Shudder on accel at highway speed. Clutch makes it stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shudder on accel at highway speed. Clutch makes it stop

I had a mechanic take a look at this while he was working on some other things but he could not identify the problem. I'll get someone else to take a look but figured it was worth running past everyone here first.

If I get the car up to around 50mph or higher (on an interstate), and I accelerate (to pass a car), the passenger front wheel has a pretty strong shudder. It's very noticeable as the driver. The harder I accelerate, the more noticeable it is.

If I press in the clutch while accelerating, it instantly stops. So I know it's drive train and not wheels. The question is what is most likely causing this. The axle? Inner CV joint? Something else?

As always, thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i have an automatic, so it may be different, but i had something similar to what you're describing. we threw it on a lift and accelerated slightly, and we saw that the front, right wheel wobbled with throttle. it was expensive repair
not sure of the terminology, but something about an axle or a hub was replaced. it was ~ $1,100
Old 12-14-2009, 05:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had some noise happening when braking. It turned out that one of the clamps on piping was touching the V belt only when braking. What happens when braking, accelerating or even taking the load off, the engine shifts either to front or back, that's what happened to me, the engine shifted forward when braking, thus touching the A/C piping clamp. You might have something else, but just throwing ideas from experience.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys for ideas of things to check. I'm going to guess, but my probably seems more like erick3's. Looking forward to dropping another $1,100 on this car. I love the car, but repairs are expensive!

Not sure if I can do an axle/hub myself. Never done one. Anyone do this themselves or should I take it to the dealer?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
99% of the time, if you are just cruising and there's no vibration, but the vibration becomes very noticeable when accelerating, it's one of the inboard joints on the axles. Outboard joints click when turning slowly in a parking lot, etc, and inboard joints cause a vibration when accelerating. That said, it's more then likely it's just going to be an axle. Not too expensive, and labor it's too expensive either. Or you can attempt it yourself if you want

Sometimes it can be a little difficult to diag which axle it is, but if you can feel significant play when grabbing and pulling on it, or see it move around when underneath the car (front end up on jackstands), then that is most likely the bad axle.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Great. Thanks! I was trying to put it up on stands this week to put my winter wheels on, but I've run out of time with the holidays and travel plans so the car goes in on Wednesday for them to take a look. Depending on the estimate, I'll have them do it or attempt it myself.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Nismo TL yo!

sounds like the cv axel to me too
Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Had to replace both front axles.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Nismo TL yo!

are you lowered?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Not lowered at all. Do have RonJon Inspyre 19s on it though if that matters.

Was surprised you have to replace the entire axle. Can't you just replace the boot, or housing, or whatever?

Got the car back this afternoon. That definitely took care of it. Runs fantastic now!

Between a new clutch and no more shuddering, I'm a very happy driver and the car pulls like it was new! Now I just need some winter shoes to put on my OEM 17" wheels.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

OP -

Glad it's all fixed up for you. Figured it would be an axle(s) And no, you can't really just replace a boot, or other part, because they generally come as assemblies. Now, if it was in fact just a ripped boot, you could replace just that. But your actual joints were worn out, meaning there was too much clearance, and it was out of tolerance. That's what was physically causing your symptoms; you were feeling the joint "wobbling" around, to keep it simple.

But hey, it's all fixed, you're good to go, so all is well!
Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by acuratech239
OP -

Glad it's all fixed up for you. Figured it would be an axle(s) And no, you can't really just replace a boot, or other part, because they generally come as assemblies. Now, if it was in fact just a ripped boot, you could replace just that. But your actual joints were worn out, meaning there was too much clearance, and it was out of tolerance. That's what was physically causing your symptoms; you were feeling the joint "wobbling" around, to keep it simple.

But hey, it's all fixed, you're good to go, so all is well!
I dont know abot that. If the cv boot is rippsed and grease is spraying everywhere youd probably want to replace the whole assembly. who knows how much dirt and other contaminates got into the joint through the rip. Youd be safer repacing the whole thing since they are relatively cheap and the labor to replace these is not.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
I dont know abot that. If the cv boot is rippsed and grease is spraying everywhere youd probably want to replace the whole assembly. who knows how much dirt and other contaminates got into the joint through the rip. Youd be safer repacing the whole thing since they are relatively cheap and the labor to replace these is not.
After reading my previous post, I realized what I meant to say was that you can't usually just buy the joint (not the boot), rather you can only by the assembly (axle). Now as for the boot, I totally agree with you, that is should be replaced anytime it's ripped, for the exact reasons you mentioned. That said though, I simply wanted the OP, and anyone else reading, to know they have the option of just replacing the boot. Especially if you look at the price of an OEM axle vs. just a boot (OEM or aftermarket). Bottom line though, I generally agree with you. Just replace the axle if the boot is ripped (Unless it's a very tiny rip and/or it's just coming out a little from the band holding the boot to the joint)