Side Mirrors Sticking/Shuddering During Auto-Tilt

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Side Mirrors Sticking/Shuddering During Auto-Tilt

Question about my '04 TL. I've noticed that both the driver's and passenger's side mirrors are sticking during the auto-tilt when the car is in reverse. Usually they make it 50% down just fine and then they seem to get hung and shudder the rest of the way down.

My service advisor told me that the only fix he knew of was to replace both mirrors. He wasn't sure if it was under warranty but that they'd heard of that problem before although not terribly common. During that same visit they replaced my transmission (for free) so when I picked it up today I didn't think to ask about the mirrors.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Both of my mirrors do it so surely someone else has seen it happen with at least one of their mirrors?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ugh...i have that same problem, but i haven't exactly done ne thing about it...
this is, i believe, the second or third set of mirrors i've had...dealership swap while i was under the warranty...
Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by acegt1
My service advisor told me that the only fix he knew of was to replace both mirrors. He wasn't sure if it was under warranty but that they'd heard of that problem before although not terribly common. During that same visit they replaced my transmission (for free) so when I picked it up today I didn't think to ask about the mirrors.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Both of my mirrors do it so surely someone else has seen it happen with at least one of their mirrors?
The shuddering mirror problem has cropped up a few times- a couple of people have had luck applying lube behind the mirrors, but your service advisor is correct- most of the AZ members who had this problem had the mirrors replaced while still under warranty.

I think the search is still not fully functional, so use Google if you want to try to pull up a couple of other Acurazine threads on this problem.
G/L.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
...is there even a fix to this problem? i really don't know how you could really take the assembly a part, short from smashing the mirror completely off? then of course, I haven't seen the unit off the car - maybe there's a way in that way? i'd imagine there would be - something has to hold the unit onto the car right?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Instructor

I have the same problem and as well have done nothing about it yet!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
My guess on this is that there are plastic gears in the gear train in the actuator that moves the mirror. If the mirror gets stuck due to ice, debris or other "factors", it will skip and the gears will get some teeth rounded off. The more this happens the worse the rounding off and then even normal movement will cause skipping as the mirror moves. Vicious circle, skip is wear, wear causes skip.

I would think anything that could be done to reduce the moving friction of the mirror actuator would help but probably be short lived.

The actuator is about $50 and may be an easy DIY of not in warranty. Items 3 and 4 in this link
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Old 10-08-2008, 05:34 PM
10th Gear

Smile

I had the same problem which existed for about a month and was looking to go to the dealer this Saturday. While at work I went out to my car to get some things and I curiously pushed up on the mirror thinking what if...
and guess what? problem solved. Adobeman is right. teeth on the actuator and the gears on the mirror seemed to be out of alignment. Try what i did and see if it fixes. just push the top part of the mirror by hand until you hear few clicks then get in the car and put it in reverse.
hope that fixes yours as it did for me... all by luck.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Racer

Getting my mirrors replaced under warranty tomorrow, hopefully with some luck..