Should dash lights change brightness when headlights turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Should dash lights change brightness when headlights turn on?

...because this is a new issue for me. From what i remember there were two settings for the dash lights, one for when the headlights were off, and one when they are on. So i could have them at "Max" when they are off, but when i turn on the headlights they would be to whatever brightness level i set them at, usually almost off or very low. But as of recent this hasnt been happening. If i set it "Max" when they are off they stay "Max" when i turn my headlights on, and when i turn the dash lights down at night when the headlights are one, when i go and turn them off the dash lights stay at that low setting.

Am I going crazy or is this an issue?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,147 Likes on 774 Posts
Back the instrument panel lighting down one level off "Max" (or however many levels below "Max" are comfy for you in daylight) through the MID-- that will result in the Nav display going into night mode when the headlights are turned on, while the Nav will stay in day mode when the headlights are off.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Back the instrument panel lighting down one level off "Max" (or however many levels below "Max" are comfy for you in daylight) through the MID-- that will result in the Nav display going into night mode when the headlights are turned on, while the Nav will stay in day mode when the headlights are off.
I dont have Nav so that is not really an issue. And i like it at max during the day when i dont use the headlights, but i could swear that when i turned the headlights on before the dash/panel lights could/would be different if i set them that way....but they are not doing that now. Even if i turn the panel lights down with the headlights off, they stay the same level once i turn the headlights on, they dont go any dimmer automatically.

I am really just looking for a confirmation that what i am saying is possible. I have owned this car for almost 3yrs and this has never been an issue, but as of a few days ago this function no longer seems to be working. But again, i could be crazy so let me know...

Last edited by blkaspec; 09-28-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What i do is set it all the way up without using the max button. Its very bright with lights off during the day and then when i turn lights on it dims a bit but still pretty bright. The max button will keep it max brightness all the time.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Dave88712
What i do is set it all the way up without using the max button. Its very bright with lights off during the day and then when i turn lights on it dims a bit but still pretty bright. The max button will keep it max brightness all the time.
So that's two Nos...does anyone think i am correct or is this a wash? I have an 06 btw.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Full of water...

so 60 views and only two comments...i expect more from you people, come on!

so am i just an idiot, or has my car just been doing something unnatural for 2.5 yrs and how its acting normal? because i know for a fact that it would change, even if set to Max, once i turn on the headlights....so everyone go out to your car, set your dash to "Max", turn on your headlights and set your dash to low, now turn off your headlights and tell me whether they automatically go back to "Max" or stay at that lower setting...now!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Not sure if i understand what your saying exactly but if you set your brightness all the way up using arrows that is not max. You have to actually hit the max button. I put mine all the way up without max. And when lights are off its very bright and when lights on its still bright but not as bright as when lights are on. They dim a bit but not alot b/c i set it all the way up. If i lower it it gets even more dim and then when i turn lights off they go back to very bright. Hope that helped.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
OK, Max is max all the time, right?

But you're saying that if you can/could set the lights kind of like this:

Headlights off: |||||||||||

Headlights on: ||||||

And the car would save the two level settings and adjust depending on lights on/lights off, right?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
OK, Max is max all the time, right?

But you're saying that if you can/could set the lights kind of like this:

Headlights off: |||||||||||

Headlights on: ||||||

And the car would save the two level settings and adjust depending on lights on/lights off, right?
It's that way on my 04, but there's a sequence to be followed that I can't extract from the owner's manual, kind of like the procedure for resetting oil life. It either works the way you say when you set it with the lights turned on or with the lights turned off, I'm not sure which. At the moment mine is doing what I want it to, so I'm not inclined to mess with it. There is always a decrease in brightness when you turn the exterior lights on, but you have to adjust it with the lights either on or off, I'm not sure which, to have the panel lights go down to your own setting. I would suggest that you experiment with it until you get what you want.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 PM
2nd Gear

I have had this exact problem on and off since I've had my 05 TL, and it usually occurs right after situations where I want to have my lights on at MAX, but with the headlights on (i.e. during a rainy day).

I don't know if this helps, and I'm not even exactly sure how to fix the problem, but I think it has to do with how you turn the MAX setting OFF. Turning it on, whether your headlights are on or not is the same: press the MAX button. You can't turn it on any other way. But you can turn off MAX either by pressing the MAX button (which will switch it between one below MAX and MAX) OR by turning it down using the lower buttons: < or >

I think the settings remain the same for both headlights on and off when you only use the arrow buttons to bring the lights down from MAX. When you want switch off MAX, don't use the arrows, only press MAX.

For example, I usually have my dash lights at MAX with the headlights off, and one below MAX when the headlights are on.

1.) With the headlights ON, I push the MAX button on then off, just to make sure that I'm not locked into MAX mode. I then adjust the brightness to whatever I like. Then,

2.) With the headlights OFF, I push MAX.

3.) When I turn my headlights back on, they should dim properly.

I'm not exactly sure of this procedure since I'm not at my car, but its definitely some variation on this.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If you have your setting to MAX the lights will not change inside your car when you turn on your headlights..

You need to hit the brightness level (the "+" or "-") to turn the max off.. then when you turn on your headlights your interior lights go into "NIGHT" mode.. The highed brightness level is not as bright as when you hit Max.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me.

Are you saying it doesn't retain the setting from when you turn your lights on and off and you have to constantly readjust?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:55 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
not trying to piss anyone off, but this is kinda a funny read. like how to program the clock on a late 80'a VCR...

my daytime setting (no headlights) is always MAX. If for some reason I MAX with headlights on, all I do is reset it down to night setting. Never had the two streams get crossed.