. I know it's not cheap, but I see limited options otherwise. It can't be the throw out bearing... Doesn't make sense. Is it the same flywheel? I wonder if because you put a new clutch in but kept the same flywheel, something wasn't jiving, and as you put more miles on, the problem gets more pronounced.

It can only be either the clutch disk, pressure plate or flywheel. And if one of them wasn't jiving with the other, it could also be causing major wear on it too. I assume the pilot shaft guide tool was used (the clutch alignment tool)? Just trying to eliminate other potential causes

Last edited by TacoBello; 01-31-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
pressure plate is jacked up. If you want to test if it is slipping. Put the car in 5th or 6th and SMASH the gas. If the RPM shoots up and you're moving as fast. Then its a clutch problem.
what do you mean by "pressure plate is jacked up"?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

The pressure plate is self adjusting system. either the springs are out of alignment or the springs on the dual mass flywheel is also messed up creating weird engagement point.

Could be a million things honest.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:16 PM
Race Director

XLR8 kit is clutch, PP and flywheel. Everything is new.

The clutch is not self adjusting and the flywheel is lightweight single mass.

PP makes sense...the clamping force just isn't there.

Thankfully, there is a 12k mile/12 month warranty. I will be returning this clutch and going with someone else.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:45 PM
Safety Car

sorry didn't realize that you had a single mass flywheel and xlr8 clutch.

Was the surface clean? Did you adjust the clutch pedal?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Hey Austin, have you adjusted the clutch pedal? I notice when I lowered the engagement point too low it was slipping almost like that.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Edit I reread that you did and it is higher than before so try readjusting that.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Does it have the check valve delete done?

Did you make sure to bleed the system, properly.