Simple Power Steering Rack Test - Give it a try.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simple Power Steering Rack Test - Give it a try.

So I have been monitoring an odd issue with the steering in my TL for some time now. Basically, the steering on my TL is not very confidence inspiring on long wide turns. It feels like there is play in it/imprecise. When your going around certain interstate ramps you can not simply hold the wheel, it feels like you have to make minor subtle corrections. However, on tight corners it does fine (although maybe a little overly boosted - but I chalk that up to the design).

With all the forum issues with the lower compliance bushing I was thinking it was that, but I believe another user (Elegant Type S) hit the nail on the head with his diagnosis in another thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/steering-turning-issues-842066/#post13497245). It seems that the cause of the problem is with the power steering rack.

I did some experimenting this morning and I think I have come up with a simple test. I think the car actually demonstrates the problem sitting still. If I simply turn the wheel (approx) 90 degrees to the left or (approx) 90 degrees to the right and hold it. The wheel will bounce slightly back and forth. It only seems to do it at a certain angle. I had to kind of play around with it to find the exact angle. In the video I am applying constant force the whole time, that kicking you see is the steering. The more I think about it, the more it seems to add up. It only happens on cloverleaf interstate ramps of a certain radius and there is this other wide turn on my way to work that it always does it on. I was wanting to see if I could get a rough idea of how many others see these results when doing this test and wether or not you experience the symptoms I describe with any wide turns.

[youtube]wxZQmqpw8f8[/youtube]
The following users liked this post:
totallytl (01-07-2013)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
I tested it for a few seconds, mine bounced just like yours (didn't feel quite as bouncy as yours) but I don't experience the issue you mentioned.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same steering rack "bouncing" issue

I tested my 07 TL after watching your video and mine definitely does the bouncing thing you mentioned. I've searched everywhere for an answer to this scary problem, thinking my wheel was going to come off mid-turn at 65 miles an hour. But knowing it's the steering rack now, I feel a little less like my car's trying to kill me. Any news on how much a new or rebuilt steering rack costs and installed? Can't be cheap.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
to OP: I am certainly no mechanic nor steering expert, but ...

I am inclined to think that this is more likely the pump, not the rack. Its the pump trying to hold a constant (high) pressure. I suppose it could be a minor leaky seal in the rack. Remember that the fluid pressure near the extreme limits of the steering position is about 1,300psi.

And I am assuming that you are not actually holding the steering firmly against the steering stop, as that can overpressure the system and blow a seal (if lucky) or damage the pump itself. If that is what you are doing, then that is the explanation for the symptom you observe.

If you are thinking there is a problem with the rack, what do you think is the problem? other than its not 'right'?

Last edited by dcmodels; 01-08-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't believe I found this thread, I am having the exact same problem! I knew I wasn't crazy. I hope that there's a remedy for this, as it's quite annoying on the highway.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
to OP: I am certainly no mechanic nor steering expert, but ...

I am inclined to think that this is more likely the pump, not the rack. Its the pump trying to hold a constant (high) pressure. I suppose it could be a minor leaky seal in the rack. Remember that the fluid pressure near the extreme limits of the steering position is about 1,300psi.

And I am assuming that you are not actually holding the steering firmly against the steering stop, as that can overpressure the system and blow a seal (if lucky) or damage the pump itself. If that is what you are doing, then that is the explanation for the symptom you observe.

If you are thinking there is a problem with the rack, what do you think is the problem? other than its not 'right'?
I fully agree. I would start with the pressure regulator.

One question for those with the problem, does it have this problem in the summer? I have a reason for asking this, something I've noticed with one of the changes I've recently made. Is it a slight kickback or a tightening of the steering? Some systems are a little crude in how they apply the boost. Anyone running anything other than OEM fluid?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^
Yes, GM makes a thinner semi-synthetic PS fluid for winter, very cold conditions, specifically for rack systems in the Corvettes. The older Saginaw recirculating steering gear GM systems did not have as much problem in the cold, although they could also have problems when way below zero, similar to those reported here. Did not think of that. I run a synthetic in my old 98 Chevy truck, and it has no problems down to -10 degrees.

The Honda PS fluid is much thicker than the average PS fluid, and non-synthetic. But I personally have never had a problem down to 5 degrees with my RDX.

Does the vehicle computer monitor the PS fluid pressure sensor, and can it report a problem? I would have to check my RDX manual, which may not apply to the TL anyway.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Burning Brakes

And one more thought - I would never dream of performing this 'test', that is, turning the steering wheel with the vehicle stationary, certainly not to the stop. I would never do that to any vehicle, as I consider it abuse of the entire steering system: tires, rack, pump, links, etc. And I want to strangle my DW every time she does it which is every time she drives. Allowing the vehicle to move only 1 inch as you turn the steering wheel, is all that is required.

JMO
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
And one more thought - I would never dream of performing this 'test', that is, turning the steering wheel with the vehicle stationary, certainly not to the stop. I would never do that to any vehicle, as I consider it abuse of the entire steering system: tires, rack, pump, links, etc. And I want to strangle my DW every time she does it which is every time she drives. Allowing the vehicle to move only 1 inch as you turn the steering wheel, is all that is required.

JMO
I hear you. I don't even turn the wheels at all when the car is stationary. When I back out of my driveway I'll turn the wheels as it's backing up, pause while it's catching drive, and start turning again as soon as it starts rolling. I've done this for the car's entire life. I'm sharing the TL with the GF this week since her car is in the bodyshop and she wanted to pocket the rental car check. This morning she was turning the wheel with the car stopped. I started to say something but I know how to pick my battles and this was one I didn't want to fight. I figure the PS system has had a pretty easy life, a week of this won't hurt anything.

If everyone had to start out driving a car with no power assist, this would come naturally to them lol. I drove an opel GT with no power assist on the steering and I don't think on the brakes either (can't remember though). Luckily it was a light car and parking lots were still no fun.

My GN uses a very similar hydroboost setup as the diesels. You can be mid corner and hit the brakes and feel the change in steering assist. Not a problem but it was noticeable.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by I hate cars

...does it have this problem in the summer? I have a reason for asking this, something I've noticed with one of the changes I've recently made. Is it a slight kickback or a tightening of the steering? Some systems are a little crude in how they apply the boost. Anyone running anything other than OEM fluid?
I only started noticing the problem a few months ago when the weather has been in the 50s and 60s. I chalked it up to being an older car, not the weather though. Running OEM fluid. It's definitely a tugging, like someone else is grabbing the wheel for a split second at a time and turning it slightly farther than I'm holding it and back, then a little less than I'm holding it. Sort of random steering like I'm sliding on ice for a split second. 110K miles on my '07.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Is a pressure regulator included in the rack and pinion assembly? Elegant Type S replaced his rack and pinion assembly and it fixed the problem:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...6#post13497667